PDA

View Full Version : Oh NO!! those UFO:S again!!!!

Muchansclon/Planet 10?
2004-Oct-15, 11:20 AM
This just in from channel 7 in Chile(TVN Chile):

An ufo sighting was reported by a reporter, working for "El mercurio de Valparaiso" www.emol.com. If this where an UFO, it would mean that a 20+ wave of ufo sightings in central Chile, eventually might lead to a mass UFO sighting in SANTIAGO,CHILE before 31st of december 2005!

Phil, what ever you do, dont send this to the "Planet X" forum, please....

:cry:

hedin
2004-Oct-15, 12:02 PM
I do believe in ET intelligence and ufo´s but like religion i can´t prove what I believe, so its only belief :) I would love to live to see the day that we are contacted

ToSeek
2004-Oct-15, 01:42 PM
The question is poorly phrased: of course there are flying objects that are unidentified. However, there's no evidence that any of these are alien spacecraft.

Ut
2004-Oct-15, 01:51 PM
Hrmm. Two of these, eh?

I still want to know what the new year, or the end of the new year, have to do with anything.

Normandy6644
2004-Oct-15, 02:28 PM
Hrmm. Two of these, eh?

I still want to know what the new year, or the end of the new year, have to do with anything.

Arbitrary time interval apparently.

Evan
2004-Oct-15, 03:42 PM
I prefer the term UAP, "Unidentified Aerial Phenomenon". I have been looking at the sky since I was a child. I used to sleep out in the cornfield on a cot all summer to keep the deer out of the corn. I would fall to sleep every night staring at the sky. I have been doing astronomy since then. I have never seen anything I couldn't identify.

What group of people report the fewest UFOs? You guessed it, astronomers.

Ut
2004-Oct-15, 03:43 PM
I'd assume meteorologists would be pretty high on that no-report list, too.

But of course, those of us with "vested interested" in our knowledge of the sky would never admit to not knowing what something up there was...right?

N C More
2004-Oct-15, 03:47 PM
Ok, I think that there are certainly UFOs (unidentified flying objects) but this does not mean that these objects have to be alien space craft. In the "UFOs over Mexico" thread there was certainly something there but what that something is can't be definitively identified at this point in time.

So, I vote yes, there are UFOs but no, there's no proof that UFOs are alien space craft!

Evan
2004-Oct-15, 03:50 PM
Yes, I suspect meterologists are high on the list. I recall someone doing a study some time ago to measure how "sky aware" people are. They stationed students at the exits of a large shopping mall and watched people as they left the mall. They recorded how many people looked up at the sky as soon as they could upon leaving. IIRC, it was less than ten percent. It's no wonder we have so many UFO reports.

Check out this site, Sky Awareness Week is April 24-30, 2005.

http://www.weatherworks.com/skyawareness.week.html

Robert Andersson
2004-Oct-15, 07:22 PM
The question is poorly phrased: of course there are flying objects that are unidentified. However, there's no evidence that any of these are alien spacecraft.
If there was evidence, it wouldn't be unidentified, would it? :wink:

The term "UFO" (in the woo woo sense) is pretty self-contradictory.

Wolverine
2004-Oct-15, 08:26 PM
In the "UFOs over Mexico" thread there was certainly something there but what that something is can't be definitively identified at this point in time.

So, I vote yes, there are UFOs but no, there's no proof that UFOs are alien space craft!

Ah, I remember that thread being the source of much speculation and a banishment or two. :lol:.

However, I'm surprised nobody's posted this analysis (http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic07-24-04.html#1) in regard to the Campeche thing. The data seems to add up quite nicely, and perhaps to the disappointment of many, the explanation offered is quite mundane.

Regarding the OP -- all I've ever seen are IFOs. If there's anything outer-wordly navigating through our atmosphere, it sure doesn't like me. :(

Personally, I prefer to arrive at my conclusions via thorough examination of evidence, making "belief" unnecessary. At present, there is simply no empirical evidence demonstrating the existence of extraterrestrial life, let alone any visiting this planet via groovy high-performance spacecraft.

Wolverine
2004-Oct-15, 08:30 PM
The term "UFO" (in the woo woo sense) is pretty self-contradictory.

Ironic, innit? :)

crateris
2004-Oct-15, 09:01 PM
Do I believe in aliens? Yes. Do I believe in UFOs? Not as vehicles of aliens visiting the earth.

I believe that universe and our own galaxy is teeming with life. However, I also believe that the vast distances between inhabited worlds preclude the practical possiblity of interaction between galactic species.

So yes and no. I do believe that UFOs exist. They are just objects that haven't been identified by the observer. A satellite would be just that to an amateur astronomer, whereas to someone else, it may be "unidentified".

C.

Meteora
2004-Oct-16, 01:58 PM
I'd assume meteorologists would be pretty high on that no-report list, too.

Well, at least we're a LOT less likely to report a weather balloon as a UFO!!! :D

Come to think of it, I don't recall any other met's claiming to have seen a UFO.

One morning, long ago, when I was a young weather observer near St. Louis, Missouri, I saw a red light that appeared to extend from the ground to the sky. When I inquired of older coworkers what it might be (never implying that it was anything extraterrestrial or supernatural), they seemed to think I was crazed or something... until someone else mentioned it, too. I think I finally determined, years later, that it was an unusually bright and southerly aurora borealis.

beskeptical
2004-Oct-17, 06:04 AM
The question is poorly phrased: of course there are flying objects that are unidentified. However, there's no evidence that any of these are alien spacecraft.Ditto, and having no evidence of alien visitors doesn't rule out aliens.

R.A.F.
2004-Oct-17, 12:49 PM
Hrmm. Two of these, eh?

Yeah, but this thread is different though...it's a poll. :lol:

As Ut stated in the "other" thread, this belongs in Against the Mainstream, NOT General Astronomy

Grand Vizier
2004-Oct-17, 01:02 PM
Of course there are UFOs. There's just no reason to prefer the ETH either as a general or specific explanation for them. And I'd like to point out that you loaded the poll a bit with that 'definitely something out there' bit. No problem, though. There definitely something out there - the whole rest of the Universe. :)

Ut
2004-Oct-17, 02:43 PM
Of course there's something out there.
Stars, dust, planets, gas...
We don't know of anything beyond that, so why bother discussing it. We may as well be debating the existance of God.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2004-Oct-17, 07:52 PM
Of course there's something out there.
Stars, dust, planets, gas...
We don't know of anything beyond that, so why bother discussing it. We may as well be debating the existance of God.

Hmmm ...

Now that you Mention it ...

Let's ...

Evan
2004-Oct-17, 07:57 PM
...not.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2004-Oct-18, 12:23 AM
...not.

Yeah

Probably a Good Idea ...