PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Playoffs

Normandy6644
2004-Oct-17, 05:51 AM
I just realized we don't have a playoff thread!! Or if we do, I certainly missed it. Anyway, who's been watching? I certainly expect the Yankees to beat up on Boston so bad, and the Houston St. Louis series looks like it could be a classic provided that Houston's pitching can keep them in the game like Clemens did tonight. How I love October. :D

Ut
2004-Oct-17, 06:15 AM
I just saw the end of the YankSox game at the pub. That was one long game. Good to see that the curse holds strong :D

paulie jay
2004-Oct-17, 01:24 PM
As an Australian I'm not supposed to be into baseball, but I've played a few seasons and really enjoy it. Shame they don't show the playoffs over here :(

ToSeek
2004-Oct-17, 03:56 PM
I was hoping this was the year for the Red Sox (one of my best friends lives in Boston), but it doesn't seem to be happening. Last night's game was just ugly, and I missed most of it (and just as well).

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Oct-17, 04:01 PM
I was hoping this was the year for the Red Sox
This is the year for the Red Sox. Same as last year. :)

Normandy6644
2004-Oct-17, 04:57 PM
I was hoping this was the year for the Red Sox
This is the year for the Red Sox. Same as last year. :)

And next year. :D

Ut
2004-Oct-17, 04:58 PM
And forever and ever.

Maksutov
2004-Oct-17, 05:24 PM
Bambino without end, Amen.

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Oct-17, 05:28 PM
It ain't over yet though (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=184131#184131). Records are made to be broken.

Trebuchet
2004-Oct-17, 05:39 PM
As a suffering Seattle Mariners fan, I spend each October rooting for ABY -- Anybody but the Yankees. Having said that, you've got to admit they do what it takes to win. Doesn't hurt having the big-market bucks, of course.

And it's interesting to note that a guy who apparently wasn't considered good enough to play first base for the the 3rd worst team in baseball, is good enough to start for the best! I almost hope the Yanks win it all and get John Olerud the ring he'd never have gotten in Seattle.

Maksutov
2004-Oct-17, 05:48 PM
It ain't over yet though (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=184131#184131). Records are made to be broken.
Man, you must be making Criswell green with envy! Or is that just all the mold that's accumulated after all these years....?

Maksutov
2004-Oct-17, 05:59 PM
As a suffering Seattle Mariners fan, I spend each October rooting for ABY -- Anybody but the Yankees. Having said that, you've got to admit they do what it takes to win. Doesn't hurt having the big-market bucks, of course.

And it's interesting to note that a guy who apparently wasn't considered good enough to play first base for the the 3rd worst team in baseball, is good enough to start for the best! I almost hope the Yanks win it all and get John Olerud the ring he'd never have gotten in Seattle.

Players coming in from other teams excelling with the damn Yankees is a long tradition, especially if one of their former teams was Boston.

Case in point:

December 13, 1996: After failing to come to terms with (and rejecting a last minute offer from) the Boston Red Sox, pitching legend Roger Clemens -- who threw 38 shutouts during his Boston career -- signed as a free-agent with the Toronto Blue Jays.

Duquette, Dan

"The Duke" was considered a cold, calculating GM who alienated many colleagues and antagonized many of his employees, including players.

In 1996, he defended the teams' failure to re-sign Roger Clemens because the power pitcher was in "the twilight of his career." Clemens' record with the Blue Jays and Yankees over the next seven seasons was 118-49. During that span, Clemens won his fourth, fifth, and sixth Cy Young awards as well as two World Series rings. No other pitcher in the history of the game has more than four Cy Youngs. Clemens won his 100th game at Fenway Park on August 31, 2003; he was wearing Yankee pinstripes.

As we know Clemens didn't do much in 2004 either.

Detailed information on the long, sorry story can be found here (http://www.soxsuck.com/curse.html).

Master258
2004-Oct-17, 06:29 PM
twins lost first round and then my backup team, the red socks lost too
to the same team
i hate the yankees

Parrothead
2004-Oct-17, 06:39 PM

Uhmm, didn't Olerud win World Series rings with Toronto in 92 and 93?

Trebuchet
2004-Oct-18, 12:24 AM

Uhmm, didn't Olerud win World Series rings with Toronto in 92 and 93?

Oh, I expect you're right, I was completely forgetting his pre-Seattle career.

He still wouldn't have won one with the M's. :(

ToSeek
2004-Oct-18, 01:31 PM
Heck of a comeback by the Red Sox last night!

Normandy6644
2004-Oct-18, 01:41 PM
Heck of a comeback by the Red Sox last night!

Yeah it was. There were about 10 or so people (maybe a few more) watching in the lounge on our floor, all the way up until the end. Exciting stuff.

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Oct-18, 01:50 PM
Heck of a comeback by the Red Sox last night!\
My daughter and I were discussing the game stats this morning and I came to the conclusion that--even though the last two games have averaged about five hours long--the sox have only led the game a total of 30 minutes, over all four games.

ToSeek
2004-Oct-18, 01:56 PM
Heck of a comeback by the Red Sox last night!\
My daughter and I were discussing the game stats this morning and I came to the conclusion that--even though the last two games have averaged about five hours long--the sox have only led the game a total of 30 minutes, over all four games.

They said during the game last night that a Yankees pitcher has never taken the mound with the Yankees trailing during this entire series.

iFire
2004-Oct-18, 02:06 PM
I hope the Cardinals don't bail on me now....

