PDA

View Full Version : An election oddity

Trebuchet
2012-Jul-25, 04:02 PM
We just received our ballots for the primary election. (All voting here is by mail.) My wife and I get to vote in two separate congressional districts this year!

What happened is this: We live near the border of the two districts and have bounced back and forth between them a couple of times due to redistricting. Apparently that's happened again this year, although I wasn't aware of it until we got our ballots.

The incumbent in our old district (WA 1st) resigned last spring to focus on running for governor. That's caused the state to have to hold a special election, concurrent with the main election, for the district to seat someone for a one-month term between the election and the seating of the new Congress. For that one-month term, we'll be voting in the first district. For the general election, we'll be voting in the second.

I'm a bit annoyed that the 1st district incumbent has caused the state this extra expense, but I guess it's more honest than continuing to hold the seat while campaigning for something else. He's a shoo-in for his party's nomination as no one else seems to be running. He's from Seattle, of course, which seems to be pretty much a requirement for our governors.

Living on the borderline, as we do, has caused us some confusion in the past. And confusion for candidates as well -- I've more than once had to tell a candidate who knocked on our door that we were in a different district!

Gillianren
2012-Jul-25, 05:49 PM
I got a phone call yesterday (automated, of course!) telling me that one of the people running for County Insurance Commissioner (or something; I'll have to look it up before filling out my ballot) was a convicted felon. There are two other people in the race, and the call hastened to assure me that they are both fine people. Just, you know, don't vote for the guy with a record of violent crime!

Trebuchet
2012-Jul-25, 06:17 PM
I will be SO glad when the election is over!

Getting a call like that would actually incline me to vote for the guy being slammed. I actually keep a list of candidates to avoid because they called me.

swampyankee
2012-Jul-25, 07:58 PM
Trebuchet, always living on the edge. When I read your first sentence, I thought you and your wife, while living at the same address, were voting in the same election in two different districts, that is you're voting in the 1st district, and she in the 2nd.

Out here, in Connecticut we have a particularly nasty primary race. The challenger (name removed) ran, and continues to run, an add accusing her opponent of taking Wall Street money after he said he wouldn't. That, in and of itself, would be fine. Where she crosses the line is that she used the campaign contribution reports of a candidate with the same last name from a different state. After crossing the line, instead of saying "oops! we screwed up!" which would be a bit embarrassing, but both honest and honorable, she keeps paying to run the ad.

She's lost my vote. For anything, against almost anybody (I really despise one of the (party removed) candidates in that party primary).

Gillianren
2012-Jul-25, 08:41 PM
I will be SO glad when the election is over!

Getting a call like that would actually incline me to vote for the guy being slammed. I actually keep a list of candidates to avoid because they called me.

I will say that voting for a guy with a drunk-driving record for insurance commissioner has a certain pleasing irony to it. Except in the sense that I want someone who would help keep rates down.

Jim
2012-Jul-26, 01:44 AM
... We live near the border of the two districts ...

We once lived on a street that was the boundary between two districts. It was interesting to see signs for candidates in District 1 on one side of the street and signs for District 2 on the other.

Except one year when a home in D2 had signs for the D1 race.

No, not a mistake by the homeowner. The state placed them in the wrong district.

DoggerDan
2012-Jul-28, 05:42 AM
I'm so tired of party politics. I wish we could wind back the clock and reinvent the system to avoid political parties altogether. Or is there some inherent reason as to why they're inevitable? I don't care about the parties. I just vote for the better person.

swampyankee
2012-Jul-28, 02:05 PM
I will say that voting for a guy with a drunk-driving record for insurance commissioner has a certain pleasing irony to it. Except in the sense that I want someone who would help keep rates down.

He probably would keep rates down, especially for people with DUI convictions.

swampyankee
2012-Jul-28, 02:13 PM
I'm so tired of party politics. I wish we could wind back the clock and reinvent the system to avoid political parties altogether. Or is there some inherent reason as to why they're inevitable? I don't care about the parties. I just vote for the better person.

Some historians studying the US Civil War think one of the reasons the South failed was because the lack of parties left every legislator for himself (literally) and prevented building any kind of coherent, robust coalitions that transcended regional interests.

primummobile
2012-Jul-28, 02:15 PM
We once lived on a street that was the boundary between two districts. It was interesting to see signs for candidates in District 1 on one side of the street and signs for District 2 on the other.

Except one year when a home in D2 had signs for the D1 race.

No, not a mistake by the homeowner. The state placed them in the wrong district.

My property straddles two different townships, and the line runs right through my house. I don't know how it is in other states, but in Pennsylvania you pay property taxes and vote according to the township you live in. It's been causing us headaches for the last eight years. To top it off, the road I live on is called 'County Line Road', and the other side of the road is in a different county. It hasn't caused us any problems, but every time I see a survey crew out I get a little worried.

Gillianren
2012-Jul-28, 06:31 PM

George Washington didn't want political parties. Heck, most of the Founding Fathers didn't think there would ever be political parties, because they didn't think people would agree enough about enough issues to come together on any kind of permanent basis. Turns out that it's not true. Oh, not everyone in every party agrees about every issue, but they agree enough so that they vote similarly on a range of issues. Enough to put together a party system, anyway.

He probably would keep rates down, especially for people with DUI convictions.

Well, he can try. Thurston County only has so much control over the issue, after all. Drunk drivers are factored into car insurance for everyone.

swampyankee
2012-Jul-28, 07:40 PM
My property straddles two different townships, and the line runs right through my house. I don't know how it is in other states, but in Pennsylvania you pay property taxes and vote according to the township you live in. It's been causing us headaches for the last eight years. To top it off, the road I live on is called 'County Line Road', and the other side of the road is in a different county. It hasn't caused us any problems, but every time I see a survey crew out I get a little worried.

Luckily, I don't live on one of our town lines (in New England towns are townships elsewhere in the US), but it can get confusing. There
is a current lawsuit between somebody and one of the towns about a person's residency: he claims residency in one town, but the town is arguing he's resident to the other.