PDA

View Full Version : Taste Test

starcanuck64
2012-Jul-23, 11:26 PM
How many of the movies from this list of the 50 worst films of all time did you enjoy?

I'm not all the way through but I liked #3 worst Mike Meyer's The Love Guru enough to watch it several times.

http://www.empireonline.com/features/50-worst-movies-ever/default.asp?film=7

Trebuchet
2012-Jul-23, 11:42 PM
I'm actually quite pleased to be able to say I only ever saw one of them -- maybe! And I never heard of most.

starcanuck64
2012-Jul-23, 11:49 PM
I hadn't heard of a lot of them and it's just The Love Guru that I enjoyed...somewhat.

I did enjoy some of the reviews though.

It's when the weasel aliens exit from various orifices that the film disintegrates into a sizeable heap of poo."- Derek Malcolm, The Guardian

Noclevername
2012-Jul-24, 12:10 AM
Of the ones that I've seen, some were merely sequels inferior to their predecessors but otherwise all right, some were merely bland, and only a handful were truly awful. If they wanted the worst movies of all time, why was only one made before I was born?

orionjim
2012-Jul-24, 12:12 AM
I liked the Pink Panther 2 (#31). I thought Steve Martin did a great job doing Inspector Clouseau. It wouldn't be an easy job replacing Peter Sellers. I remember watching the first Pink Panther in 1963 and saw some of the sequels.

I saw the Love Guru, it was OK; I probably wouldn't watch it again, but I wouldn't put it on the list either.

redshifter
2012-Jul-24, 12:16 AM
I agree with noclevername's post. Many of the ones on the list I've actually seen I wouldn't say were 'worst ever', but rather strained efforts at a $ grab by the producers/film company by releasing mediocre at best sequels.

However, at #7, how can you go wrong with a title like Sex Lives of the Potato Men?

Van Rijn
2012-Jul-24, 02:01 AM
I've seen a lot of these. I rent a fair number of marginal movies through Netflix if I think there is some possibility I might like them. Most of the ones I've seen I'd consider bad, but not the worst I've seen.

I liked one of the Scary Movie series, I think it was the second one. I can't remember if I liked the first one.

Really bad: I tried watching Epic Movie because there was a funny commercial for it. I think that had the only funny scene in the movie. I stopped the DVD after about twenty minutes (I did try to skip forward a couple of times).

I actually sort of liked Howard the Duck. It's not a good movie, but it's in the "amusing because it's bad" category.

Plan 9 is like that too.

The Avengers (the one about British spies, not the Marvel characters) is a good example of bad but not that bad: Sure it was stupid and an insult to the TV series, and yet it didn't match the true horror of many bad movies. It was more a great disappointment than anything else (I really would have liked to see a good revival).

Van Rijn
2012-Jul-24, 02:20 AM
Of the ones that I've seen, some were merely sequels inferior to their predecessors but otherwise all right, some were merely bland, and only a handful were truly awful. If they wanted the worst movies of all time, why was only one made before I was born?

Yes. Matrix Revolutions, as another example, was no great movie, but it was watchable. It's not one where I'm actively angry that I watched the movie, or I wish I could edit the movie out of my memory.

For instance, the 2002 Time Machine movie made me angry. It wasn't just stupid. It didn't just lose the most important plot points of the original story. Rather, they seemed to be going out of their way to make it just as bad as possible.

I don't think it's on the list, though.

pzkpfw
2012-Jul-24, 03:23 AM
The "Year One" critic quote was, um, interesting:

There's plenty of lowbrow, knuckle-dragging humour; coupled with all the gay jokes, poop jokes, Jewish jokes and you're-stupider-than-I-am jokes. The arrested-development crowd will no doubt be thoroughly entertained
I don't understand. She seems to be saying more than that they'll like one of the co stars (who plays almost the same role as ever, really). She seems to be saying "arrested-development" was stupid. But I thought it wasn't. Am I stupid?

May Payne is on the list. I quite enjoyed it.

Swept Away is on the list, and while I'm not going to say it was actually "good", I did think at the time I saw it (free, on T.V.) that it wasn't as "bad" as everyone said; I wondered if the hatred was mostly band-wagon-jumping stuff.

Solfe
2012-Jul-24, 04:21 AM
I wanted to look at the first ten, but as I noticed that I had seen a great number of them. I couldn't stop.

