PDA

View Full Version : Any updates to the uranium "biological life" story (Savannah River Site)?

SRH
2012-Jul-31, 04:45 PM
http://chronicle.augusta.com/latest-news/2011-12-16/strange-nuclear-waste-lint-might-be-biological-nature?v=1324037122

Have there been any updates on this story? Hoax? spider? crystallization? life?
I found the original story in several places on the internet, but I haven't found any updates.

John Jaksich
2012-Aug-01, 11:54 AM
In situations such as this one rule of thumb would be "defining what is meant by life"---it may sound somewhat silly, but without a working definition the story coming from an everyday Newspaper requires "extraordinary evidence to back up such a claim."

One definition of Life (as specified by the NASA Exo-biology Program): "Life is a self-sustained chemical system capable of undergoing Darwinian evolution."

swampyankee
2012-Aug-01, 12:20 PM
Not to go too far afield, what does this really mean? That there is an organism, probably a prokaryote, which can survive in the water? I don't find that particularly shocking, as Deinococcus radiodurans has an absolutely insane tolerance for radiation, and public water supply systems regularly find slime growing in their pipes.

When I read the thread title I thought there was news about an organism using uranium in its chemistry. My hopes were, alas, dashed.

ravens_cry
2012-Aug-02, 01:30 PM
They found fungus growing inside the Chernobyl reactor, so this being true would not terribly surprise me.
Life finds a way.