PDA

View Full Version : Post Your Dinner, Redux

PetersCreek
2012-Jul-21, 07:28 PM
Now that we've made the move to CosmoQuest, I thought it was about time to revive the missing Post Your Dinner thread. If you're celebrating a special occasion, trying something new, or having something particularly tasty... whether you're dining out, ordering takeout, or making it from scratch...feel free to post it here.

Tonight's dinner is my homemade, hand-tossed pizza. One will be a Margherita pizza, featuring tomatoes marinated in balsamico, doctored up with a little prosciutto. The other will be the wife's favorite: Canadian bacon and pineapple. The dough has been slow-rising in the refrigerator since last night.

I churned tonight's dessert this morning: a very, very dark Askinosie chocolate ice cream with coffee and amaretto.

Buttercup
2012-Jul-21, 07:37 PM
I'll be over for some of that pizza. :-D Pineapple and cheese and a sprinkle of diced jalapeno please.

Tonight will warm up store-bought pork tamales for husband. I'll make "Spanish" rice to go with, and also pinto beans & jalapenos. Half a cheese quesadilla too. All will be served with sour cream.

Solfe
2012-Jul-22, 02:03 AM
Chicken on the grill, marinaded in cider vinegar (1/2 cup), brown sugar (1/4 cup), pineapple juice (1/2 cup) and Italian seasoning (to taste, for me a lot). Plus corn on the cob and potatoes.

Trebuchet
2012-Jul-22, 04:47 AM
Madame Trebuchet's family reunion/potluck was this afternoon. No room for dinner! Lots of good stuff at the potluck, however. Burgers. Dogs. (Both types.) Baked beans. Assorted salads. Chocolate cake. So full!

geonuc
2012-Jul-22, 08:58 AM
Last night I added mango to my otherwise standard salad of romaine, tomato, red onion, cucumber and radish.

Solfe
2012-Jul-22, 02:24 PM
Last night I added mango to my otherwise standard salad of romaine, tomato, red onion, cucumber and radish.

That sounds awesome. I love salad, so now I think I am going to try that... assuming I can find a mango. What kind of dressing?

geonuc
2012-Jul-22, 04:46 PM
That sounds awesome. I love salad, so now I think I am going to try that... assuming I can find a mango. What kind of dressing?
The addition of mango was really nice. I used a red wine vinegar, olive oil, coarse salt and pepper dressing, although I cheated and added some of my favorite bottled dressing: Girard's Light Champagne.

geonuc
2012-Jul-22, 10:13 PM
This thread is useless without pictures. :)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8016/7625147540_f72d012f5e.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/49925617@N00/7625147540/)
Cooking Light pasta with edamame (http://www.flickr.com/photos/49925617@N00/7625147540/) by geonuc (http://www.flickr.com/people/49925617@N00/), on Flickr

Pasta with roasted grape tomatoes, thin-sliced garlic, grated parrano cheese, thai and sweet basil and edamame. A recipe in the latest Cooking Light inspired me

Noclevername
2012-Jul-22, 10:17 PM
My dinner last night was a bowl of cheerios. I don't have pictures of it.

Tinaa
2012-Jul-23, 12:16 AM
Tonight we're having boiled shrimp, corn on the cob and a fresh chopped salad.

Noclevername
2012-Jul-23, 12:22 AM
Tonight; baked eggplant parmesan & ravioli, with a cucumber salad

redshifter
2012-Jul-23, 07:18 PM
Corn dogs sweating under a heat lamp at the local AM/PM...now that's good eatin'

PetersCreek
2012-Jul-23, 09:40 PM
My dinner last night was a bowl of cheerios. I don't have pictures of it.

Ooooooooocoo, Cheerios!

(Sorry. It was right there.)

Fazor
2012-Aug-07, 06:17 PM
Lunch, not dinner. A few weeks ago we decided to get food at one of the local Mexican joints. Great place (there's three in town that are all stellar.) Tara stumbled onto a new soup, "Sopa Azteca." It was wonderful, so we decided to make our own big batch to take for lunches.

