PDA

View Full Version : Usernames you've misread

LookingSkyward
2012-Jul-27, 01:55 PM
Just saw a post from a user who's monicker is one letter off from my real-life last name - I had to blink a couple times...

Paul Beardsley
2012-Jul-27, 02:01 PM
Every time I see your username I think of the wonderful Zelda game, Skyward Sword.

LookingSkyward
2012-Jul-27, 02:06 PM
<LIKE!>

nosbig5
2012-Jul-27, 02:30 PM
publius has caught me off-guard more than once

primummobile
2012-Jul-27, 03:58 PM
It took me quite a while to realize that 'noclevername' meant "no clever name'. I thought it was something in a foreign language that I wasn't understanding. I wasn't even sure how to pronounce it.

SkepticJ
2012-Jul-27, 04:12 PM
RAF_Blackace has gotten an f inserted between the k and the a a few times.

First time I "saw" that my reaction was predictable.

Ara Pacis
2012-Jul-27, 04:35 PM
publius has caught me off-guard more than once

Says the peep with the big nose. :)

Trebuchet
2012-Jul-27, 05:13 PM
I used to confuse "Noclevername" with "Neverfly" fairly consistently.

PetersCreek
2012-Jul-27, 06:06 PM
I initially had a hard time remembering how to write pzkpfw's username without having it on the screen in front of me...especially since another member also had a string-of-letters username. That problem vanished when he explained what it stood for: Panzerkampfwagen. Having lived in Germany for a few years, once I knew the German word behind it, remembering the string of letters was a snap.

Swift
2012-Jul-27, 06:14 PM
I initially had a hard time remembering how to write pzkpfw's username without having it on the screen in front of me...especially since another member also had a string-of-letters username. That problem vanished when he explained what it stood for: Panzerkampfwagen. Having lived in Germany for a few years, once I knew the German word behind it, remembering the string of letters was a snap.
I always struggled with pzkpfw's username, and in fact, still do.

Noclevername
2012-Jul-27, 06:16 PM
I used to confuse "Noclevername" with "Neverfly" fairly consistently.

Ouch. I hope that problem's been solved now!

nosbig5
2012-Jul-27, 06:50 PM
Says the peep with the big nose. :)

It's pronounced noz-big with a short o, not nose-big! How dare you!!:rolleyes:

My nose is just big enough to keep my glasses on my face.

The first time I saw it, I read "Trebucket." Had to google trebuchet, hadn't heard that word before.

R.A.F.
2012-Jul-27, 07:15 PM
Ouch. I hope that problem's been solved now!

Indeed....

Usernames I've misread?....well, there's PetersGreek.

Noclevername
2012-Jul-27, 07:19 PM
I always struggled with pzkpfw's username, and in fact, still do.

It's pronounced just like it's spelled.

PetersCreek
2012-Jul-27, 07:25 PM
Usernames I've misread?....well, there's PetersGreek.

Heh... that's a new one to me. The more common misreading results in people calling me Peter... but never Peters, for some reason.

R.A.F.
2012-Jul-27, 07:31 PM
It's pronounced just like it's spelled.

Like a "raspberry"?? (smile with tongue hanging out)

PetersCreek
2012-Jul-27, 08:10 PM
If we're adhering to German spelling/pronunciation (as I recall it) that would more or less be: "pay-tset-kah-pay-eff-vay"

If we're going with English pronunciation...what R.A.F. said.

Trebuchet
2012-Jul-27, 08:12 PM
It's pronounced noz-big with a short o, not nose-big! How dare you!!:rolleyes:

My nose is just big enough to keep my glasses on my face.

The first time I saw it, I read "Trebucket." Had to google trebuchet, hadn't heard that word before.

And it's not pronounced "treebucket, either"! Linky (http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php/136120-Really-trivial-stuff-that-bugs-you?p=2047139#post2047139)

Trebuchets are really a great deal of fun. And pretty much anyone can build a small one. The problem is stopping with just that small one...

redshifter
2012-Jul-27, 11:28 PM
I've accidentally left the 'f' out of my username when logging in a time or two...