50 - Spiderman 3 - Not good, but not unwatchable.
46 - Howard the Duck - Extremely bad, but what were the critics expecting? Amusing for all the badness.
45 - Blade Trinity - I recall vaguely sitting through it, but nothing really stands out. The Blade series is merely wonderful fodder for Twilight/Blade Photoshop memes.
44 - Matrix Revolutions - By movie three, you can't complain. People punch people in different ways. Not much else.
41 - Van Helsing - I actually liked this movie. It was fun.
40 - Superman IV: The Quest for Peace. I regret to inform you that I saw this in the theater. I regret paying for it.
28 - The Sweetest Thing - My wife and I like this movie. We have the DVD.
25 - Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - Meh. Ok, when the shaking stops. That takes a day or two to happen.
24 - Speed 2 - Saw it on TNT. I wish I had that time back.
22 - Jaws: The Revenge - Lousy, I hate you Michael Cain for sucker punching me.
18 - Dreamcatcher - I liked this one, it was a good Stephen King movie... I think I twisted something typing those words.
16 - Plan 9 from Outerspace - As intended.
15 - Catwoman - Ouch, this stank.
13 - The Avengers - Two words: Uma Thurman.
3 - The Love Guru - Mildly amusing, once. Just once. Oddly, Justin Timberlake was the funniest person in the movie.
1 - Batman and Robin - Yes, this was the reason for the reboot.

My list would have these movies (but I wouldn't be able to order them):

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Dude, Where's My Car?
The Man Who Knew Too Little
Mad City
Face/Off
Shock Treatment (1981 Rocky Horror Sequel)
Cool as Ice (Vanilla Ice Film)
Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever (Can be watched backwards... !MOOB !MOOB !MOOB makes about as much sense.)

Movies with Sylvester Stallone:
Cliffhanger (The reason MST3K was made.)
Cobra
Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot
Over the Top (Arm Wrestling? Are you kidding?)

All movies featured on MST3K.

EDIT - Forgot:
Waterworld - If it's water world, why is everyone one so darn dirty.
The Postman - Mr. Brinn that was cruel.

Charlie in Dayton
2012-Jul-24, 04:34 AM
This list is a conclusive indicator that I should never again subscribe to cable TV...

50 -- Superman 3 (parts)
46 -- Howard The Duck (parts)
30 -- Scary Movie (parts)
24 -- Speed 2 (parts)
9 -- Highlander 2
4 -- Raise The Titanic
1 -- Batman and Robin

SeanF
2012-Jul-24, 02:20 PM
The "Year One" critic quote was, um, interesting:

There's plenty of lowbrow, knuckle-dragging humour; coupled with all the gay jokes, poop jokes, Jewish jokes and you're-stupider-than-I-am jokes. The arrested-development crowd will no doubt be thoroughly entertained
I don't understand. She seems to be saying more than that they'll like one of the co stars (who plays almost the same role as ever, really). She seems to be saying "arrested-development" was stupid. But I thought it wasn't. Am I stupid?
She's not referring to fans of the TV show "Arrested Development," she's referring to people who are actually suffering from arrested development. That's why it's hyphenated, uncapitalized, and in neither quotation marks nor italics. <smile>

I found the "Redeeming Feature" of "Matrix Revolutions" interesting: "A final attack on Zion that will literally explode your eyeballs." Literally? No.

starcanuck64
2012-Jul-24, 05:02 PM
The Avengers (the one about British spies, not the Marvel characters) is a good example of bad but not that bad: Sure it was stupid and an insult to the TV series, and yet it didn't match the true horror of many bad movies. It was more a great disappointment than anything else (I really would have liked to see a good revival).

I didn't think The Avengers was that bad either.

Taste is a subjective thing, I'm a Tom Selleck fan and really enjoy some of his poorly rated movies like Mr. Baseball and Her Alibi. When it comes to things like humor people can have a wide variety of opinions about what's good and bad.

starcanuck64
2012-Jul-24, 05:07 PM
Face/Off

How do ideas like this even make it into production?

