PDA

View Full Version : It's that time of year again!

Trebuchet
2012-Aug-26, 12:45 AM
It's a little early for this, but I'm depressed by the death of Neil Armstrong so I'll try to think about something happier: hurling pumpkins!

Three weeks from today is the first day of the Snohomish Pumpkin Hurl (http://www.festivalofpumpkins.org/the-pumpkin-hurl.asp). That would be September 15 if you're looking at the calendar. Ten pound pumpkins may fly as far as 1500 feet, depending on who shows up. I'll just be tossing little ones, in the "Lite" division, but hey, I get into the pits. You can too, just volunteer to be on my team. Send me a PM and I can get you in. My machine is designed to be operable by one person (me) so there's not a lot of work involved. If you'd rather just spectate, I'll be the little orange/black one probably nearest the crowd line. If you're anywhere near the Olympia, Tacoma, Bremerton, Everett, Bellingham areas, give it a thought. There's even an associated Medieval Faire! Hmm, seems like I know someone who likes those!

Or if you're busy, the Burlington Pumpkin Pitch (http://www.burlington-chamber.com/events/harvest-festival/) is just two weeks later. A better event, as far as the hurling goes, and has no admission charge but lacks the Faire.

Swift
2012-Aug-26, 01:21 AM
Have fun tossing your pumpkins.

Buttercup
2012-Aug-26, 03:20 AM
I'm going to report you to the police for cruelty to pumpkins! >:-p

danscope
2012-Aug-26, 05:13 AM
Happy Hurling Trebuchet!!! Pumpkins build character.

Dan

Trebuchet
2012-Aug-26, 05:14 AM
Haven't heard one complain yet!

Gillianren
2012-Aug-26, 05:29 PM
We actually talked to my boss about the prospect of having a "franchise" at one of your events. I think he has plans, but a couple of us can take a smaller version of the setup and sell. And, after you left, I found the pin I'd meant to give you. It says, "Siege Engineer: Everything Is Launchable Once."

Trebuchet
2012-Aug-26, 05:45 PM
OOH! I've got to have that! Please come up, franchise or no.

If you do want to sell at Snohomish, you'll need to contact the organizer right away. Her contact info is on the web page linked above.

Tobin Dax
2012-Aug-26, 09:28 PM
Have fun! The timing is such that I likely won't ever be out there for one of these events. But as an Oregonian, I've got to say that I wholeheartedly support your color choice. :)

If you'd rather just spectate, I'll be the little orange/black one probably nearest the crowd line.

Gillianren
2012-Aug-26, 09:36 PM
OOH! I've got to have that! Please come up, franchise or no.

If you do want to sell at Snohomish, you'll need to contact the organizer right away. Her contact info is on the web page linked above.

I'm not sure anything ever got settled with that. However, Heather is supposed to take me grocery shopping today, so I'll see if we can fit one or the other of the events onto their schedule to just go. They, after all, have a working vehicle.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Aug-26, 09:51 PM
We actually talked to my boss about the prospect of having a "franchise" at one of your events. I think he has plans, but a couple of us can take a smaller version of the setup and sell. And, after you left, I found the pin I'd meant to give you. It says, "Siege Engineer: Everything Is Launchable Once."
I think someone's been reading Schlock Mercenary, it's suspiciously close to Maxim 11 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schlock_Mercenary#The_Seventy_Maxims_of_Maximally_ Effective_Mercenaries): "Everything is air-droppable at least once."

Gillianren
2012-Aug-26, 11:01 PM
Entirely possible. He sells these little pewter pins with sayings on them, and I don't know where half the sayings came from. (A lot are from T-shirts or bumper stickers that people saw and liked; many are pop culture references.)

Solfe
2012-Aug-27, 02:16 AM
I love watching flying pumpkins, but it always makes me think of The Amazing Race video where a woman fails (epically) to fire a watermelon from a slingshot.

Youtube (http://youtu.be/-OZjHjJToVo) link.

Standard Youtube warning: I am not responsible for brain damage resulting from reading the comments.
Non-Standard Youtube warning: This video ranges from too funny to too horrible; it may cause you to laugh, cry or soil yourself, possibly all at the same time.

Trebuchet
2012-Aug-27, 02:36 AM
That looked painful. The first rule of trebuchets is that it's not a good idea to stand directly behind them. In front is bad, behind is worse. Fortunately, most backward shots are pop-ups but the line drives can be nasty.

nosbig5
2012-Aug-29, 07:42 PM
Earlier this spring I emptied my compost bin, making a pile in the corner of my veggie garden as I do every year. A few weeks later, a volunteer pumpkin plant came shooting up and attempted to annex the garden. I let it grow out into the yard, and just last week plucked a perfectly round orange pumpkin ~8-10 pounds (vine was broken, had no choice). Unfortunately, there's no way it's going to make it all the way to halloween.