KaiYeves
2012-Jul-27, 11:39 PM

Same.

Ara Pacis
2012-Jul-28, 12:23 AM
Not a username, but for some reason I've gotten into the habit of calling this subforum "off-topic parab'ling" 'cause each discussion seems to take a similar "arc". And then there's "Science and Treknology" 'cause it's either science or science fictional ideas.

Gemini
2012-Jul-28, 12:53 AM
For the longest I thought Kilopi was pronounce kilopee. Then I noticced it was 1000 times Pi.

Ara Pacis
2012-Jul-28, 12:56 AM
For the longest I thought Kilopi was pronounce kilopee.I've always pronounced it that way.

DoggerDan
2012-Jul-28, 05:15 AM
I've accidentally left the 'f' out of my username when logging in a time or two...

That's ok. I've accidentally left out the "f" when I've read it! Actually, I thought it was two "t's". I wondered how you managed to pass that one by the mods!

Then I looked at it a little closer. Dang! Do I need reading glasses for my computer? Yikes...

Paul Beardsley
2012-Jul-28, 06:10 AM
I've read posts and thought, "I don't remember saying that!" Then I realised it was by the user called Punch Beardsley.

So far nobody has been incited to do this, but it's just a matter of time...

Noclevername
2012-Jul-29, 10:39 AM
There's a member named nightfly, and for a brief moment I thought it was neverfly!

Nicolas
2012-Jul-29, 06:57 PM
There must be a zillion PM's in Nicholas' inbox calling him bad things, while people actually wanted to send them to me. As Nicholas isn't active, it doesn't happen the other way around.

Gillianren
2012-Jul-29, 07:32 PM
Or wanting to wish him a happy birthday or compliment a post. But I promise you that I have never sent him a PM criticizing his grammar!

Noclevername
2012-Jul-29, 11:24 PM

Yeah, I made the same mistake when I saw that the first time-- and the second!

Noclevername
2012-Jul-30, 12:24 AM
Arrgh! Now everytime I see Trebuchet I find myself thinking "Treebucket"!

Trebuchet
2012-Jul-30, 12:32 AM
Note to self: Go do some work on the treebucket tomorrow! Hurling Season approacheth.

Fazor
2012-Jul-30, 05:50 PM
... would a treebucket be a bucket made from trees -- which is just a wooden bucket, and thus not very exciting -- or a bucket for carrying trees -- which would have to be either huge, or magical?

I think most of the ones that I misread have already been mentioned -- RAF_Black(F)Ace the most often. I know when I first joined, other new people would confuse my name with Fraser . . . which was a little embarrassing since when I joined, I wasn't aware of the name or the fact that he was one of the co-owners. I know "trolls" often intentionally mimic those names. But I've been using "Fazor" since the early 90's . . . back in the direct-dial BBS days.

Trebuchet
2012-Jul-30, 06:45 PM
... would a treebucket be a bucket made from trees -- which is just a wooden bucket, and thus not very exciting -- or a bucket for carrying trees -- which would have to be either huge, or magical?

Certainly all of mine are made from trees! Or at least, mostly from trees. And they often have a bucket on the short end, which you fill with rocks or other heavy stuff!

Gillianren
2012-Jul-30, 06:48 PM

Or for very small trees. At my old apartment, there was a pretty standard plastic bucket that someone had thrown into the pond behind our building; it had a palm tree growing out of it.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Jul-30, 07:00 PM
I know there was discussion on wikipedia claiming that the redirect of Fraser Cain (which is his real name) to Universe Today was trying to leech off Frasier Crane the sitcom character for hits.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Jul-30, 07:02 PM
Or for very small trees. At my old apartment, there was a pretty standard plastic bucket that someone had thrown into the pond behind our building; it had a palm tree growing out of it.
I have three treebuckets on my balcony at the moment, with two small apple trees in each. The fourth isn't a treebucket as it has a vine and a raspberry bush growing in it instead.

slang
2012-Jul-30, 11:15 PM
As Nicholas isn't active, it doesn't happen the other way around.

