PDA

View Full Version : I can indeed wait 15 to 29 days.

Buttercup
2012-Aug-28, 02:47 PM
Ordered a pretty jeweled owl necklace via a Chinese maker/distributer. It costs $6.95.

Shipping and handling for 5 to 7 days would have totaled nearly $27.

But I can get it for ONLY $6.95 if I opt for "Free China Air Delivery" -- which means waiting upwards a month.

I can wait. :p

primummobile
2012-Aug-28, 02:52 PM
Not exactly the same thing, but I recently tried to order a new reflector for the panel over the license tag on my motorcycle. The reflector itself cost $10, but they wanted $20 to ship it. I opted to not wait or to even purchase it.

I am curious, though. How could they ship it from China and still make a profit and only charge you $6.95?

LookingSkyward
2012-Aug-28, 02:55 PM
the $6.95 is only for the delivery of the free air... the merchandise costs extra :>

Buttercup
2012-Aug-28, 03:09 PM
I am curious, though. How could they ship it from China and still make a profit and only charge you $6.95?

Yes, I wondered that too. But it is an option, and I've received confirmation of the order including price of $6.95. Also notice given that earliest shipping possibility will be in 15 days.

Also, two months ago I ordered a book from a seller in the US. The going price for the book was $3.00, with free S & H. It cost them $3.50 to send it ... so I sure had to wonder how they turned a profit! They didn't. :confused:

NEOWatcher
2012-Aug-28, 03:15 PM
It probably has something to do with throwing it in with another set of shipments.
If they can wait to throw it in a container where the other products already pay for the shipping then it probably doesn't matter.

It's almost like flying standby, when a seat opens up, then you can get on board. It's a cheaper ticket with the trade-off of time.

Fazor
2012-Aug-28, 05:19 PM
I ordered a laptop from Dell once (years and years ago.) I was in a particularly impatient mood -- I really wanted a new laptop. So I went ahead and paid like $40-50 for 2-3 day air shipping.

Two weeks later, I hadn't rc'd my computer yet. I call up and they said "Oh yes, it'll ship in 2-3 days once it's built. It takes about three weeks to build."

If I had known that I'd have to wait three weeks anyway, I would have gone with the standard 6-8 day delivery. What's another week after waiting three? I wasn't too happy that they hadn't mentioned that up front. Then again, it was a very good lesson. I went on to be unhappy with the way Dell does everything for years. Now I just don't buy from them. :-P

Buttercup
2012-Aug-28, 05:41 PM
I ordered a laptop from Dell once (years and years ago.) I was in a particularly impatient mood -- I really wanted a new laptop. So I went ahead and paid like $40-50 for 2-3 day air shipping.

Two weeks later, I hadn't rc'd my computer yet. I call up and they said "Oh yes, it'll ship in 2-3 days once it's built. It takes about three weeks to build."

If I had known that I'd have to wait three weeks anyway, I would have gone with the standard 6-8 day delivery. What's another week after waiting three?...

Good grief! :doh: Yeah, that would have fried me as well.

cjl
2012-Aug-28, 10:02 PM

If I had known that I'd have to wait three weeks anyway, I would have gone with the standard 6-8 day delivery. What's another week after waiting three? I wasn't too happy that they hadn't mentioned that up front. Then again, it was a very good lesson. I went on to be unhappy with the way Dell does everything for years. Now I just don't buy from them. :-P

That's pretty standard with a custom laptop - it takes a week or two to assemble the components, test them, install the operating system, and package everything, so with any manufacturer, you can't get the computer faster than about 1.5-2 weeks, even if you get the overnight shipping.

PetersCreek
2012-Aug-28, 10:32 PM
In terms of shipping, living in Alaska is almost like living in a foreign country. Some vendors only offer shipping via FedEx 2-day (or faster) which can be double (or sometimes triple) the cost of modestly priced items. I'm happiest with US Postal Service Priority Mail. It's usually only a day or two slower than the FedEx 2-day option...which actually isn't guarateed for 2-day delivery up here.

