PDA

View Full Version : Independent Filmmaker Wants to Kickstart America’s Space Program

Fraser
2012-Jul-22, 06:50 PM
“If Kennedy said ‘we will go to the Moon…some time before the century ends,’ what is… what is that? That’s not ambition. That’s pandering.” – Neil deGrasse Tyson, Fight for Space Here we are on the 43rd anniversary of the Apollo Moon landing, with no more shuttles flying, slashed space program budgets and no real [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/96394/independent-filmmaker-wants-to-kickstart-americas-space-program/)

Noclevername
2012-Jul-22, 08:50 PM
If they really want this project to succeed, badmouthing Kennedy is probably not the right way to go about it. Just sayin'.

Solfe
2012-Jul-22, 09:03 PM
He wasn't bad mouthing Kennedy; Kennedy actually said "in this decade", not "before the end of the century". Kennedy was setting difficult deadlines and deGrasse was simply highlighting the difference between a good deadline and a wishy-washy one.

Noclevername
2012-Jul-22, 09:23 PM
D'oh! My bad. Is the headslap emoticon working yet?

danscope
2012-Jul-23, 12:54 AM
Which only goes to show that to contemplate our space program, with your head in orbit, you need to have your feet on the ground.
If your parents are struggling to pay the heating bill, it doesn't make sense to ask your father to buy a Ferrari.
"Ya gotta make,.... I say ya gotta make sense,son; ya gotta read the papers, ya see, papers that is. ya gotta understand the economy, son. (Nice kid, but he's sharp as a bowl of jello). "

Noclevername
2012-Jul-23, 02:00 AM
If your parents are struggling to pay the heating bill, it doesn't make sense to ask your father to buy a Ferrari.

I think that's the exact opposite of what this project is trying to portray. You see the future of humanity in space as a luxury, when in fact it's a necessity and needs to be made a priority. Someone will go into space to stay; if not from the U.S. it will be someone else, and they might decide not to let us join them (and holding the high ground means they can enforce that exclusion if they wish).

Solfe
2012-Jul-23, 04:06 AM
Were you all living in my Wacky Kingdom, every facet of government would be a function of NASA, bar none. :)

danscope
2012-Jul-23, 04:09 AM
So........what ? Anybody can go into space. There is no high gtound. There is no ground. Trying to play the fearmonger card to drum up support for a moonshot just isn't going to fly. Got other fish to fry. We are doing what we are doing.
Frankly, I'd rather see another space telescope. Better science return on investment.

Noclevername
2012-Jul-23, 11:36 AM
So........what ? Anybody can go into space. There is no high gtound. There is no ground.
Are you really that literal minded? It's a metaphor.

Trying to play the fearmonger card to drum up support for a moonshot just isn't going to fly. Got other fish to fry. We are doing what we are doing.

It's not fearmongering, it's competition, the same thing that got us to the Moon in the first place; and this project's focus isn't just about one Moon landing, it's about the entire future of America in space.

danscope
2012-Jul-23, 07:20 PM
I can't change your value structure. Me and people like me spend a lifetime building our country. That includes the bridges you cross each day without a care. We have a very real and dreadfull situation in crumbling infrastructure and not the funds to repair it, just
" the worst situations ". If you believe you can build a star ship and go somewhere on mooseberries, it's your privilige.
One is reality, one is fantasy. But please don't confuse fantasy with the genuine problems we face right here. I simply submit that
increased requests for funds for fantasy will be tabled while my country gets on with the serious business at hand:
building our country and paying our bills and stuff.

Noclevername
2012-Jul-24, 01:23 AM
danscope, don't put words in my mouth. Just because there are things that need to be done for the present does not mean we can neglect doing things for the future. There is no "fantasy" about planning to make things better. There is a lot more money currently being wasted on things of little or no value than is spent on NASA-- go chase after that money instead of draining it away from our keys to opening the Universe.

danscope
2012-Jul-24, 03:43 AM
And we shall leave the debate there, I think.
Time to pay the bills.
Dan

Noclevername
2012-Jul-24, 11:25 PM
Time to pay the bills.

And since that's exactly what this thread and this project are about-- how to pay the bills for space travel-- I agree.

R.A.F.
2012-Jul-25, 02:43 AM
t's not fearmongering, it's competition, the same thing that got us to the Moon in the first place...

Actually it looks like some kind of wacky fund raising drive.

They ARE asking for money...(did ya know I can pledge any amount I want. :))

Noclevername
2012-Jul-25, 04:58 AM
Actually it looks like some kind of wacky fund raising drive.

They ARE asking for money...(did ya know I can pledge any amount I want. :))

I think he was referring to my post #6 as "fearmongering", because I mention that another nation might militarize space.