PDA

View Full Version : Star walk at summer camp

Solfe
2012-Jul-20, 02:40 PM
**I hope I got this thread in the correct area.**

I just have to share that my kids and I went camping where one of the activities was a 45 minute star walk. On the first night, the clouds were not cooperative, so we end up inside with our guide, Mary.

She took out a telescope, binoculars and a laser to show six kids how they work. When that was done, presented them with star charts and flashlights. Next, she walked the kids through the planets by size and gave them charts to compare stellar sizes and ages. Then she spent 30 minutes answering questions from 8-10 year olds.

By this time, the clouds cleared and our 45 minute walk started. I was very impressed at the 2.5 hour attention span of the children and the amount of dedication shown by Mary.

It turns out Mary also works at Buffalo Science Museum and Tiff Nature Preserve and has been doing this for years.

kmasterdo
2012-Jul-20, 06:43 PM
I think this is in the correct area, Solfe. :D It's a wonderful story! Thank you for sharing it.

redshifter
2012-Jul-20, 11:36 PM
Nice! Glad to see someone out there getting clear skies...

KaiYeves
2012-Jul-20, 11:43 PM
Sounds like fun! I wish I could have been there!

John Reed
2012-Jul-21, 02:39 AM
...camping where one of the activities was a 45 minute star walk.

Hey, you could add this to http://www.spaceplaces.org/ for others to discover and enjoy!

Solfe
2012-Jul-21, 03:48 AM
I would add it but it isn't open to the public. It is a cub scout camp. I will see what I can find out about the programs at Tiff and Buff Sci Museum.

Star Walk
2012-Aug-23, 10:24 AM
Nice story! In case you don't have such a great guide, you could use Star Walk app, which shows all the stars, constellations and satellites in real time ;)