Fazor
2012-Aug-28, 11:11 PM
That's pretty standard with a custom laptop - it takes a week or two to assemble the components, test them, install the operating system, and package everything, so with any manufacturer, you can't get the computer faster than about 1.5-2 weeks, even if you get the overnight shipping.

Sure, I know that now. But not back in 2001. Regardless, they never mentioned the building period until after the order was placed and the shipping selected. That's what annoyed me.

KaiYeves
2012-Aug-29, 12:03 AM
the $6.95 is only for the delivery of the free air... the merchandise costs extra :>

If the air costs $6.95, it isn't free!

Buttercup
2012-Aug-30, 06:43 PM
Got notice this morning that it's been shipped.

Of course, how long will it actually take from China to here?

It's a very cute owl pendant, with multicolored "jewels." Looking foward to wearing it. Lately have a hankering for owls, including having made a handbag. ^_^

http://tinyurl.com/9h7tkx7

Fazor
2012-Aug-30, 07:04 PM
Lately have a hankering for owls, including having made a handbag. ^_^

Tara has been the same way. We saw some owl throw pillows at the store the other day and she went bonkers for it. Then we noticed how much they cost.

Buttercup
2012-Aug-30, 07:49 PM
Tara has been the same way. We saw some owl throw pillows at the store the other day and she went bonkers for it.

:)

That reminds me...we've got a Pier 1 Imports in town. ^_^ Which I probably should avoid. Haven't been there since 2010.

Then we noticed how much they cost.

:( Yeah.

selden
2012-Aug-30, 07:50 PM
It's a nice looking pendant.

I assume you've read many of the fantasies which involve owls in one way or another. (Like The Owl Service by Alan Garner, made into a British TV series available on DVD.)

Buttercup
2012-Aug-30, 08:21 PM
It's a nice looking pendant.

Thanks.

I assume you've read many of the fantasies which involve owls in one way or another. (Like The Owl Service by Alan Garner, made into a British TV series available on DVD.)

No. :) Sounds interesting though.

I've always had an affinity for owls to some degree. Lately I've really taken to them.

primummobile
2012-Aug-30, 08:26 PM
I think owls are a little creepy. Probably comes from reading too much Stephen King.

Trebuchet
2012-Aug-30, 08:54 PM
You Obviously Like Owls (http://www.topatoco.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TO&Product_Code=QC-YOLO&Category_Code=QC).

Buttercup
2012-Aug-30, 09:26 PM
You Obviously Like Owls (http://www.topatoco.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TO&Product_Code=QC-YOLO&Category_Code=QC).

Cute. :)

Actually I was hoping to buy some "hippie owls," but it seems one particular seller is no longer in business.

Buttercup
2012-Aug-31, 07:45 PM
Since nobody bought me a gift when I became a member of the Order of Kilopi, here's a chance to redeem yourself and obtain my forgiveness:

http://tinyurl.com/8fwyobu

It's on sale for only $1,799. :)

Who would like to buy this for me? :)

Send me a private message if that's more convenient. :)

KaiYeves
2012-Sep-01, 12:02 AM
I think owls are a little creepy. Probably comes from reading too much Stephen King.

My friend who lives on a wooded property with a long driveway told me that one time, she was walking back to the house with her cat at night and an owl in the woods gave a call that sounded "like witches' cackling", which made her jump.

Ara Pacis
2012-Sep-07, 06:15 AM
Hey, buttercup, I like that first link with the big blue eyes. The last one looks like Ziggy Stardust or something. Sometimes less is more.

I think owls are supposed to represent wisdom and is why they're associated with Athena/Minerva. Makes me wonder how much a clockwork owl would cost.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Sep-07, 01:26 PM
I just waited 5 weeks for two 5-way gang valves for aquarium airlines.