No wishlists intended for the St. sent to you then? :-)

slang
2012-Jul-30, 11:20 PM
I have three treebuckets [...]

I keep reading Treebucket as Threebucket. Misread usernames that I've misread...

<mind warps> "The Bouquet-residence, Ent of the house speaking!".

Noclevername
2012-Jul-30, 11:56 PM
<mind warps>

I have to admit I misread this as well.

"It's just a jump to the left..."

KaiYeves
2012-Jul-31, 12:57 PM

Maybe a bucket intended to be hung from the branches of a tree?

LookingSkyward
2012-Jul-31, 01:24 PM
I was thinking sugar maple sap tap collector bucket :>

HenrikOlsen
2012-Jul-31, 01:26 PM
Maybe a bucket intended to be hung from the branches of a tree?

Treebuckets (http://www.land-of-snow.com/making_maple_syrup.html). (link to page with image)

ETA: Two minds, one thought.

LookingSkyward
2012-Jul-31, 01:54 PM
Henrik, once is an innocuous coincidence. But if you find substantial evidence of thinking like me, seek help :>

Nicolas
2012-Jul-31, 08:57 PM
No wishlists intended for the St. sent to you then? :-)

It blew the fuse on my spam filter last december.

Ara Pacis
2012-Jul-31, 11:04 PM
re OP, I also sometimes mistake cjl for cil, short for Cecilia. Luckily, my heart remains unbroken and my confidence unshaken.

mutleyeng
2012-Jul-31, 11:19 PM
slight tangent, but related.
when looking at the forum index, you can get some amusing combinations of partial thread titles followed by last poster username.
there have been some interesting "Could the universe be...." combinations couple of nights ago it was randy, and been grey and strange.

well, it made me laff

mike alexander
2012-Aug-01, 06:08 AM
I once misread Paul Beardsley as Annette Funicello. I've never eaten one of those brownies again.

Paul Beardsley
2012-Aug-01, 07:25 AM
I once misread Paul Beardsley as Annette Funicello. I've never eaten one of those brownies again.

This is far more common than people think. Once when I turned up for a job interview, the interviewer glanced at my CV*, grinned, and started singing, "M-I-C, K-E-Y, M-O-U..." then reddened as he realised his mistake.

Ironically I only got the job because they wanted a tall person called Paul.

*Resume in the US

LookingSkyward
2012-Aug-01, 07:28 AM
LOL

Noclevername
2012-Aug-01, 08:13 AM
This is far more common than people think. Once when I turned up for a job interview, the interviewer glanced at my CV*, grinned, and started singing, "M-I-C, K-E-Y, M-O-U..." then reddened as he realised his mistake.

*Resume in the US

Wow, what a silly mistake to make! Incidentally, are you ever doing another movie with Frankie Avalon?

Swift
2012-Aug-01, 12:39 PM
Frankie Avalon was the most cautious man who ever lived.

He never worked without Annette.

http://1389blog.com/pix/rimshot.gif

Noclevername
2012-Aug-01, 12:43 PM
*groan*

Gillianren
2012-Aug-01, 03:50 PM

If you get that song stuck in my head today, I may turn out to be the mysterious Punch Beardsley. And then I will tell you who wrote that song and what substantially more famous song they wrote, and I will be avenged.

Trebuchet
2012-Aug-01, 03:55 PM
If you get that song stuck in my head today, I may turn out to be the mysterious Punch Beardsley. And then I will tell you who wrote that song and what substantially more famous song they wrote, and I will be avenged.

Thanks a bunch! Every time somebody mentions an earworm, it starts going through my head, only to be followed quickly by The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Now I'm going to have that all day.

