PDA

View Full Version : Oval / out of round craters

CJSF
2012-Jul-17, 12:55 PM
Are there any general suggestions or instructions for marking oval or out of round craters? I've noticed quite a few that seem to be either deformed or are on the side of mountain, so they appear to be oval. There are also some that seem to be almost squared off or warped.

CJSF

astrostu
2012-Jul-18, 04:46 PM
First, make sure that you're not looking at two overlapping craters. Otherwise, take an average of the rim. We don't have elliptical marking capability because of the added complexity this would create but lack of use in the past when it's been implemented.

CJSF
2012-Jul-18, 07:24 PM
Thanks. I think in some cases it is due to overlapping craters; however, I think some are just distorted, either through viewing perspective or due to nearby processes (i.e., other craters, surface subsidence, or other modifications to the surface or subsurface). I'll keep doing what you suggest - take the average/best fit.

Thanks again.
CJSF

astrostu
2012-Jul-18, 09:20 PM
Note that perspective should not be an issue. All of the images have been corrected so that it's as if you're looking straight down at the surface.

Shigeru
2012-Jul-18, 11:41 PM
Interesting! I agree with astrostu :)