In the shops some cruddy plastic thingies would have cost me $20 or more, these are chromed brass pretties I got for about $10 for 2 including postage.
I could only find a pic of the 4-way version, but you can still see it's not something to be ashamed of having visible. :)

HenrikOlsen
2012-Sep-13, 01:14 PM
Just started the wait for Pratchett's Dodger (http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/terry+pratchett/dodger+-+waterstones+exclusive+slipcased+limited+edition/9351797/).
Gillian, your copy has been shipped by standard surface mail, expect 12-24 days delivery.

Buttercup
2012-Sep-14, 03:10 PM
While I'm waiting for that owl pendant (via slow boat apparently), I purchased this yesterday at Pier 1:

http://tinyurl.com/9g3fstl

Hippie owl cookie jar. Too cute to pass up.

KaiYeves
2012-Sep-15, 01:58 AM
While I'm waiting for that owl pendant (via slow boat apparently), I purchased this yesterday at Pier 1:

http://tinyurl.com/9g3fstl

Hippie owl cookie jar. Too cute to pass up.
Very cute!

Fazor
2012-Sep-17, 01:25 PM
Well Buttercup, Tara got her owl pillows over the weekend.

Buttercup
2012-Sep-19, 06:56 PM
Fazor, I like the pillow. :) Thanks for including pic.

Apparently I've got the month-long wait.

In the meantime (checking out other owl items at Etsy), I found this:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/101575936/little-blue-hippie-owl-bank-with

Check out the reference to Rutger Hauer in Bladerunner. :lol: And the rest of it...lol!

Ara Pacis
2012-Sep-19, 09:39 PM
Check out the reference to Rutger Hauer in Bladerunner. :lol: And the rest of it...lol!

That alone might be worth the $10. I wonder if they've been reading the AS&S catalog (http://www.sciplus.com/).

Buttercup
2012-Sep-20, 09:24 PM

Or 3 of them -- and another type of pendant necklace besides. :o

I've just now received them (total of 4).

Better check my credit card statement; it's supposed to be $6.95 for 1 pendant necklace only.

Well, my sister and mother get the others. :)

If the others are freebies, yeah -- how are they making a profit? :eh:

Ara Pacis
2012-Sep-21, 04:14 AM
They're probably not. Others may purchase more and want it faster, so they make a profit on those customers, while losing money on you. Or it could be a scam where they send something extra to you and then charge you for it unless you want to ship it back, which would be a lot of money, which makes you decide to keep it.

SeanF
2012-Sep-21, 01:50 PM
They're probably not. Others may purchase more and want it faster, so they make a profit on those customers, while losing money on you. Or it could be a scam where they send something extra to you and then charge you for it unless you want to ship it back, which would be a lot of money, which makes you decide to keep it.
I'm pretty sure if they sent you something you didn't order, they can't make you pay the shipping to return it to them.

Ara Pacis
2012-Sep-21, 06:21 PM
I'm pretty sure if they sent you something you didn't order, they can't make you pay the shipping to return it to them.

Legally, perhaps not, but they still can ask and some people fall for it. Why do you think con jobs work?

NEOWatcher
2012-Nov-13, 07:06 PM
Just an another anecdote that fits this theme.

I ordered something on the 8th. Estimated arrival was the 25th. But; I could expedite the shipment for whatever extra money it was (can't remember) and have it arrive by the 23rd. (Of course, that would be a waste for just 2 days)

On the 9th, I got an email saying the order was being processed, and that I might not have a tracking number for another 24 to 48 hours.
The package was at my front door when I got home from work that day.

Ara Pacis
2012-Nov-14, 10:05 AM
BTW, everytime I see anything owl in a store, I wonder if I should tell you in case you want to order it.

swampyankee
2012-Nov-14, 01:29 PM
If the air costs $6.95, it isn't free!

No, no, no: the air is free. They're charging you $6.95 for the box it comes in.