PDA

View Full Version : It's official: I have lost my mind.

Buttercup
2012-Jul-26, 07:40 PM
An author, filmmaker, artist has befriended me via Twitter. I've been a fan of his for years. He's got a "milestone" birthday coming up, and I've decided to create a mandala (with quality colored pencils) and mail it to his p.o. box address.

*nervous gulp*

This man's artwork alone can fetch into the thousands of dollars. Meanwhile, I'm lucky to draw a perfect circle. :-\

He's got a big heart and this is coming from my heart. But will admit I'll be blushing like mad when sealing the finished product into a sturdy mailer and handing it over to the Post Office.

I can be brave in the strangest ways. Hopefully I won't chicken out.

KaiYeves
2012-Jul-26, 08:26 PM
I'm sure he'll love getting a gift that you put your heart into, Buttercup.

Ara Pacis
2012-Jul-26, 10:39 PM
Good luck. I hope he gets it. I'm never sure if contact information is for them or a publicist or something.

To paraphrase a famous artist, "And in the end, the art you take is equal to the art you make."

Buttercup
2012-Jul-26, 10:46 PM
Good luck. I hope he gets it. I'm never sure if contact information is for them or a publicist or something.

Thanks :-) (to both of you). The address is to him; will reach him.

I've already got some ideas jotted down. They're *good* ideas, but the difficulty is in executing them; the actual drawing. :-( I've already decided to go with squares, not circles; circles drive me crazy.

And thinking "Oh geez...well, I'll do my best regardless."

LookingSkyward
2012-Jul-27, 08:38 AM
abandon apprehension, it just gets in the way of making new friends :)
Best case: (and, I think most likely) he's touched and appreciative.

Worst case: He's not... and do you want that kind of friend anyway?

Heart, as you noted above, is the important bit

Buttercup
2012-Jul-27, 12:30 PM
abandon apprehension, it just gets in the way of making new friends :)
Best case: (and, I think most likely) he's touched and appreciative.

Worst case: He's not... and do you want that kind of friend anyway?

Heart, as you noted above, is the important bit

I just hope he doesn't wonder if I've done this because I want something from him. But he's a seasoned pro, very intelligent, and has dealt with fans and admirers for nearly 25 years now; should think he's also discerning as regards sincerity.

I made a rough outline last evening of what I intend to make. Need to add to it, change some of the color scheme, etc.

And hope I don't chicken out. :-p

LookingSkyward
2012-Jul-27, 12:40 PM
Don't chicken out, you have nothing to loose :>

Ara Pacis
2012-Jul-27, 04:38 PM
Thanks :-) (to both of you). The address is to him; will reach him.

I've already got some ideas jotted down. They're *good* ideas, but the difficulty is in executing them; the actual drawing. :-( I've already decided to go with squares, not circles; circles drive me crazy.

And thinking "Oh geez...well, I'll do my best regardless."
Live life without regrets, they say. No matter what happens you'll have a good story to tell.

DoggerDan
2012-Jul-28, 05:55 AM
Since I retired, I've become online friends with a couple of well-known folks. If this had happened fifteen years ago, I'd have been a little freaked out!

I'm a little more mellow, now. These days, while I was a little surprised, it seemed natural. I enjoyed their posts, and they enjoyed mine.

It's kind of cool, actually, but it's not like we're getting together to go skiing in Aspen or anything!

Buttercup
2012-Sep-13, 06:57 PM
I felt a mandala was too pretentious (and ambitious) a concept (considering my overall lack of artistic skill), so I've opted to making a birthday card for him. It's going out today.

I took 3 shades of current lipstick and very cleanly made "blossoms" with my lips on the card. Turned the card quickly each time, to create a blurring flower-like impression.

This man is gay, out and proud, but totally respectful and befriending of women. He's accepted my compliment to him on his good looks; he took that in good humor/stride.

These are meant to be *flowers*, not kisses.

Of course if he wants to view them as kisses, that's fine too -- lol!

I included a handwritten note thanking him for his online supportiveness, all the years of entertainment, etc. He is a DOLL. Never imagined any sort of personal interaction with him; we've now had 3 very brief personal Twitter exchanges. I'm still elated. :)