PDA

View Full Version : Meteor strike ended ancient civilizations?

David Hall
2001-Nov-09, 02:55 PM
Here's an interesting news story I just dug up. It says a crater in southern Iraq could have been responsible for the fall of some ancient Middle-Eastern civilizations. Hmm.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/0111/06/world/world11.html

Jetmech0417
2002-Oct-14, 08:10 PM
Do you know if there are any satellite photos of the area online so we can see the crater for ourselves?

BTW, I know this is old news, but, as you can see, I'm new to the forum.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jetmech0417 on 2002-10-14 16:11 ]</font>

nebularain
2002-Oct-14, 08:34 PM
Well, Jetmech0417 - Welcome to the Board! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

DH - Your link sent me to a "Page not found" /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Karl
2002-Oct-14, 08:42 PM
On 2002-10-14 16:34, nebularain wrote:

DH - Your link sent me to a "Page not found" /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Try this:
http://old.smh.com.au/news/0111/06/world/world11.html

nebularain
2002-Oct-14, 09:41 PM
Thanks, Karl!

Hmm - interesting proposal. I hope we will be able to see more research into this.

Squink
2002-Oct-15, 01:57 AM
This satellite image complements Karl's map. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2001/11/04/wmet04.xml

David Hall
2002-Oct-15, 06:09 AM
On 2002-10-14 16:34, nebularain wrote:

Well, that's because I posted it almost a year ago. The page has probably moved on into the old news home by now. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Check out Karl's link for the story.

nebularain
2002-Oct-15, 12:01 PM
Oh - I didn't notice the date.v I wonder why no one responded to this back then?

Kaptain K
2002-Oct-15, 09:58 PM
Interesting how this 4k year old, two mile wide crater is so obscured that it took satelite photos to discover it. Meanwhile, the 50k year old, 3/4 mile wide Barringer crater is so pristine that could almost be on the moon. Just goes to show what a difference in climate can make!

AgoraBasta
2002-Oct-15, 11:05 PM
It's not impossible that peculiar vegetation pattern could form such a shape. Perfectly round small lakes and swamps aren't very unusual.

Jetmech0417
2002-Oct-16, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome, and thanks much for the link to the satellite images. The only picture I got on the origional post was a "map" with a black dot showing where the crater was. Thanks again, all.

Jet

beskeptical
2002-Oct-19, 08:22 AM
I'm waiting to find out if the geologist who believes the Sphinx's weathering pattern suggests it is 10K years old instead of 4K the archeologists have concluded. Both sciences are using different criteria and maybe some discovery like a major impact will resolve the controversy. The geologist had very convincing evidence for his differing conclusions. The archeologists aren't buying it because there has been no evidence of a civilization advanced enough to account for the Sphinx 10K years ago.

Espritch
2002-Oct-19, 02:07 PM
It's not impossible that peculiar vegetation pattern could form such a shape. Perfectly round small lakes and swamps aren't very unusual.

Speaking of small roundish (mainly oval) lakes and swamps, the costal plains of North and South Carolina have numerous small oval wetland areas (at least those that have not been drained) called Carolina Bays. No one is sure what created them. A series of meteor impacts are among the proposed explenations.

http://abob.libs.uga.edu/bobk/cbay.html

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: espritch on 2002-10-19 22:53 ]</font>

Russ
2002-Oct-19, 02:37 PM
I saw a show about this creater on the Discovery/TLC/History (can't member which) about a year ago. They had the high power radar image from the shuttle project to show it. They mentioned that it could account for several biblical catastrophies.

They also mentioned that the shuttle radar project found the remenents of a huge lake in the middle of what is now the Sahara Dessert. Also a very interesting find.