PDA

View Full Version : Dragon*CON

NoisyAstronomer
2012-Aug-09, 09:20 PM
Who's going?

I'm so excited! CosmoQuest will have a booth with all the citizen science goodness and swag. And then there's the SpaceTrack and the ScienceTrack and the SkepTrack and the Podcasting Track and the pre-con STAR PARTY and I have to get all my costumes ready and GILLIAN ANDERSON is going to be there...

Can you tell I'm excited?

Let's hear it if you are going! Would love to meet up, talk space, hangout, etc.

- Nicole

KaiYeves
2012-Aug-09, 09:28 PM
I'd love to go, but I live far away! Any chance of CQ coming to Boston Comic-Con?

AtomicDog
2012-Aug-14, 05:44 AM
I'll be there! I'll be the balding black guy with the salt and pepper beard with the badge that says "Speaker To Animals."
See you there!

NoisyAstronomer
2012-Aug-15, 05:26 PM
Hooray! See you there, AtomicDog :-)

NoisyAstronomer
2012-Aug-15, 05:26 PM
Aww sadness. When is Boston CC, Kai?

KaiYeves
2012-Aug-15, 10:14 PM
Aww sadness. When is Boston CC, Kai?

According to their website (http://bostoncomiccon.com/), April 20-23rd.

Shigeru
2012-Aug-15, 10:21 PM
If only travel to USA was possible to me ;___;

ngc3314
2012-Aug-16, 02:53 AM
I'll be there! I'll be the balding black guy with the salt and pepper beard with the badge that says "Speaker To Animals."
See you there!

If you make it to one of the overnight Live Astro sessions, come up and introduce yourself! I am balding, but I often fall to peer pressure and host the events in an Einstein wig and lab coat.

geonuc
2012-Aug-16, 08:32 AM
I try to attend Dragon*Con every year and have six times so far.

NoisyAstronomer
2012-Aug-17, 08:01 PM
If you make it to one of the overnight Live Astro sessions, come up and introduce yourself! I am balding, but I often fall to peer pressure and host the events in an Einstein wig and lab coat.

That's in the SpaceTrack room?

NoisyAstronomer
2012-Aug-17, 08:01 PM
I try to attend Dragon*Con every year and have six times so far.

Yay! This will be my... third I think. I skipped one year for a friend's wedding. My friends are no longer allowed to get married on major Con weekends.

NoisyAstronomer
2012-Aug-17, 08:02 PM

So that's our booth, hopefully will be in the Hilton.

KaiYeves
2012-Aug-18, 07:04 PM
Woah, looks great!

ngc3314
2012-Aug-18, 09:31 PM
That's in the SpaceTrack room?

Yes, in the regular Space Track room in the Hilton. It's become a 5-year tradition by now. This will be my 10th Dragon-Con (!), 9th talking at least once.

For the remote Live Astro events, the audience there has very interesting target requests for imaging. One year, people wanted to examine central peaks of lunar craters, satellites of Uranus and Andromeda, and a gravitational lens. Last year, with telescope in different hemispheres on alternate nights, we got the supernova in M101, a hypervelocity star near the LMC, the globular cluster 47 Tucanae, several Seyfert galaxies, Jupiter, the Tarantula nebula, Comet Garradd, 3 planetary nebulae, and a galaxy with giant Galaxy Zoo ionized gas clouds. No guarantees on weather, of course, but when it works it's great (and attracts a great audience each year). I'll attach some pictures from last year.

Ignore anything I may mutter if the camera control computer in Chile has to be rebooted 4 times at the start of the night. This is normal.

ETA: this year the Moon is full, so we'll probably be loading up on nebulae through narrowband filters.

kmasterdo
2012-Aug-19, 01:44 PM
Great pictures, ngc3314! I wish I could be there.

geonuc
2012-Sep-03, 10:15 PM
Another successful Con, although I did not see many of those I normally do.

ngc3314
2012-Sep-04, 01:38 PM
DragonCon was a good chance to get this documentation of the CosmoQuest management caught all together: Pamela and Fraser and Phil. Oh, my!

This was shortly after Phil publicly said that I was a dork. Maybe I should never wash that ear again.

Swift
2012-Sep-04, 04:48 PM
DragonCon was a good chance to get this documentation of the CosmoQuest management caught all together: Pamela and Frazier and Phil. Oh, my!
Gosh, do you think we could ever get them all together on CQ? :p

geonuc
2012-Sep-04, 10:28 PM
DragonCon was a good chance to get this documentation of the CosmoQuest management caught all together: Pamela and Fraser and Phil. Oh, my!

This was shortly after Phil publicly said that I was a dork. Maybe I should never wash that ear again.
Those three would be among the group of people I normally see but didn't this time.