PDA

View Full Version : Join a Board of Directors

John Reed
2012-Aug-12, 05:07 AM
I've just had one of those "duh" moments where you realize something that's been right in front of you the whole time and wonder why you didn't see it. Or along the lines of "Be the Change" I wonder why I didn't think of this before. Looking into non-profits and how they work, I just found out it is apparently not that hard to join their Board of Directors (http://www.rosettathurman.com/2009/04/from-entry-level-to-leadership-how-to-join-a-nonprofit-board-of-directors/). I don't know why, but for some silly reason I didn't think it was something *I* could do. I've never been exposed to that, never had someone tell me I could, never occurred to me.

Duh! So why not join a non-profit for space stuff? Let's go do it folks! I just wrote to one in my area, see what they think.

Anyone have any experience with this? Thoughts or ideas?

John

John Jaksich
2012-Aug-12, 03:41 PM
I've just had one of those "duh" moments where you realize something that's been right in front of you the whole time and wonder why you didn't see it. Or along the lines of "Be the Change" I wonder why I didn't think of this before. Looking into non-profits and how they work, I just found out it is apparently not that hard to join their Board of Directors (http://www.rosettathurman.com/2009/04/from-entry-level-to-leadership-how-to-join-a-nonprofit-board-of-directors/). I don't know why, but for some silly reason I didn't think it was something *I* could do. I've never been exposed to that, never had someone tell me I could, never occurred to me.

Duh! So why not join a non-profit for space stuff? Let's go do it folks! I just wrote to one in my area, see what they think.

Anyone have any experience with this? Thoughts or ideas?

John

The Sacramento Valley Astronomical Society--for instance holds yearly elections for various positions--from President to a position on the Board of Directors. They also have access to a public observatory--at which there is a "Star-B-Cue" every August. This year, they have at least 7 to 8 sponsors and these sponsors donate items that will be "raffled" --to generate more capital for the organization. Other notable things: there are monthly speakers, public outreach at the grade-school level, viewing events at the recent Venus-transit and solar eclipse, a newsletter, and a calendar.

This is probably just one of the more easy ways to promote astronomy and technology for public consumption. Other ways may include starting your own "public" outreach non-profit---which may require more planning -----I don't believe anyone would want to re-create the wheel in this case.

schlaugh
2012-Aug-12, 06:01 PM
I'm on one board now and was on two last year; one was our community HOA, which doesn't count, but the other is a state-wide fisheries and cold water conservation group. And it's often fun (although message board moderation duties go with the job) because we get to do fund raising and then give the money to worthy causes. We stay below certain IRS thresholds to minimize paperwork but we still manage to collect and give out thousands and thousands of dollars each year. I had to be nominated by someone on the existing board but I could have just as easily asked "how do you become a board member?" and that might have worked. We enjoy a healthy and voluntary turnover that keeps fresh thinking on the board.

Once I retire I hope to become involved with other organizations, some related to education but science would be good as well.