KaiYeves
2012-Aug-01, 05:01 PM
Thanks a bunch! Every time somebody mentions an earworm, it starts going through my head, only to be followed quickly by The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Now I'm going to have that all day.

My friends and I started singing The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald while walking up the sidewalk after our White House tour a few weeks ago. I'm sure we got some looks.

LookingSkyward
2012-Aug-02, 07:41 AM
AGN Fuel - keep thinking it's a thread title

closetgeek
2012-Aug-02, 12:26 PM
It took me quite a while to realize that 'noclevername' meant "no clever name'. I thought it was something in a foreign language that I wasn't understanding. I wasn't even sure how to pronounce it.

I was reading Novaclaim, for the longest time. I also read Whirlpool as Whipperwill.

Noclevername
2012-Aug-08, 08:39 AM
I keep reading BetaDust as BetaBeast. What is a beta beast you ask? It's an obscure type of alien monster from the short-lived Godzilla comic book in the '70s. How is it I remember that but I still have to look up my own social security number?

Gillianren
2012-Aug-08, 04:06 PM
I learned mine in college. The summer after I graduated, they switched over to "student ID numbers." I got one, because I think technically all alumni did, but I have no idea what it was, because I've never used it.

KaiYeves
2012-Aug-09, 09:15 PM
I was reading Novaclaim, for the longest time. I also read Whirlpool as Whipperwill.

I just read that as Novaclam, which I assume would be an alien shellfish.

Ara Pacis
2012-Aug-09, 09:34 PM

Or an anti-Scientologist.

Paul Beardsley
2012-Aug-10, 02:47 PM

Didn't Douglas Adams speak of "a whelk's chance in a supernova"?

(Yes he did.)

slang
2012-Oct-14, 10:12 PM
This is really terrible after all those years, but I still see James huff. Posting with small clouds evaporating, like. Sorry.

Noclevername
2012-Oct-15, 12:00 AM
"See James huff. Huff, james, huff."

SeanF
2012-Oct-15, 12:48 AM
"Huff, james, huff."
Is that like "Bond. James Bond"?

Noclevername
2012-Oct-15, 12:49 AM
Is that like "Bond. James Bond"?

It's from the Dick & Jane children's books. "See spot run"...

slang
2012-Oct-15, 10:40 PM
"See James huff. Huff, james, huff."

Spot on!

(Incidentally, apparently the book currently being read by one of the lesser, but adult, members of society in one of Pratchett's Discworld novels, with a bookmark carefully inserted at page 7)

Eta C
2012-Oct-17, 12:10 AM
As this board (and its predecessors all the way back to the BABB) are astronomy related many people mistook the source of my username. Eta C does not refer to the star (Eta Carinae) but rather to a subatomic particle (http://pdg.lbl.gov/2012/listings/rpp2012-list-eta-c-1S.pdf). The eta c is the spin 0, singlet S1 state of the charm-anticharm system of which the J/Psi (triplet S1) is the lowest spin 1 state. The eta c played a major role in my dissertation, so I thought I'd adopt it for the user name.

Swift
2012-Oct-17, 02:04 AM
As this board (and its predecessors all the way back to the BABB) are astronomy related many people mistook the source of my username. Eta C does not refer to the star (Eta Carinae) but rather to a subatomic particle (http://pdg.lbl.gov/2012/listings/rpp2012-list-eta-c-1S.pdf). The eta c is the spin 0, singlet S1 state of the charm-anticharm system of which the J/Psi (triplet S1) is the lowest spin 1 state. The eta c played a major role in my dissertation, so I thought I'd adopt it for the user name.
Me for one (as I sheepishly raise my hand). I always assumed the star. I did know your avatar was the author of one of the quotes in your signature, and no, not Tweedledee. ;)

Charm-anticharm system... :think: Sounds like the story of my life. :D

Solfe
2012-Oct-17, 03:50 AM
I learned mine in college. The summer after I graduated, they switched over to "student ID numbers." I got one, because I think technically all alumni did, but I have no idea what it was, because I've never used it.

