PDA

View Full Version : Folkin' around

starcanuck64
2012-Aug-11, 06:19 PM
My sister bought a four day pass to the Edmonton Folk Festival and saw her favorite performer Corb Lund on Thurdays evening. Then she decided to spend the weekend at home looking after her horse and dog leaving me with the tickets for the next three days.

Last night I got to see(and hear) Amos Garret, Martin Simpson, Oscar Lopez, and David Lindley in the Masters workshop which was really cool. Lindley has lost track of the number of instrument he plays, I think he had a dobro, an Oud, something that looked like and oversized Mandolin and few other instruments. The other three players stuck with acoustic and electric guitar, but they were great.

After that I went and caught a few songs at the main stage where Arlo Guthrie and his band were playing, but by the time I got there I was so far back that they looked like ants on the stage.:)

Today I think I'll spend some time listening to Kiran Ahluwalia, Martin Simpson, Linda Lopez and some Irish celtic trio. Ricky Scaggs will be on the main stage later so I might catch some of that.

Mavis Staples and Bonnie Raitt are playing the main event tomorrow night and that should be cool.

I'll be fully Folkized by Monday.:)

starcanuck64
2012-Aug-12, 08:09 PM
A peanut and almond cereal bar has laid me up today(I've got bad allergies) but yesterday was fun.

I got to see a bunch of performers including Ricky Scaggs who's great.

My favorite was the Mairtin O'connor Band from Ireland.

LookingSkyward
2012-Aug-13, 08:49 AM
Nice!

Cougar
2012-Aug-13, 12:58 PM
Sorry to hear you missed Bonnie Raitt. She's definitely the headliner of the group, I'd say, though she's not exactly a folkie. But then, I haven't even heard of most of the others. Except Arlo, of course.

Swift
2012-Aug-13, 01:38 PM
Glad you had fun, sorry about the allergies.

I guess I'm not the folky I used to be; I wasn't familar with most of those performers. I did see Bonnie Raitt in concert, maybe 10 years ago or so, and she was great. I have seen Arlo in concert a couple of times, the first was about 30 years ago at the Newport Folk Festival (also saw Joan Baez at that one) and then a couple of times back in the late 80s at various things.

The last folk (or at least folkish) concert I saw was a couple of years ago, with Judy Collins and Nanci Griffith. Years ago I was a huge Judy Collins fan and also saw her in concert a couple of times back in the 80s, but I actually think Nanci Griffith put on a better show that night.

Gillianren
2012-Aug-13, 03:38 PM
Sounds like fun!

starcanuck64
2012-Aug-13, 05:25 PM
It was a good time, I'm not a big fan of large crowds but it wasn't much of an issue here. People just wandered around from venue to venue usually with a smile.

I didn't use to be a fan of folk or roots music but my tastes have changed over the years, I even listen to some Jazz now and then now. Blues has always been a love of mine and a lot of the music seem to have roots in that, even with artists like Martin Simpson who was from Wales, he played some great slide guitar.

I've gotten into Mavis Staples in the last few years with songs like "Eyes on the Prize" and "Pops Recipe" and Bonnie Raitt is always good. They were both playing the main stage last night and not the smaller stages earlier in the day which I really prefered. You could get fairly close to the performers there and the audiences were much smaller too, usually a couple of hundred and it was easy to pick up and move to other stages to see a variety of performers. The main stage was on the largest slope and most of the area had been staked out by the time I caught the main show Friday with Arlo, I was so far back I couldn't even tell which one he was on stage, we watched the show on the big screens positioned around the venue. I probably didn't miss much with Bonnie and Mavis unless I was willing to claim a spot hours before the show started with the 20,000 or so other people.

I also got to say high to some people from CKUA Radio where I volunteered over the winter. They had a really intimate venue where you could stand a few feet away from some of the performers who were on later elsewhere, Emily Smith and her husband from Scotland were really nice to see there.