PDA

View Full Version : Is that you, Shatner?

DoggerDan
2012-Jul-19, 03:29 AM
Seems like (http://geekout.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/18/william-shatner-boldly-goes-into-trekke-culture/?hpt=hp_c2) Shatner has gone boldly where no actor has gone before!

I enjoyed reading about how he's come to embrace the Trekkie culture. :)

R.A.F.
2012-Jul-19, 03:42 AM
Ya know...he looks pretty good for his age.

Gillianren
2012-Jul-19, 04:00 AM
I'm sorry--is this news? They've all been going to cons for decades. Check out the film Trekkies.

Trebuchet
2012-Jul-19, 05:22 AM
I thought he'd been lost in a fiery bus crash. And is currently being channeled by a genuine fake medium. "Priceline -- Ne-go-she-a-tor!"

HenrikOlsen
2012-Jul-19, 10:54 AM
Ya know...he looks pretty good for his age.
In contrast with Patric Steward who just looks pretty good. No modifier.

mfumbesi
2012-Jul-19, 11:32 AM
"Is that you, Shatner?" Classic. Nice read.

SeanF
2012-Jul-19, 02:42 PM
I'm sorry--is this news? They've all been going to cons for decades. Check out the film Trekkies.
Going to cons, yes. Conducting personal interviews with the fans themselves, not so much. The movie Trekkies was probably the first of this sort of thing, but 15 years ago doesn't really qualify as "decades."

And, possibly more importantly, having Denise Crosby express an interest in you personally ain't quite at the same level as William Shatner doing it. :) (Although there are no doubt those who would prefer the former!)

NEOWatcher
2012-Jul-19, 06:06 PM
I enjoyed reading about how he's come to embrace the Trekkie culture. :)
Like others here, I'm not sure what's different.
I think there are two things going on. He has always embraced the culture, but never understood why they go to such great length with dressing up and such.

I thought this was funny:

"I would wear a rubber mask, and use a funny voice, and usually they would say, ‘Is that you, Shatner?’ "

HenrikOlsen
2012-Jul-20, 11:21 AM
I think the difference is that instead of going to conventions to be Shatner, he went to investigate and document the trekkie phenomenon.