PDA

View Full Version : Oregon - Major Earthquake Predicted

dgavin
2012-Aug-02, 07:32 PM
Sources: CBS.Com; UPI.com; Chris Goldfinger, OSU, Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences

A comprehensive analysis of the Cascadia Subduction Zone suggests that, based on recurrence frequency, there is a 40 percent chance of a major earthquake in the Coos Bay, Ore., region during the next 50 years, Oregon State University researchers reported Wednesday.

These would typically be of a magnitude from about 8.7 to 9.2 -- really huge earthquakes

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2012/08/01/Study-Oregon-overdue-for-earthquake/UPI-82971343850334/?spt=hs&or=sn

CBS news on TV last night state that thety also found evidence of historical 10.0 earthquakes off Coos Bay area in core drillings, but frankly, I can find nothing on more credible sources about that. Treat any mention of that magnitude of an earthquake as media hype, thats been tacked onto the prediction.

geonuc
2012-Aug-02, 08:05 PM
Oh, sure. Now that I'm considering moving to Oregon!

That's a bold prediction. Wonder how good it is?

dgavin
2012-Aug-03, 12:20 AM
That is a good question. Personally I'm rather suprised by it as well, but i'm assuming they are seeing something in those core sample, so I think we'll have to wait for the paper on those to be published.

Ara Pacis
2012-Aug-03, 05:46 AM
Oh, sure. Now that I'm considering moving to Oregon!

That's a bold prediction. Wonder how good it is?

Me too, though Mt. St. Helens scared us off the last time we lived there. But the Dream of the 90s is alive in the city of Portland.

dgavin
2012-Aug-07, 01:39 PM
Found some more information. A brief on this core sample research by PNSN. Sounds like it's solid research.

http://www.pnsn.org/outreach/earthquakesources/CSZ/turbiditeevidence

Jerry
2012-Aug-08, 05:02 AM
Figures...My stepdaughter just moved to Coos Bay...I'm going there this weekend. I'll let you know if anything happens.

Trebuchet
2012-Aug-08, 02:46 PM
Figures...My stepdaughter just moved to Coos Bay...I'm going there this weekend. I'll let you know if anything happens.

Maybe you should plan on letting us know if nothing happens. If anything does (along the lines of the prediction) you may not be able to!

danscope
2012-Sep-17, 04:51 AM
I wonder how extensive the sunami warning system is for the Oregon coast ? My brother is in Portland. Hmmmm...

Trebuchet
2012-Sep-17, 02:19 PM
I wonder how extensive the sunami warning system is for the Oregon coast ? My brother is in Portland. Hmmmm...

Very good, I think. We saw LOTS of Tsunami Evacuation Route signs and warning sirens when we were last there. The problem, of course, would be getting people to heed the sirens.

Swift
2012-Sep-17, 07:05 PM
Portland isn't on the coast, it is a ways inland, though it is on a river that empties into the Pacific.

Trebuchet
2012-Sep-17, 11:25 PM
Portland isn't on the coast, it is a ways inland, though it is on a river that empties into the Pacific.

Dang, I jumped right over the Portland part, I was talking about the actual coast! The tsunami from the March 2011 earthquake in Japan was actually detected at my second home in Port Townsend, WA, about 100 miles inland on the Strait of Juan de Fuca. It measured about a foot high and occurred at low tide.