HenrikOlsen
2012-Jul-24, 07:20 PM
How do ideas like this even make it into production?
Scientology?

pzkpfw
2012-Jul-24, 08:27 PM
She's not referring to fans of the TV show "Arrested Development," she's referring to people who are actually suffering from arrested development. That's why it's hyphenated, uncapitalized, and in neither quotation marks nor italics. <smile>

I really don't see the wood for the trees, sometimes. Thanks. (Or is that trees for the wood?)

megrfl
2012-Jul-24, 10:24 PM
I'm a fan of Howard the Duck. My favorite character - The Dark Overlord.

starcanuck64
2012-Jul-24, 11:24 PM
Scientology?

Right, silly me.

That also explains Battlefield Earth.

Romanus
2012-Jul-24, 11:24 PM
Only including the movies I've seen all or most of...and jeez, I've seen more of these than all of you so far.

Respect.

Batman and Robin: An unbearable step-down from Schumacher's just watchable Batman Forever.
Raise the Titanic: Was too young to really comment fairly; must see it again.
Epic Movie: I was just drunk enough to enjoy this. Sober--flush it.
Highlander 2: There was no Highlander 2. Who's spreading these vicious rumors?
Meet the Spartans: An awful, awful movie that I still enjoyed. Sue me.
White Chicks: Barf.
Jaws IV: If you stop looking at it as a horror film, and start looking at it as a comedy, it almost comes into focus. But that roaring shark...yeah.
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen: Michael Bay's "Phantom Menace".
The Sweetest Thing: The "Oohlookatwomenenjoyinggrossouthumortooheeheehee!" aspect of this got old very quickly.
Scary Movie: Bad, but not *terrible*. Besides, it's the best of a bad lot.
Ultraviolet: A honest failure rather than an outright bad movie, IMO.
Superman IV: Oh, come on; I can't be the only person who enjoys the (wholly unintentional) camp of this flick.
Van Helsing: I had a much-delayed response in realizing how bad this movie is. More's the pity.
Blade Trinity: Ryan Renolds is the only good thing in this movie, which is another way of saying that it would've been much better if it were only, say, 20 minutes long.
Howard the Duck: Lighten up, Francis.
Soul Plane: The kind of movie that should've resulted in theater riots and mall infernos.
Showgirls: Found it depressing rather than merely terrible.

And IMO, Face/Off is a great movie, and I'm sticking to it.

Dishonorable Mention:

The Garbage Pail Kids Movie (tops my list)
Dirty Love
The Village
Alien Resurrection
Jurassic Park III (well, except for one scene)
Dracula: Dead and Loving It
The Stupids
Alien vs. Predator
The Mummy Returns
The Phantom Menace

starcanuck64
2012-Jul-24, 11:37 PM

I have to admit I didn't watch much of it so it may have got better later on. The whole slicing off and swapping faces thing while novel probably wouldn't allow you to impersonate the other person if you didn't have the same voice and physique. Maybe they got around that part after I left the room. I'm not a big fan of either Travolta or Cage so that didn't help.

Alien Resurrection

I didn't like it much the first time around but then I didn't even know who Joss Whedon was at the time. Watching on video last month I thought it wasn't too bad. I was doing all the Alien movies and liked Aliens 3 the least.

Jurassic Park III (well, except for one scene)

Dinosaurs eating people never gets old for me.

Van Rijn
2012-Jul-25, 12:30 AM
I have to admit I didn't watch much of it so it may have got better later on. The whole slicing off and swapping faces thing while novel probably wouldn't allow you to impersonate the other person if you didn't have the same voice and physique. Maybe they got around that part after I left the room. I'm not a big fan of either Travolta or Cage so that didn't help.

I've never watched it, but that was pretty much my reaction to the ads: Two physically different people and you're going to swap faces? At the very least, they would have to replace a good part of the skulls, and that would only do so much. Talk about a stupid concept. Even a brain transplant would make more sense.

starcanuck64
2012-Jul-25, 12:39 AM
I've never watched it, but that was pretty much my reaction to the ads: Two physically different people and you're going to swap faces? At the very least, they would have to replace a good part of the skulls, and that would only do so much. Talk about a stupid concept. Even a brain transplant would make more sense.

That was my reaction, but the other people I was watching it with got right into the story. It did make $250 million in the theatres so it's possible to get away with this kind of stuff if you add enough sex/violence/suspense.

And be careful of what you say, they could make a sequel.:)

Noclevername
2012-Jul-25, 01:10 AM
It frieghtened me at first how many of the films on the list I had seen, and how many I had enjoyed.