I would be honored to donate this prize pumpkin to your event! You may pick it up in Pennsylvania, any weeknight between 6:00pm and 10:00pm.

Swift
2012-Aug-29, 08:45 PM
That looked painful. The first rule of trebuchets is that it's not a good idea to stand directly behind them. In front is bad, behind is worse.
Gosh, and I always wanted to be a "receiver" at one of these events. ;)

I would be honored to donate this prize pumpkin to your event! You may pick it up in Pennsylvania, any weeknight between 6:00pm and 10:00pm.
Well, if you built a big enough trebuchet you could just launch it from Pennsylvania to Oregon. Let us know the date, so I can hide in the basement. :D

DoggerDan
2012-Aug-29, 09:37 PM
I love watching flying pumpkins, but it always makes me think of The Amazing Race video where a woman fails (epically) to fire a watermelon from a slingshot.

Wow! I'll bet she was blowing watermelon seeds from her nasal cavities for weeks!

On a more serious note, continuing with a massive headache was a very bad idea. Concussions can heal, but successive concussions can lead to permanent brain damage.

Enjoy the pumpkin toss, Trebuchet! Better than tossing your cookies.

Tobin Dax
2012-Aug-29, 10:05 PM
Well, if you built a big enough trebuchet you could just launch it from Pennsylvania to Oregon. Let us know the date, so I can hide in the basement. :D

Let mike alexander know, too, so he can take the pumpkin up to Washington and deliver it to Treb.

Swift
2012-Aug-30, 01:51 AM
Let mike alexander know, too, so he can take the pumpkin up to Washington and deliver it to Treb.
:doh:

Tobin Dax
2012-Aug-31, 03:30 AM
:doh:

I did mention Oregon above, though. Sorry if I put that into your head, Swift.

Swift
2012-Aug-31, 01:02 PM
I did mention Oregon above, though. Sorry if I put that into your head, Swift.
Oh don't worry, there is nothing in my head.

Wait, that didn't come out right... ;)

The Backroad Astronomer
2012-Aug-31, 01:15 PM
Good luck hurling pumpkins, at least you don't hurl cookies.

Trebuchet
2012-Sep-14, 01:08 AM
Bump! The Snohomish event is coming up Saturday! If you're in the area and have the time, drop by. I'm the orange/black machine in the "lite" division called "Mixed Nuts, Jr." Because "Senior" is now propping up the wall of someone's shed.

And if not, Burlington is just two weeks further out.

Trebuchet
2012-Sep-17, 03:18 AM
Man, I'm tired! I've really got to have a crew for this one next year. When I get tired and try to keep hurling, I make mistakes--like taking the safeties off preparatory to launch then realizing I've not loaded a pumpkin and doing so with resetting the safeties! Someone needs to whack me over the hard-hat when I do stuff like that.

Trebuchet
2012-Sep-19, 04:14 PM
At the risk of boring everyone here to tears, I've uploaded some videos to YouTube:
My Treb Launching (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik0tptRd4OU)
An Air Cannon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSwnfZCL33k)
A Traction Trebuchet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phD39aUI2iU)
Jousting! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC7rhOYfg3k)

Tobin Dax
2012-Sep-22, 01:22 AM
Those are cool videos, but I feel less special now that I've found that you posted them for Dana Hunter's blog and not us. :)

Trebuchet
2012-Sep-22, 04:51 AM
I posted them for both! And for the Catapult Message Board as well! I had to post them for Dana, she came and pulled the trigger.

Trebuchet
2012-Sep-27, 03:27 AM
Bump! Burlington Pumpkin Pitch (http://www.burlington-chamber.com/events/harvest-festival/) coming up on Saturday. Come on out, if you're in the Puget Regions.

One of these days I'll get Gillian to attend. I've been to her Faire, it's only fair. Looking Skyward is planning to be there.

danscope
2012-Sep-27, 03:47 AM
Happy Pumpkin pitching, Trebuchet :)

Gillianren
2012-Sep-27, 04:09 AM
I'm blaming Graham's brother. It's only partially his fault, but I'm blaming him anyway.

LookingSkyward
2012-Sep-27, 10:24 AM
I'll be there, barring disaster, <maxwell smart voice> And Loving it!

Trebuchet
2012-Sep-30, 12:09 AM
Final Update: I won! At least, we got first in the "Lite" division. My best official throw was actually 100 feet longer than at Snohomish, which was already a personal best. Looking Skyward, sorry you didn't make it for the hurling but thanks a bunch for the help in the teardown. The weather, by the way, was very good after a little sprinkling of rain in the AM. It would have been perfect if not for the breeze during the distance competition which probably cost me 50 feet of range.