PDA

View Full Version : The olympics were very good this year. weren't they?

potoole
2012-Aug-13, 03:46 AM
I believe the British did a great job.
For some reason, I really enjoyed the games this time.
Yay GB. :)
PO'T

potoole
2012-Aug-13, 03:55 AM
OOps , I made another mistake. I never know if messages are being posted, or what.

Torsten
2012-Aug-13, 05:57 AM
I managed to watch a few events on TV and I always find them, regardless of the sport, inspiring.

I really enjoyed the closing ceremonies. I had a great laugh and sang and whistled along with Eric Idle, and was happy to see Brian May perform, and that's just to mention a couple. Imagine being one of the athletes on the stadium floor!

Scriitor
2012-Aug-13, 06:26 AM
Yeah I really enjoyed these games too. Maybe for the first time since the '92 Barcelona games. I hadn't expected to. I didn't even watch the opening ceremonies.

And count me as another who laughed along with Eric Idle's performance.

captain swoop
2012-Aug-13, 08:49 AM
I liked The Muse, thoughtthey were good as usual and Kaiser Chiefs were good. What an entrance!

peteshimmon
2012-Aug-13, 09:12 AM
Good in parts. One ancient pop guy had
me swearing and changing channel but
othewise everyone being cheerful has
been great.

slang
2012-Aug-13, 10:27 AM
Yeah, I really enjoyed these games. Some excellent performances, and even some of our own competitors did great. Normally I'm not one to enjoy gymnastics, but what Epke Zonderland did on the horizontal bar had me speechless. Bolt in a class of his own.. Phelps once again being superman.. Anky van Grunsven winning a medal again in dressage on her 7th (seventh!) Olympics... Chris Hoy living up to expectations and hope.. Yes, some memorable moments indeed.

Oh yes, and it was great to see an astronomer tear down the Olympic Stadium with his guitar :)

Jim
2012-Aug-13, 12:02 PM
Even Mykala Maroney was impressed.

Some of the events were very entertaining. NBC did an adequate job. London/GB did a great job. (How'd they manage the weather?) And who else would you get to perform Imagine?

redshifter
2012-Aug-13, 06:42 PM
Just some minor gripes on my part: Too much diving on NBC prime time IMO. And they left out a lot in the closing ceremonies if they were 'really' trying to do a musical tribute. Overall pretty impressive though.

Noclevername
2012-Aug-13, 07:33 PM
I don't usually even watch the Olympics, but this year I watched some and was impressed with what I saw. The atheletes really put in an all-out effort in every sport and event.

mutleyeng
2012-Aug-13, 08:00 PM
I watched the opening ceremony, and i may yet watch the close - but seen nothing in between.
I am genuinely pleased that most observers seem to think Britain did a pretty good job - and Im pleased for Boris, cos as barmy as he is, its difficult not to have a soft spot for the old fella

Parrothead
2012-Aug-13, 11:25 PM
Certainly looked like all went smoothly during the Games. Great job done by all involved in London.

The broadcast consortium that held the rights here in Canada did an outstanding job. Four stations carrying various events live from 4:30 am - 5pm EDT, daily, plus online streaming. Highlight shows in the evenings on most of those same 4 stations. Hopefully, the song "I Believe" will now be retired, by CTV.

Enjoyed the Closing Ceremonies, personally would have liked to have seen some footage of the Specials, New Order and Blur concert in Hyde Park somehow get incorporated into the event, but can't get everything.

pzkpfw
2012-Aug-13, 11:36 PM
The IOC is awarding one more gold medal.

Apparently some guy muted Posh Spice's microphone.

Noclevername
2012-Aug-13, 11:39 PM

At this point haven't they all earned the title Scary Spice?

Ara Pacis
2012-Aug-13, 11:46 PM
The Olympics were great right up until 6 minutes before the end. Then NBC pre-empted The Who with some really stupid TV show about a pet hospital and a bunch of fictional dorks who work there. I hope the whole place burns down and Bob Newhart wakes up and tells us it was just a dream.

Trebuchet
2012-Aug-14, 12:27 AM
The Olympics were great right up until 6 minutes before the end. Then NBC pre-empted The Who with some really stupid TV show about a pet hospital and a bunch of fictional dorks who work there. I hope the whole place burns down and Bob Newhart wakes up and tells us it was just a dream.

More like an hour preemption for us. They were going to go ahead and show the rest at midnight. Too late for me! And we'd already seen enough of the endless promos for the sorry excuse for a show to know we wouldn't be watching it regardless.

Jim's evaluation of NBC doing "an adequate job" requires a qualifier: an adequate job for a major American network.

potoole
2012-Aug-14, 01:10 AM

Pet hospital soap opera. "The Young and their Pets." "Days of our Pet's Lives."

HenrikOlsen
2012-Aug-14, 07:05 AM
From what I hear, the main Danish transmission simply did it without interruptions and without commentators.
That "no commentators" deserves a medal in itself, if true. (I have watched a total of 10 minutes of TV the last 2 weeks so I have no idea if it's really true)

primummobile
2012-Aug-14, 07:15 PM
I liked the games themselves. But the made up drama in online print media was very distracting. I suppose it will be even worse in 2016.

ToSeek
2012-Aug-14, 09:14 PM
I thought the Olympics themselves were well done. I have issues with the way NBC covered it with all the delays and commercial interruptions. They even had commercials during the run of play of some of the soccer matches.

Noclevername
2012-Aug-14, 09:39 PM
They even had commercials during the run of play of some of the soccer matches.

That would cause riots in some countries.

KaiYeves
2012-Aug-14, 09:44 PM
I enjoyed them a lot!

Jim
2012-Aug-15, 02:12 AM

Hey, I like Posh! The LA Galaxy played in Houston a month or so ago and I had tickets. I took my daughter 'cause she wanted to see Beckham. I was hoping Posh would be there.

I thought the Olympics themselves were well done. I have issues with the way NBC covered it with all the delays and commercial interruptions. They even had commercials during the run of play of some of the soccer matches.

I didn't watch every match, but I don't recall any commercial interruptions in the ones I did watch.

AGN Fuel
2012-Aug-15, 02:55 AM
I thought they were excellent (although our local broadcaster left a great deal to be desired - and I am actively refusing to watch any of the multitude of upcoming programmes that they advertised in protest to them subjecting their viewers to a near constant stream of promotions for them).

England looked beautiful (the marathon through London could be repackaged as a tourist guide without editing!), the people looked like they were truly enjoying themselves and the athletes were, as always, awe-inspiring.

But the highlight for me was that they did not get so caught up in their own self-importance that they didn't take the opportunity to have a good chuckle. Honestly, how many other nations would have a closing ceremony with 80,000 people singing "Always look on the bright side of life"! Pure genius.

ToSeek
2012-Aug-15, 03:07 PM
Hey, I like Posh! The LA Galaxy played in Houston a month or so ago and I had tickets. I took my daughter 'cause she wanted to see Beckham. I was hoping Posh would be there.

I didn't watch every match, but I don't recall any commercial interruptions in the ones I did watch.

I mostly watched the women's soccer matches, and all of the non-US group-stage ones had commercials during the run of play. Fortunately, neither the US matches nor the elimination matches had any.