I had a handful of tomatoes from my mother's garden that were about a week off the vine, so a little past their prime. So I tossed them in olive oil and roasted them. Fire roasted a fairly mild pepper on the grill, and sauteed some sweet onions and garlic. Then I pureed it all together and added to some chicken stock. Baked and shredded some chicken to throw in, and added a bunch of dried (since I didn't have fresh) cilantro. That's it.

Served with some freshly sliced avacado and a squeeze of lime juice, with some crumbled tortilla chips on top. It's so fresh and filling!

Swift
2012-Aug-07, 07:56 PM
My older sister and her husband stopped by this weekend and I made some burgers and I must say they came out great. I keep it simple: good quality ground round, salt, pepper, a little Worcestershire, a little garlic powder. Make some nice sized and thick patties and don't mash on them on the grill, it just forces the juices out.

R.A.F.
2012-Aug-07, 10:43 PM
Hamburgers....just got a hamburger press, and I can't wait to try it out.

DoggerDan
2012-Aug-09, 08:38 AM
OJ. I'm on a fruit diet this week.

Trebuchet
2012-Aug-09, 02:39 PM
Hamburgers....just got a hamburger press, and I can't wait to try it out.

My hamburger presses are at the ends of my arms!

Solfe
2012-Aug-09, 06:14 PM

My wife laughs at me when I use a coffee mug to flatten burgers and the turn it over to punch them out.

Buttercup
2012-Aug-09, 06:21 PM
Tonight it'll be Sloppy Joe's and onion rings and vegetable for husband; same for me, minus the meat.

R.A.F.
2012-Aug-09, 06:24 PM

Yeah...that was the "problem"...I can't make a "by hand" patty to save my life.

geonuc
2012-Aug-11, 09:06 AM
Tried a new place that delivers last night but couldn't decide whether I wanted an order of hot wings and a salad or a pizza and a salad. I settled on an order of hot wings, a pizza and a salad.

PetersCreek
2012-Aug-11, 09:41 PM
Last night, it was ribeye steaks and zucchini on the grill, with baked potatoes. I went fishing this morning, so I was hoping to have trout for lunch...but they declined the invitation.

Swift
2012-Aug-11, 10:04 PM
I went fishing this morning, so I was hoping to have trout for lunch...but they declined the invitation.
LoL

"A loaf of bread," the Walrus said,
"Is what we chiefly need:
Pepper and vinegar besides
Are very good indeed--
Now if you're ready, Oysters dear,
We can begin to feed."

"But not on us!" the Oysters cried,
Turning a little blue.
"After such kindness, that would be
A dismal thing to do!"
"The night is fine," the Walrus said.
"Do you admire the view?

jokergirl
2012-Sep-10, 07:08 AM
Last night we had corn on the cob we harvested at an organic farm nearby, and blanched kale with walnuts and honey vinaigrette. Delicious. Stuff just tastes so much better when it's actually picked when it's ripe, as opposed to picked green and freighted all over the world.
We also got potatoes and a pumpkin, and some green beans that we already ate for Sunday breakfast.

;)

Solfe
2012-Sep-13, 04:14 AM
We did "make your own salad night." I had a left over piece of steak and two left over chicken breasts, so I chopped them up to go on top of the salad.

I bought a nice loaf of bread and laid out every possible salad type item from the fridge - Snow snap peas, spinach, arugula, several cheeses, cucumber, pickles, green pepper, pepperoncini, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, carrots, etc. The kids love "make your own dinner night."

Noclevername
2012-Sep-15, 01:52 AM
Last night was spaghetti squash done like actual spaghetti, in a homemade sauce.

Swift
2012-Sep-27, 06:51 PM
My wife made an absolutely lovely Mediterranean style clam soup the other day. It was from a Mediterranean cookbook she has and was sort of like a Manhatten style clam chowder (tomato based broth), but with pasta instead of potatoes.

