PDA

View Full Version : The redemption of Damian Kindler

Glom
2004-Oct-16, 02:20 PM
Damian Kindler has all the creativity of a parsnip as demonstrated in episodes such as 'Space Race', 'Forsaken', 'Chimera' and 'Grace'. That is why when I heard about 'Avatar', an episode that would regurgitate the done to death premise of getting stuck in virtual reality (yawnarama!). I didn't actually know that he'd written it until after I saw the episode, but the unoriginality of the premise didn't exactly make it a shock to learn who was behind it.

However, what did surprise me about learning Kindler wrote 'Avatar' was that the episode was actually very, very good. Kindler hasn't written a good episode since early season six. While the premise was old of course, it was actually well written, acted and directed. I actually found it kind of interesting to see what twists the game would pull to prevent Teal'c from winning. I was also good to find out that they have learnt things from the second season episode 'The Gamekeeper'.

The only question I have to wonder is why they didn't leave the base to abort the game. Maybe Teal'c refused out of pride. I can see that. But when Daniel joined in, he should have led Teal'c out.

Still good though.

Lycus
2004-Oct-16, 08:13 PM
The only question I have to wonder is why they didn't leave the base to abort the game. Maybe Teal'c refused out of pride. I can see that. But when Daniel joined in, he should have led Teal'c out.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought there was a scene where Teal'c finally relented and tried to leave, but the game just reset him instead. I don't remember if they explained why, but I figured it had something to do with Teal'c unwittingly disabling the fail-safe to make the game for difficult.

I wondered though, couldn't they have programmed the simulation with an external fail-safe? Or make it so the game kicks you out everytime you "die" so that you have to consciously choose to be reset?

Anyway, it was pretty good. I especially liked the scene where Teal'c decided to just give up and let the warriors take the base.

Glom
2004-Oct-17, 10:55 AM
Yes. I must have missed it the first time. The second time round I saw the bit where Teal'c tried to escape but it reset. The idea was that the game learnt from Teal'c and that in real life he would never quit under any circumstances.