My school switched to Student ID numbers in the early to mid-90's. Those numbers just happened to be identical to my social security number.

Fancy names like Noclevername are completely lost on me in the same way INXS and XTC were completely lost on me. On a trip to Canada, I was amused by the name "The Beer Store" and made a comment to that effect. The person at the counter asked me if I knew what "LCBO" stood for and I answered "no". He merely nodded and gave me a bottle of rum.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Oct-17, 10:57 AM
Spot on!

(Incidentally, apparently the book currently being read by one of the lesser, but adult, members of society in one of Pratchett's Discworld novels, with a bookmark carefully inserted at page 7)
Ah, Hogfather, one of my favorites.

And I'm quite certain I'm far from being the only one who can identify the book from that hint.
One of the things I really like about Pratchett is how every character seem to be fully fleshed out individuals, no matter how small their "on-stage" presence.
Just consider Vincent "the Invulnerable" 1, who only existed for one sentence to lend colour to a bar and to explain the pragmatic approach of the city watch.

1) In the opinion of the watch, he committed suicide by entering a notorious bar and stating his name was Vincent "the Invulnerable", something enthusiastically tested and thus disproven by quite a lot of the patrons.

Gillianren
2012-Oct-17, 05:02 PM
My school switched to Student ID numbers in the early to mid-90's. Those numbers just happened to be identical to my social security number.

The previous student ID numbers at my college had been Social Security numbers, but you're not really supposed to do that. In 2001, they changed. I am given to understand that you can still access your records with your Social Security number if you graduated in 2001 or earlier (some thirty years of the college's history), because they know none of us were around to get the new numbers.

Trebuchet
2012-Oct-17, 05:07 PM
A couple of weeks ago I misread DoggerDan as BigDon, probably because it was an aquarium thread and I've been worried about Don.

KaiYeves
2012-Oct-17, 08:55 PM
Oh, okay, cool! I never thought to ask.

Tobin Dax
2012-Oct-19, 06:53 PM

That's a much better choice than, say, Goodwin & Green. ;)

Durakken
2012-Oct-20, 09:53 PM
It stands to reason that the only way that you can say that you mispronounced a name is to know what the correct pronunciation is... I simply claim whatever I say it is it is :D

On the other hand I have only hear one person ever pronounce Durakken correctly upon the first try and it was a pants salesman. A person who had that had the least need of ever doing it.
I have been mistaken for Draken, Drakken, Dura-ken, etc... the correct way to pronounce it is Dragon ^.^ The kk becomes a g sound when said correctly and the "e" morphs depending on your accent. Some people say Dragon with an "e" sound.

Now go back to your belief that you are all pronouncing each other's names right even though you are simply pronouncing them how you want to!

Ara Pacis
2012-Oct-21, 06:22 AM
It stands to reason that the only way that you can say that you mispronounced a name is to know what the correct pronunciation is... I simply claim whatever I say it is it is :D

On the other hand I have only hear one person ever pronounce Durakken correctly upon the first try and it was a pants salesman. A person who had that had the least need of ever doing it.
I have been mistaken for Draken, Drakken, Dura-ken, etc... the correct way to pronounce it is Dragon ^.^ The kk becomes a g sound when said correctly and the "e" morphs depending on your accent. Some people say Dragon with an "e" sound.

Now go back to your belief that you are all pronouncing each other's names right even though you are simply pronouncing them how you want to!

Why would a pants salesman know your nomme de web?

Durakken
2012-Oct-21, 09:39 AM
Why would a pants salesman know your nomme de web?

email address while filling out information. He looked at it and said it out loud... I was just so surprised at that because I have never heard anyone pronounce it right without being told. That's the only reason remember that. Even after I tell people how it's pronounced they have trouble with it. It's interesting and I'm sure that it's due to some thing in the language center of the brain.