PetersCreek
2012-Sep-27, 09:55 PM
I'm late posting this but I made omelettes for breakfast last Sunday, ham, mushroom, chives, and applewood smoked cheddar.

Fazor
2012-Sep-28, 03:01 PM
I'd never cooked pork tenderloin until about 3 weeks ago. Tried a "maple brown mustard" recipe and it was okay. Then tried a "honey butter sauce" recipe and it was better. Tuesday, I decided to skip recipes, and instead just seasoned the meat myself (Salt, pepper, rosemary, corriander, and garlic) and cooked with some rough-chopped onion. Used chicken stock and butter to make a sauce from the pan stuffs, and ate with some stuffing and baked asparagus.

It was the best meal we've had in a very long time. Lesson? Don't listen to recipes, listen to instinct!

Buttercup
2012-Oct-23, 10:04 PM
Some kids just came around the neighborhood, selling taco dinner tickets (fund raiser).

That got me thinking...

We've got 1/2 pound organic beef. :) I'm going to make soft-shell (fry the corn tortillas myself) tacos tonight. Will include a bit of mashed potato (it's old-school traditional here) and beans inside. Served with homemade "Spanish" rice, sour cream, jalapeno slices. :) Can't wait!!

Fazor
2012-Oct-24, 05:47 PM
Sandra Lee has a new show that Tara recorded; she goes to famous/fancy restaurants and showcases a signature dish, then shows how to make a cheaper, easier analog for the home chef. We tried a chicken and sausage dish with balsamic blackberry sauce and fried artichoke hearts. It was okay, but wasn't spectacular enough to be worth the effort.

Not pinning that on her; more likely my fault. Dishes where I follow a recipe just never seem to come out as good as when I just cook.

That, and I'm horrible at making sauces. The blackberry-balsamic reduction didn't taste bad, just not a lot of flavor either way, and too runny.

Swift
2012-Oct-24, 08:51 PM
The blackberry-balsamic reduction didn't taste bad, just not a lot of flavor either way, and too runny.
My guess would be that you didn't reduce the reduction enough. Cooking it down more would have made it both less runny, and more strongly flavored.

It still might not have tasted good, but it would have tasted stronger.

The problem I've run into is that I tend to like more sauce than such a recipe typically provides, and when I cook it down the volume is too small for my satisfaction. The solution to that problem is to double or triple that portion of the recipe.

Fazor
2012-Oct-24, 10:56 PM
My guess would be that you didn't reduce the reduction enough. Cooking it down more would have made it both less runny, and more strongly flavored.

It still might not have tasted good, but it would have tasted stronger.

The problem I've run into is that I tend to like more sauce than such a recipe typically provides, and when I cook it down the volume is too small for my satisfaction. The solution to that problem is to double or triple that portion of the recipe.

But I'm apparently the only person in the world unable to reduce a sauce. Ever. I can cook it for five minutes like the recipe calls for, or an hour. It just never seems to reduce.

ETA: My assumption is that the cheap pans we buy -- which always warp and then only allow one small part of the surface to contact the burner -- simply don't allow enough heat at an even enough area to work like it should.

Buttercup
2012-Nov-15, 08:20 PM
Have pork in the slow-cooker (for husband). Will also make mashed potatoes, cornbread stuffing, glazed carrots. Cranberry jelly. Store-bought pumpkin pie and whipped cream for dessert.

jokergirl
2012-Nov-16, 06:24 PM
Spaghetti with a sauce of avocado, lemon juice, olive oil, salt pepper and garlic run in the food processor. Tossed the whole thing and added homegrown cherry tomatoes, chopped onion, grated cheddar and mint on top.

Tasty!

Swift
2012-Nov-21, 02:47 AM
My wife made the Giada Italian White Bean, Pancetta and Tortellini Soup recipe (http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/1412029-Italian-White-Bean-Pancetta-and-Tortellini-Soup?full_recipe=true) last night (leftovers tonight). It was wonderful.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Nov-25, 11:40 PM
Currently eating the result of coming home too late for ordering pizza after a couple of month of not shopping, which meant experimentation time.

