PDA

View Full Version : Paul McCartney was paid an insane amount of money to perform at the Olympics

R.A.F.
2012-Jul-31, 02:37 AM
I really like this (http://olympics.yardbarker.com/blog/olympics/article/paul_mccartney_was_paid_an_insane_amount_of_money_ for_performing_at_the_olympics/11336644). It brought a smile to my face.

Sir Paul is OK in my book.

Noclevername
2012-Jul-31, 02:44 AM
HA! They're absolutely right, I never would have guessed that amount!

Solfe
2012-Jul-31, 04:47 AM
That is pretty amazing. I knew I liked Paul McCartney for a reason.

Gillianren
2012-Jul-31, 05:15 AM
Well, sure. He wrote "Yesterday."

Jens
2012-Jul-31, 05:26 AM
Wasn't he also friends with the guy who wrote "Imagine"?

Strange
2012-Jul-31, 09:29 AM
Wasn't he also friends with the guy who wrote "Imagine"?

But we shouldn't hold that against him.

Tog
2012-Jul-31, 09:47 AM
But, he was also responsible in some way for "Revolution 9", and that we should hold against him.

captain swoop
2012-Jul-31, 10:19 AM
But he also wrote Live and Let Die one of my top 10!

Ara Pacis
2012-Jul-31, 10:39 AM
Didn't he write "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime"? I can't stand that song.

But "Yesterday", I'd buy that for a dollar. for some odd reason, I've only in the last year had an appreciation for it... as if I hadn't heard it before. Maybe I hadn't, but that makes no sense.

DonM435
2012-Jul-31, 12:29 PM
Well, sure. He wrote "Yesterday."

But what's he done lately? Today??

Solfe
2012-Jul-31, 12:30 PM

Aw, great. Now I have that song stuck in my head. : )

Buttercup
2012-Jul-31, 12:45 PM
Especially classy in these financially difficult (for so many people) times.

Thank you Paul (and the others)! :-)

LotusExcelle
2012-Jul-31, 12:48 PM
The way the Olympics works I wouldn't be amazed if an official review took those euros away from the performers at the last minute.

schlaugh
2012-Jul-31, 01:05 PM
Well, then he won't need to re-cover "Money (That's What I Want.).

Kaptain K
2012-Jul-31, 01:56 PM
Hmmm. Did the Queen get the same pay?

Cougar
2012-Jul-31, 02:13 PM
Thank you Paul (and the others)! :-)

Friend of mine I used to play music with (Brian Ray) plays guitar and bass for Paul. I guess he didn't get a very big cut for that gig!

Trebuchet
2012-Jul-31, 02:36 PM
How come he was paid in Euro? That's not the currency there!

ETA: Based on the dollar amount given, it appears the payment was in pounds. Bad Reporting!

NEOWatcher
2012-Jul-31, 05:58 PM
ETA: Based on the dollar amount given, it appears the payment was in pounds. Bad Reporting!
Yep; the guy can't even transcribe the source article he read.
In it... "signed a contract for the 1 ($1.60, 1.30 euros) token amount"

slang
2012-Jul-31, 09:30 PM

I see your top 10 and raise you one Mull of Kintyre! :-P

captain swoop
2012-Jul-31, 11:03 PM
OK I raise the Band on the Run album. ! magic.

captain swoop
2012-Jul-31, 11:03 PM
I did some work at hisstudio in Kent near Peasemarsh back in the 90s. He wasn't there at the time though.

Noclevername
2012-Aug-01, 03:07 AM
What, no love for "Baby, You Can Drive My Car?"

*ducks and runs*

peteshimmon
2012-Aug-01, 03:22 AM
Huh! It's quite simple, the fantastic
coverage would help his career along
no end!

oh wait...

mutleyeng
2012-Aug-01, 03:43 AM
Ive only just watched the opening ceremony - Olympics not really being my thing.
Gotta say they did us quite proud.
I was thrilled to see Tim Berners-Lee being recognised in such a way. They could have had McCartney do live and let die after the parachute jump - otherwise, jolly good show chaps

DoggerDan
2012-Aug-01, 09:45 AM
I've heard each and every one of the many thousands of British citizens who participated in the opening ceremonies did so for free, because they loved their country. What an admirable thing to do!

I have zero doubt Sir Paul did the same thing, and for the same reasons.

peteshimmon
2012-Aug-01, 11:40 AM
Should have done the Frog Song though.

we all stand together...

SeanF
2012-Aug-01, 02:08 PM
Meh, I don't understand the point of the article. At the end, they acknowledge that everybody who performed was "paid" the same amount, and for the same reason. Why the focus on McCartney?

I mean, sure, he probably could have demanded more money, but that would have been terrible PR. What he did was almost certainly the best choice for his own personal financial bottom line, so it doesn't strike me as being notably altruistic or anything.

I'm not accusing him of doing something bad or wrong, mind you, just that I don't think it was something amazing.

Noclevername
2012-Aug-01, 02:33 PM
Why the focus on McCartney?

Because he was the biggest celebrity there; That's how journalism works, apparently. (I would normally add "these days" to a comment like that but really, it's been like that since before paper was invented.)

Strange
2012-Aug-01, 04:01 PM
Biggest but definitely not the best (*). I couldn't bear to watch the end. It must have been absolutely brilliant for the people who were there singing along, but to hear some old geezer unable to hit a note was really painful.