Later on I realised that some of them, at least, I had not seen at all, I just heard so much about how "bad" they were that I felt as if I'd seen and disliked them; Catwoman, Showgirls, Dungeons & Dragons, The Spirit, Glitter, Gigli, Battlefield Earth (I'd read the book when I was young and didn't care for it much, but the movie I only know from bad reviews).

Solfe
2012-Jul-25, 01:53 AM

Fine... I will trade you Face/Off for The Sweetest Thing AND Van Helsing. I get two movies because I though they were pretty good, while you think Face/Off was great. Great vs. pretty good should be 2 for 1. :)

I really, really, really wanted to like Face/Off, but just didn't. It didn't work for me.

Dungeons & Dragons

I really liked Dungeons & Dragons. It was exactly as labeled, the stuff that kids and young adults could cook up in weekend.

What stunk was D&D II. How does one fail so badly when the first movie ended with words to the effect of "Hey, we might meet in another dimension. Who knows, we might not even look the same? WINK! WINK!" They could have just picked right up where the last one left off, but no Sci-fi channel cooked up something really dumb.

swampyankee
2012-Jul-25, 02:42 AM
iirc, I saw The Sweetest Thing. I think the web page should get rated very poorly, too. Haven't those guys heard of lists, or did they just construct it to maximize the number of cookies they could plant on you?

Van Rijn
2012-Jul-25, 02:54 AM
I really liked Dungeons & Dragons. It was exactly as labeled, the stuff that kids and young adults could cook up in weekend.

I wouldn't want to pay to see it in a theater, and I could point out faults, but I liked it as a B-movie. It was no worse than a lot of movies I used to enjoy on Creature Features. It helps that I wasn't expecting much out of it, as I had already heard poor reviews. That's one of the things that can really affect how much I'll like a movie: If I hear people going on about how good a movie is, I'm going to have higher expectations, and will be more likely to notice problems. If I've heard bad reviews, at worst I won't be disappointed, and I might be pleasantly surprised.

But, yes, the sequel was unwatchable.

Van Rijn
2012-Jul-25, 03:05 AM
My list would have these movies (but I wouldn't be able to order them):

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Would that be your list of really bad movies? I'd put that in the same category as Dungeons and Dragons. B-movie, a number of faults, but I liked it. I wasn't familiar with the story it was based on, so I wasn't comparing it to anything.

Noclevername
2012-Jul-25, 05:13 AM
{snip} How does one fail so badly... {snip} Sci-fi channel...{snip}

I think you just answered your own question. ;)

Solfe
2012-Jul-25, 01:49 PM
Would that be your list of really bad movies? I'd put that in the same category as Dungeons and Dragons. B-movie, a number of faults, but I liked it. I wasn't familiar with the story it was based on, so I wasn't comparing it to anything.

My brain suffered a blue screen of death when the heroes stabbed a bad guy who was wearing too much plate armor to shoot through. Stabbed as in through the 2 inch plate of metal on his back, completely through the chest and out the 2 inch plate of metal on his chest. I don't recall anything until car/explosion chase.

D&D was protected from such mental faults by double layer of cheese and fairy dust. :)

starcanuck64
2012-Jul-25, 05:34 PM
At the risk of being on the receiving end of curses or hexs for wasting your time further here's another list that answers some of Noclevername's point about there being no older movies in the worst of list. This one also has foreign films.

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/66-worst-movies-of-all-time

Apparently the devil is repsonsible for making some of these based on the name.

It's also strange that the list is completely different.

swampyankee
2012-Jul-25, 08:09 PM
That was my reaction, but the other people I was watching it with got right into the story. It did make $250 million in the theatres so it's possible to get away with this kind of stuff if you add enough sex/violence/suspense.

And be careful of what you say, they could make a sequel.:)

We've got a thread for that.

starcanuck64
2012-Jul-25, 09:15 PM
We've got a thread for that.

Brain/Out: The long awaited sequel to Face/Off that leaves the audience feeling as if they too have had their brains removed...but not replaced with someone elses.<smile>

Noclevername
2012-Jul-26, 02:26 AM
Do you have too much brain? Then try new BrainOut! Clinically proven to remove excess brain! With special ingredient Lobotomix!

Marvine
2012-Jul-26, 07:14 AM
The Baby Makers :)

http://science.uii.ac.id

Solfe
2012-Jul-26, 09:49 AM
At the risk of being on the receiving end of curses or hexs for wasting your time further here's another list that answers some of Noclevername's point about there being no older movies in the worst of list. This one also has foreign films.