Freezer had half a pound of diced bacon, cupboard had a can of chopped tomatoes and some dried fusilli pasta, so I made a bacon tomato pasta bake.

Set oven to 180C.
Put pasta in water in one pan on full heat, browned bacon in another, turned down heat on pasta when water started boiling, dumped tomatoes in pan two with the bacon and kept heating that until it started boiling, while seasoning.
This all took about 10 minutes, 5 of which had the pasta boiling, so drained the half-boiled pasta and put it in pot two and mixed them, then put it all in the oven for 20 minutes so the pasta would finish cooking by sucking up the water from the tomatoes, thus concentrating the taste of the chopped tomatoes.

Ended up quite well for a three semi-random ingredients, improvised meal.

Swift
2012-Nov-26, 01:44 AM
That sounds very good Henrik. Actually a lot of Italian pasta dishes are like that, just a few simple ingredients. Substitute bacon with pancetta and it would have been Italian.

jokergirl
2012-Nov-26, 11:40 AM
Italians eat bacon too. At least the ones in the north.

I made an easy pasta with sage, onions, garlic and sundried tomatoes fried in oil and blended with the pasta and feta cubes. Add some pepper and you're all set.

;)

The Backroad Astronomer
2012-Nov-26, 12:46 PM
Currently eating the result of coming home too late for ordering pizza after a couple of month of not shopping, which meant experimentation time.

Freezer had half a pound of diced bacon, cupboard had a can of chopped tomatoes and some dried fusilli pasta, so I made a bacon tomato pasta bake.

Set oven to 180C.
Put pasta in water in one pan on full heat, browned bacon in another, turned down heat on pasta when water started boiling, dumped tomatoes in pan two with the bacon and kept heating that until it started boiling, while seasoning.
This all took about 10 minutes, 5 of which had the pasta boiling, so drained the half-boiled pasta and put it in pot two and mixed them, then put it all in the oven for 20 minutes so the pasta would finish cooking by sucking up the water from the tomatoes, thus concentrating the taste of the chopped tomatoes.

Ended up quite well for a three semi-random ingredients, improvised meal.

The inspiration for Chopped Henriks pantry.

Trebuchet
2014-Jan-23, 01:33 AM
This thread's been needing a bump, and because of one of the components of tonight's meal, I'm feeling like doing it:

Sharp Cheddar.
Pinot Noir from a box.

Who could ask for anything more?

Swift
2014-Jan-23, 02:10 AM
This thread's been needing a bump, and because of one of the components of tonight's meal, I'm feeling like doing it:

Sharp Cheddar.
Pinot Noir from a box.

Who could ask for anything more?
A nice baguette?

We had a pasta dish; a thick pasta with Italian sausage (we used a hot, turkey sausage) and a sauce of mustard, cream, white wine, and fresh basil. Very nice and very easy.

jokergirl
2014-Jan-24, 12:23 PM
I made gnocchi yesterday; turned out pretty well, although I might use a little bit more flour next time. I like a bit of a bite in my pasta.
Butter-fried, with pseudo-pesto (just garlic, basil and parmesan cheese all mashed with a little olive oil) on top. Yum. Luckily we didn't have any social engagements afterwards, because that garlic was truly potent.

;)

geonuc
2014-Jan-24, 02:20 PM
I've never had luck with gnocchi. And by not having luck, I mean I don't know how to do it right.

Swift
2014-Jan-24, 02:39 PM
, with pseudo-pesto (just garlic, basil and parmesan cheese all mashed with a little olive oil)
What's pseudo about that? Sounds like pesto to me. Is it you didn't use the pinenuts?

Buttercup
2014-Jan-24, 02:52 PM
I made gnocchi yesterday...

