PDA

View Full Version : Another disaster movie

dgruss23
2004-Oct-15, 08:12 PM
I saw a preview for the latest ridiculous disaster movie. Apparently CBS intends to air some mini-series titled "Category 6" on Nov 14. I'd dare say the only disaster will be that the movie was made! Flashbacks to 10.5 anyone?

Laser Jock
2004-Oct-15, 08:23 PM
I saw a preview for the latest ridiculous disaster movie. Apparently CBS intends to air some mini-series titled "Category 6" on Nov 14. I'd dare say the only disaster will be that the movie was made! Flashbacks to 10.5 anyone?

Catagory 6. That sounds like a hurricane disaster movie. Has there ever been a hurricane disaster movie? With the recent Florida troubles, it doesn't surprise me that one would be coming soon.

Swift
2004-Oct-15, 08:31 PM
NBC will counter with "The Year of the Huricane", a science fiction story where four huricanes in one season hit the same Southeastern US state. Critics say the story is too unbelievable.
:^o 8-[

dgruss23
2004-Oct-15, 08:49 PM

Catagory 6. That sounds like a hurricane disaster movie. Has there ever been a hurricane disaster movie? With the recent Florida troubles, it doesn't surprise me that one would be coming soon.

It appears (http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/WinnipegSun/Spotlight/2004/10/13/666973.html) that the name of the movie doesn't even match up with the content ... but I guess we'll see.

Actually - won't see if we're smart about it!

Dark Helmet
2004-Oct-18, 05:13 AM
I'm going to take a gander, and say that this won't be as bad as the eventual "F6" TV Disaster Movie.

Humphrey
2004-Oct-18, 03:51 PM
On saturday Sci-Fi channel had a entire day of Diaster mvoies. One about a giant sunspot causing the northern hemisphere to freaze. The other, the sun causing the earth to get too hot.

sigh... :roll:

The Supreme Canuck
2004-Oct-18, 08:10 PM
Well, the sunspot could cause communications disruptions that... uh... I've got nothing.

Maha Vailo
2004-Oct-19, 12:38 PM
NBC will counter with "The Year of the Huricane", a science fiction story where four huricanes in one season hit the same Southeastern US state. Critics say the story is too unbelievable.

Very funny, Swift, very funny. I had to survive 2 of those myself. [-X

Anyhoo, there's probably a limit as to how large and intense hurricanes can get, but I don't know exactly how large that would be.

As for giant sunspots, wouldn't they cause the Earth to get warmer, not colder? IIRC, the Little Ice Age was caused by a lack of sunspots. After that, I don't know what else large sunspots would cause (solar flares, perhaps)?

The sun will cause the Earth to get too hot, but fear not: it won't be for another few billion years.

- Maha "an ill wind's a-blowing at the BABB" Vailo

gethen
2004-Oct-19, 01:32 PM
They're a bit late on this one. John Ford beat them to it in 1937 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/6305236496/qid=1098192575/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/103-2781460-0625400?v=glance&s=dvd) and as I recall, the storm sequence was pretty darn good for a time without CGI and the like.

BlueAnodizeAl
2004-Oct-19, 02:10 PM

Very funny, Swift, very funny. I had to survive 2 of those myself. [-X

Only two! I got Bonnie (1 little squal from a band, knocked out power), Charlie, Frances, that "remants of Ivan" thing and Jeanne. 5 beat that.

Swift
2004-Oct-19, 04:04 PM
Hey sorry Maha Vailo and all our other Florida BABBers. I wasn't making fun of you guys. But it does seem kind of stupid for NBC to make a huricane movie; I have a feeling a lot of people in Florida, the Southeast, and flooded areas up the East coast won't find it very entertaining.

Mokele Mbembe
2004-Oct-20, 05:32 AM
Well, the sunspot could cause communications disruptions that... uh... I've got nothing.

A communications disruption can mean only one thing... Invasion.