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/66-worst-movies-of-all-time

Apparently the devil is repsonsible for making some of these based on the name.

It's also strange that the list is completely different.

I haven't actually seen any of those movies, except the ones which were on Mystery Science Theater 3000. MST3K can actually make an unwatchable movie pretty awesome.

starcanuck64
2012-Jul-26, 05:07 PM
I haven't actually seen any of those movies, except the ones which were on Mystery Science Theater 3000. MST3K can actually make an unwatchable movie pretty awesome.

Great show.

Solfe
2012-Jul-26, 09:32 PM
...Lobotomix...

For some reason this remind's me of a medicine called GoLightly. It is meant to "empty you out". Evil stuff.

Trebuchet
2012-Jul-26, 11:03 PM
For some reason this remind's me of a medicine called GoLightly. It is meant to "empty you out". Evil stuff.

Oh my yes. Tastes like soap. They told me "take the next dose on schedule even if you're still sitting on the pot from the last one." I was, and did. Four entire liters of that stuff.

In case anyone's wondering, it's part of the prep for your colonoscopy.

Noclevername
2012-Jul-26, 11:06 PM
Oh my yes. Tastes like soap. They told me "take the next dose on schedule even if you're still sitting on the pot from the last one." I was, and did. Four entire liters of that stuff.

I have one coming up soon. Yuck. They anesthetise you for the procedure, why can't they do the same for the prep? Who wants to be fully aware while doing their best impression of a launching rocket?

swampyankee
2012-Jul-27, 02:30 AM
I have one coming up soon. Yuck. They anesthetise you for the procedure, why can't they do the same for the prep? Who wants to be fully aware while doing their best impression of a launching rocket?

Ze mess, ze mess! Boss, do I have to clean that up?

Van Rijn
2012-Jul-27, 08:44 AM

When they gave that to me, I had to cancel the test. When I tried drinking that stuff, I was gagging on it immediately and after a heroic effort to get a fraction of it down, finally gave up. I didn't have enough to have that much effect. On the reschedule, I took the concentrated salt prep which was just as bad, but there was less of it. I still had to take some anti-nausea pills to keep that down (even thinking about it is unpleasant). More recently, they've come up with some pills I can handle a lot better.

Solfe
2012-Jul-27, 02:36 PM
Funny, I have managed to turn the bad movie thread into the colonoscopy thread. Sorry about that. :)

starcanuck64
2012-Jul-27, 04:58 PM
Funny, I have managed to turn the bad movie thread into the colonoscopy thread. Sorry about that. :)

It's still kind of on theme.

starcanuck64
2012-Jul-27, 08:43 PM
Here's 50 "reasons" why LOTR sucks:

http://www.cracked.com/article_15739_50-reasons-lord-rings-sucks.html

Very good points like this.

Magic Mechanics.

Experts on the occult say in order for a wizard to floorspin a fully-grown man like Gandalf, he'd need three magical staffs, not two.

DoggerDan
2012-Jul-28, 06:00 AM

I went online and discovered the list of potential side effects for what they gave me wasn't very encouraging, so I just fasted for three days before mine, while drinking a lot of water. Hungry? Yes! But healthy.

swampyankee
2012-Jul-28, 02:03 PM
I went online and discovered the list of potential side effects for what they gave me wasn't very encouraging, so I just fasted for three days before mine, while drinking a lot of water. Hungry? Yes! But healthy.

If it's called something like "phospho-soda," it's what I got to use for mine (this is what we get for a bunch of 50+ members), and it's no longer being used in the US. I think it was pulled off the market.

To pull this back on thread, has anybody seen the Cremaster movies? I haven't, and I want to know how thankful I should be for that.

Noclevername
2012-Jul-28, 02:32 PM
I've been told that the works of Doris Wishman are particularly awful. But of course I wouldn't know anything about that personally. :whistle:

swampyankee
2012-Jul-28, 02:56 PM
I've been told that the works of Doris Wishman are particularly awful. But of course I wouldn't know anything about that personally. :whistle:

It sounds like I don't want to... :yikes:

Noclevername
2012-Jul-28, 03:11 PM
Even the heavily censored versions they showed on certain late-night cable channels were... frightening.