I had gnocchi for the first time around November; store bought (good brand). It tasted nearly exactly like a potato-onion dumpling (called "koom-lah") which my Czech relatives make (cooked in ham broth, and served with ham). :)

Of course I didn't know that (taste/texture) until tasting it with marinara sauce...and that's just wrong, wrong! Because you don't eat "koom-lah" with tomato-based products! ;)

If I do work with gnocchi again, it'll be with ham broth and in a soup.

Buttercup
2014-Jan-24, 03:18 PM
As for dinner last p.m., I made potato soup with cheese melted in, and diced jalapenos. Served with honeyed cornbread fresh from the oven. :) And plenty of butter for the cornbread, yum!

jokergirl
2014-Jan-24, 03:36 PM
I've never had luck with gnocchi. And by not having luck, I mean I don't know how to do it right.

Maybe you're using the wrong type of potatoes. It's just boiled mealy potatoes, flour and egg. Even better if the boiled potatoes are day-old; then they have had time to steam out and aren't as soggy. But if you use salad potatoes, the dough won't get sticky enough.
Here's a good recipe: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/how-to-make-gnocchi-like-an-italian-grandmother-recipe.html (it's also the first google hit :P)
I don't bother with the rolling around the fork trick - I just make rolls, then scour them on each side by running a fork down the length once and then cut them. The point is to get structure, not to lovingly hand-craft every single piece.

What's pseudo about that? Sounds like pesto to me. Is it you didn't use the pinenuts?

Yep.

As for dinner last p.m., I made potato soup with cheese melted in, and diced jalapenos. Served with honeyed cornbread fresh from the oven. :) And plenty of butter for the cornbread, yum!

Recipe please!

;)

Swift
2014-Jan-24, 04:27 PM
Speaking of pesto and pinenuts; I just heard a tip about pesto: since pinenuts are so expensive (at least in the US), they suggested using walnuts instead. We haven't tested this ourselves yet, but it sounds reasonable. They said you can actually use any oily nut.

jokergirl
2014-Jan-24, 04:59 PM
I find walnuts too strong in flavour for pesto. I prefer cashews or sunflower seeds, but I was out of both of those as well.

However, if you blend ground walnuts and skinless grilled red bell peppers with a dash of vinegar and some salt and pepper you get a savoury middle-eastern spread that should go well with pasta as well. Stretch it with breadcrumbs if the pure walnut flavour is too intense.

;)

geonuc
2014-Jan-25, 08:27 AM
Maybe you're using the wrong type of potatoes. It's just boiled mealy potatoes, flour and egg. Even better if the boiled potatoes are day-old; then they have had time to steam out and aren't as soggy. But if you use salad potatoes, the dough won't get sticky enough.
Here's a good recipe: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/how-to-make-gnocchi-like-an-italian-grandmother-recipe.html (it's also the first google hit :P)
I don't bother with the rolling around the fork trick - I just make rolls, then scour them on each side by running a fork down the length once and then cut them. The point is to get structure, not to lovingly hand-craft every single piece.

Thanks! From the linked recipe:

Gnocchi recipes aren't for the faint of heart. Many, many things can go awry. I'm not trying to scare you off or dissuade you, I just want you to know what you are in for. Gnocchi-making takes practice, patience, and persistance. At their best potato gnocchi can be light and delicate. At their worst, dense, rubbery, and/or soggy. The very worst are the gnocchi that come apart in the boiling water before they even reach your plate.

'The very worst' describes my previous efforts.

jokergirl
2014-Jan-25, 10:03 AM
That's why I always test the dough before committing to rolling and forming all of it.

Buttercup
2014-Jan-25, 01:17 PM
Recipe please!

;)

I'll try to get that typed out today; no later than tomorrow.

Buttercup
2014-Feb-02, 10:14 PM
My apologies, Jokergirl. Here's my recipe for potato soup. For two persons, two servings each (roughly):

4 medium potatoes; peeled, 1/2 inch cubes, boiled and drained.

