PDA

View Full Version : Sponsor Clear Sky Chart for Sacramento CA

John Jaksich
2012-Jul-25, 04:19 PM
I have a web site that was receiving a handful of hits per month-- & at that site, I have been sponsoring the ClearSkies Chart. Among some notables is that for a few cents per day one can customize their own location:

The software is Canadian and the software engineer is Attilla Danko---Here is his link

http://cleardarksky.com/

As an aside my site also has a link to the "youtube"-- Jet Propulsion Lab---as well as Wolfram Alpha, and other science based links

I seemed to be getting more hits when I was including more science youtube links.

StarStryder
2012-Jul-25, 07:14 PM
Hi John,

Can you write up for folks how they can setup their own local clear sky clocks? (And if we wanted to setup clear sky clocks for all our virtual start party sites, would you be willing to help?)

Cheers,
Pamela

John Jaksich
2012-Jul-25, 07:34 PM
Hi John,

Can you write up for folks how they can setup their own local clear sky clocks? (And if we wanted to setup clear sky clocks for all our virtual start party sites, would you be willing to help?)

Cheers,
Pamela

Hello Pam

I would be glad to help with the virtual Star Party Sites---what exactly to you need? Just name it!

If I understand what you are asking:

In some cases--> one may not have to go to the extent that I have with my own domain name----> but it gives me more control over what I can put or say on the web site.

(1) I got my own domain--> www.aqsystems.net
(2) Built my own website ---> I used a cookie cutter approach with Open Source materials
(3) I use Google Analytics to monitor traffic at my site
(4) Contacted Attilla Danko and embedded his software--as well as paid for a sponsorship
(5) I have embedded JPL "youtube" videos monthly and sometimes weekly
(6) Put links to BAUT, NASA apod, Wolfram Alpha, American Physical Society, American Chemical Society, and others
(7) Learned a little HTML markup language

natattack
2012-Jul-25, 10:12 PM
If I understand correctly, some of the clear sky charts might already exist. It's a question of locating one close enough to each of the star party telescopes or requesting one if that doesn't exist yet. There is coverage for the US, Canada, and parts of Mexico apparently. I guess each person would need to look up their own unless it was already known exactly where they were located (the sites cites 24km or 15 miles distance range for a new chart). Then I would presume adding a reference page (were you thinking on CQ somewhere?) to embed the different forecasts for consultation would follow similar steps to what John described. Plus sending Allan Rahill a thank you note as well (he's responsible for the forecast model).

Has anyone heard of something similar for those located elsewhere?

John Jaksich
2012-Jul-25, 10:37 PM
If I understand correctly, some of the clear sky charts might already exist. It's a question of locating one close enough to each of the star party telescopes or requesting one if that doesn't exist yet. There is coverage for the US, Canada, and parts of Mexico apparently. I guess each person would need to look up their own unless it was already known exactly where they were located (the sites cites 24km or 15 miles distance range for a new chart). Then I would presume adding a reference page (were you thinking on CQ somewhere?) to embed the different forecasts for consultation would follow similar steps to what John described. Plus sending Allan Rahill a thank you note as well (he's responsible for the forecast model).

Has anyone heard of something similar for those located elsewhere?

I have seen similar ones sponsored by Sky & Telescope but (right now?) I am unable to locate any?

There is one more---that is fairly interesting: from Australia----->

http://www.skippysky.com.au/