(*) For me that would be Evelyn Glennie

WaxRubiks
2012-Aug-01, 04:08 PM
there are some high notes in 'Hey Jude'.

R.A.F.
2012-Aug-01, 04:10 PM
Why the focus on McCartney?

Well, his career has spanned the last 50 years, but what do I know....

mutleyeng
2012-Aug-01, 04:17 PM
it wasnt great, but it wasnt that bad, Strange.
Im just surprised we didnt get Brian May on the roof of the stadium. Mind you, theres still time - i think i read the closing ceremony is very music orientated

Noclevername
2012-Aug-01, 04:18 PM
Biggest but definitely not the best

Since when has quality mattered in reporting?

R.A.F.
2012-Aug-01, 04:19 PM
...to hear some old geezer unable to hit a note...

Some old geezer....that's funny.

Ara Pacis
2012-Aug-01, 04:57 PM
Some old geezer....that's funny.

But he is, and he did have problems hitting the notes.

R.A.F.
2012-Aug-01, 05:54 PM
Still think it's funny...

SeanF
2012-Aug-01, 09:20 PM
Well, his career has spanned the last 50 years, but what do I know....
It was a rhetorical question, R.A.F. <smile>

R.A.F.
2012-Aug-01, 11:39 PM
It was a rhetorical question, R.A.F. <smile>

I sure do miss the smillees.

AGN Fuel
2012-Aug-02, 03:16 AM
When you've given 50 years of service and a catalogue of wonderful music to the world, I'm happy to overlook the odd missed note in return. It wouldn't have been the song I would have picked but after what he has done for us, he had every right to go out there and play Old MacDonald on the kazoo and he still would have deserved a standing ovation.

I would so much have loved to see Rowan Atkinson on a keyboard beside him though!

Jens
2012-Aug-02, 06:05 AM
I'm not accusing him of doing something bad or wrong, mind you, just that I don't think it was something amazing.

I feel the same. I don't know how things have been done in the past, but it may be that this is fairly normal. After all, the real stars of the event are performing at no pay, except for the prospect of a medal of course.

Ara Pacis
2012-Aug-02, 07:34 AM
I feel the same. I don't know how things have been done in the past, but it may be that this is fairly normal. After all, the real stars of the event are performing at no pay, except for the prospect of a medal of course.

Actually, I read tonight (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/winning-gold-medal-brings-9-000-tax-bill-171555961--oly.html) that the medalists each receive an honorarium: $25,000 for gold, $15,000 for silver and $10,000 for bronze... for which they have to pay taxes, although Senator Rubio recently proposed a bill to exempt that from taxation in the same way soldiers don't pay taxes for pay during combat.

captain swoop
2012-Aug-02, 09:19 AM
Do we think McCartney is worried about money? None of the Beatles seem to have cared much about finance at any time. (Not that they were ever short of cash)

HenrikOlsen
2012-Aug-02, 02:09 PM
Do we think McCartney is worried about money? None of the Beatles seem to have cared much about finance at any time. (Not that they were ever short of cash)
At least not if you start time some time after they started publishing records.

Trebuchet
2012-Aug-02, 02:53 PM

He's certainly not worried about it now, despite probably losing a good deal in his divorce. I do recall, however, seeing a documentary some years ago which said that shortly after the Beatles break-up he and Linda were living on a farm in California growing food for subsistence because they had no money at all -- everything was tied up in litigation.

DoggerDan
2012-Aug-03, 12:04 AM
Definitely a class act, as were all the folks who participated in the opening ceremonies. They did it for God and Country, or as the Brits would say, "For King and country," although I think currently that would be "queen and country."

captain swoop
2012-Aug-03, 08:38 AM
How many do you think did it for the Queen?

I have certainly never done anything for the royal family.

Trebuchet
2012-Aug-03, 02:38 PM
Hey, give the old gal some credit. She did sky-dive into the stadium, after all!

ClaudiaT
2012-Aug-05, 09:58 PM
Well of course he should play essentially for free. Anything else would be inappropriate.

slang
2012-Aug-05, 10:37 PM
Well of course he should play essentially for free. Anything else would be inappropriate.

Because he's who he is (basically insanely rich enough), or because nobody should be paid for taking part in an Olympic ceremony? Or maybe some other reason?

Trebuchet
2012-Aug-05, 10:42 PM
Hmm, I wonder if he gets a tax deduction for donating his performance?

potoole
2012-Aug-06, 06:54 AM
I really like this (http://olympics.yardbarker.com/blog/olympics/article/paul_mccartney_was_paid_an_insane_amount_of_money_ for_performing_at_the_olympics/11336644). It brought a smile to my face.

Sir Paul is OK in my book.

Good for Paul. $1.60. I'm proud of him. And you can tell him that, too.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Aug-06, 10:10 AM
Hmm, I wonder if he gets a tax deduction for donating his performance?
Since he was performing under contract and got paid, I doubt it.

Unless you mean if he could donate the 1 to a charity and get a deduction for it.

Cougar
2012-Aug-06, 01:14 PM
Since he was performing under contract and got paid, I doubt it.
Unless you mean if he could donate the 1 to a charity and get a deduction for it.

Oh, I figure he could write off his usual concert fee. I think performers do that all the time.