Base:

3 cups whole milk
1/4 small yellow onion, finely chopped
1 small (fresh) jalapeno, finely diced
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or Velveeta - if available there)
salt/pepper to taste
mild curry powder, to taste
3/4 cup rehydrated instant mashed potatoes: Dissolves in, and will thicken the soup

Meat suggestions: Bits of ham, or crumbled bacon

The cornbread I made to go with soup was from a boxed mix; follow instructions, stir in 3 tablespoons of honey before baking.

PetersCreek
2014-Feb-16, 07:16 PM
Rather than go out to dinner after work on Friday, The WifeŽ and I decided I would cook our Valentine dinner last night. The menu was surf and turf: pan roasted filet Mignon with port wine reduction; sauteed tiger prawns; savory polenta with whole corn and Romano cheese; and green beans tossed in lemon olive oil. The wine was a 2008 Tempranillo from Peirano Estate. It all turned out quite nicely.

Buttercup
2014-Feb-16, 08:21 PM
Rather than go out to dinner after work on Friday, The WifeŽ and I decided I would cook our Valentine dinner last night. The menu was surf and turf: pan roasted filet Mignon with port wine reduction; sauteed tiger prawns; savory polenta with whole corn and Romano cheese; and green beans tossed in lemon olive oil. The wine was a 2008 Tempranillo from Peirano Estate. It all turned out quite nicely.

Sounds great, except for lemon in the olive oil. I don't like lemon flavored anything in a meal.

Polenta; I need to make some again. My first polenta dish had a French cream sauce...which I lost (the recipe). It was delish!

My "dinner" right now: A carrot and glass of skim milk.

schlaugh
2014-Feb-16, 09:26 PM
Dinner tonight is leftover chicken I roasted on my kamado grill earlier in the week.

Dinner for tomorrow is in the oven; a simpler beef bourguignon from the good folks at America's Test Kitchen. No stove-top searing and the mushrooms and pearl onions are roasted ahead of time.

Trebuchet
2014-Feb-16, 11:43 PM

I'm drooling with envy. Sounds much better than our left-over teriyaki take-out.

Swift
2014-Feb-17, 01:54 AM
My wife made a Jamie Oliver salmon wrapped in prosciutto with lentils (http://100cookbooks.wordpress.com/2012/10/16/salmon-fillet-wrapped-in-prosciutto-with-herby-lentils-jamie-oliver-the-return-of-the-naked-chef/) recipe for dinner. Sometimes Jamie's recipes are more than a little different, and sometimes they don't work, but when he is on, like with this dish, they are fabulous.

NorthernDevo
2014-Feb-17, 07:43 AM
I made Rainbow Trout - whole - pan-fried in butter, basil and garlic over whipped potatos and honey-glazed green beans, with Bananas Foster to follow after we did the dishes :) Both of the fish were fat, full little monsters; the best I could find in the market. :)

Solfe
2014-Feb-18, 01:29 PM
I have been adapting to my wife's low iodine diet. Iodine isn't an additive listed on the packages, so I have been targeting salt. As I understand it, this is sort of hit or miss for iodine.

There are a great number of salt alternatives that actually taste great, but we have also been trying different things. Egg-less waffles (use pancake batter instead) with fruit are really yummy. We had chicken marinated in white grape juice, vinegar, oregano and basil over orzo as a stir fry replacement. I grilled chicken in a snow storm just to have something different (why is grilling better/more fun???)

I can now cook more than a dozen different meals, and don't have to count cheeseburgers and hamburgers as two different things. :)

Buttercup
2014-Feb-20, 11:30 PM
Potato soup tonight, with sharp cheddar cheese melted in, and lots of cracked black pepper!! :D

I've been craving potato soup these past two months.

jokergirl
2014-Feb-21, 09:37 AM
Gazpacho, and homemade bread. My SO keeps asking me to bake bread. Sometimes I am too lazy, but sometimes I'm glad to oblige.

;)