PDA

View Full Version : Strange phenomenon: can anyone think of a simple explanation?

Jens
2012-Aug-06, 12:50 AM
I recently experienced something odd, and wonder if anyone can think of why this may have happened. It's a computer issue. I have an iPhone, and have my iPhone set up so that I get mail from my gmail account. I do have an applestore account, and an icloud account. Now the other day, I bought a macbook air, and for some reason the calendar on the macbook is synched to the calendar on my iphone, even though I don't remember doing anything purposefully to do that. Plus, the mail software on the macbook is receiving mail automatically from my gmail account even though I don't remember having set it up to do so. I suppose it's possible that I did it while sleepwalking, but it seems odd. I don't remember giving my email account information at the store when I bought the computer either. . .

danscope
2012-Aug-06, 01:23 AM
You had an apple Iphone. Once an apple customer...always an apple .....??? maybe. That great apple computer in the sky set up your new computer with all your info? Possibly.

Dan

Trebuchet
2012-Aug-06, 01:48 AM
I suspect once you're on the iCloud, everything's on the iCloud. Not necessarily a good thing, see here (http://www.emptyage.com/post/28679875595/yes-i-was-hacked-hard).

Jens
2012-Aug-06, 02:43 AM
I suspect once you're on the iCloud, everything's on the iCloud. Not necessarily a good thing, see here (http://www.emptyage.com/post/28679875595/yes-i-was-hacked-hard).

That sort of makes sense, but the problem is that I never used iCloud on the new Mac! So the only thing I can think of is that iCloud is somehow connected to my gmail account, and accessing that (through the web browser) caused the Mac to register onto iCloud. But that's crazy, because it would mean that if I used a Mac at random, the same thing would happen. I suspect I did something to cause this, but can't think of what it might be!

Jens
2012-Aug-06, 02:44 AM
You had an apple Iphone. Once an apple customer...always an apple .....??? maybe. That great apple computer in the sky set up your new computer with all your info? Possibly.

So you think Apple has a satellite and it noticed me holding both the iPhone and using the Mac, and decided they should be connected? Interesting hypothesis, but I sort of doubt it. :)

Swift
2012-Aug-06, 03:53 AM
So you think Apple has a satellite and it noticed me holding both the iPhone and using the Mac, and decided they should be connected? Interesting hypothesis, but I sort of doubt it. :)
No, but when you registered the two devices with Apple, or purchased them, I suspect you used the same name, with the same address, and maybe even the same credit card. And I can believe that Apple decided if you have two Apple devices, they should be connected.

danscope
2012-Aug-06, 04:36 AM
Yep...what Swift said.

Cookie
2012-Aug-06, 05:18 AM
Oh, man!
A new method of identity theft...
Steal an important person's wallet, buy an apple product with a credit card from it, and bam, access to his cloud and e-mails.
Great... :(

primummobile
2012-Aug-06, 03:21 PM
Not exactly the same thing, but I have an Android tablet and an Android phone and they synched the moment I entered my gmail account information into my phone. (I had the tablet first)

Swift
2012-Aug-06, 03:26 PM
You know, Apple says if you want to sync your phone and tablet, and they don't, that you should throw them into the nearest body of water.

Oh come on, you all have heard the expression "Sync or Swim".

<wink>

danscope
2012-Aug-06, 04:35 PM
That's good, " Sync or swim " !!!! :)

Jens
2012-Aug-07, 02:20 AM
Not exactly the same thing, but I have an Android tablet and an Android phone and they synched the moment I entered my gmail account information into my phone. (I had the tablet first)

That sounds just about right. So Google may be the culprit here.