Ut
2004-Oct-18, 02:13 PM
Whoever wins the NLCS had better be able to take down the Yankees. That's all I can really say about that.

tlbs101
2004-Oct-18, 11:12 PM
I'm with Trebuchet; ABY, Mariners Fan, and a John Olerud fan (I am a WSU grad, originally from Spokane).

I have a few of his rookie baseball cards, which are worth more, now, than when I bought them (don't ask me to dig them up to find brand types, though).

I was hoping the Giants would make the playoffs, but alas....

I hope the RedSox beat the Yankees and if they do, win the World series.

Normandy6644
2004-Oct-19, 01:47 AM
Ahhh back to back extra inning games!! This is too much!!

Chuck
2004-Oct-19, 03:00 AM
Boston wins again! I'm ordering my Red Sox World Series tickets now.

scottmsg
2004-Oct-19, 03:08 AM
Now it looks like the Houston-St Louis game will go to extra innings too. Only one hit each through eight innings.

Normandy6644
2004-Oct-19, 03:09 AM
Now it looks like the Houston-St Louis game will go to extra innings too. Only one hit each through eight innings.

Yeah but they almost finished before the Yankees-Red Sox game. That would have been impressive.

Ut
2004-Oct-19, 03:28 AM
Two extra inning, at home wins tonight. If only the winning teams realized they have more games to play before the big celebration...

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Oct-19, 03:35 AM
Two away too

Normandy6644
2004-Oct-19, 04:40 AM
I must say I am impressed by both series so far. They've turned out to be as exciting so far as I hoped they would be. Gotta love Fall. :D

Ut
2004-Oct-19, 04:42 AM
I love anything that gets my roomies to watch baseball. I'm so bloody sick and tired of hearing about football... Though, having like 38 innings of baseball in two days is a little extreme...

Normandy6644
2004-Oct-19, 04:48 AM
I love anything that gets my roomies to watch baseball. I'm so bloody sick and tired of hearing about football... Though, having like 38 innings of baseball in two days is a little extreme...

It's great!! My whole hall was out watching in the lounge tonight. Great stuff.

scottmsg
2004-Oct-19, 04:49 AM
I'd better enjoy the few baseball games left, there are only about two weeks until the NBA starts #-o. At least I'm far enough away from any NBA teams, that I won't hear too much about it.

Hopefully the World Series will be as good as the LCS's.

Kaptain K
2004-Oct-19, 06:34 AM
'Stros win 3-0. Back to St. Looie.

Jim
2004-Oct-19, 12:43 PM
"The Astros won because Backe pitched the best eight innings of his young career. They won because incomparable Carlos Beltran made two spectacular plays in center. They won because Kent delivered in the bottom of the ninth."

http://images.chron.com/content/news/photos/04/10/18/astros2_front.jpg

Garner is toying with having Clemens start Game 6. I hope he uses Pete Munro, saving Clemens to start the World Series.

Astros in six.

Gmann
2004-Oct-19, 01:15 PM
Many of us in St. Louis saw this sort of thing coming. The 'Stros have been unbeatable at home for more than a month. Now, they are coming into our house. Clemens is a strong candidate for the Cy Young, but he is going to need as much forkball as he can throw. The Cards have an annoying tendency of murdering people at Busch. This is going to be interesting. The big question will be how Boston is going to behave in the house that Ruth built. The last 3 games in the ALCS have been record setters in both runs scored, and longevity. I think that the NL team will have a leg up on the AL team because of the inherent explosive power in both the Cards and Astros lineups. You could make the case that the Cards or the Astros are actually playing themselves in this series, since they match almost man for man in hitting for power, hitting for average, pitching, and fielding. I don't think the AL can deal with the kind of offense they are about to face.

pumpkinpie
2004-Oct-19, 01:30 PM
Two extra inning, at home wins tonight. If only the winning teams realized they have more games to play before the big celebration...

Almost, but not quite.....the Astros won it in the bottom of the 9th.

I'm rooting for ABY (Anyone but Yankees) so I definitely want Boston...but should that not happen, who has a better chance at beating the Yanks in the series? Astros or Cards? That's who I'm rooting for.

Normandy6644
2004-Oct-19, 03:49 PM
Many of us in St. Louis saw this sort of thing coming. The 'Stros have been unbeatable at home for more than a month. Now, they are coming into our house. Clemens is a strong candidate for the Cy Young, but he is going to need as much forkball as he can throw. The Cards have an annoying tendency of murdering people at Busch. This is going to be interesting. The big question will be how Boston is going to behave in the house that Ruth built. The last 3 games in the ALCS have been record setters in both runs scored, and longevity. I think that the NL team will have a leg up on the AL team because of the inherent explosive power in both the Cards and Astros lineups. You could make the case that the Cards or the Astros are actually playing themselves in this series, since they match almost man for man in hitting for power, hitting for average, pitching, and fielding. I don't think the AL can deal with the kind of offense they are about to face.

Yeah, which is part of the reason I've enjoyed the series' so much. I thought St. Louis would beat Houston with their offense, but Brandon Backe (former Devil Ray, my hometown team. There's quite a few of them playing in October too...) was just awesome. It is gonna be interresting to see how these games at Busch go. Either way, I think the AL is screwed.

Ut
2004-Oct-19, 05:02 PM
God, I hope so. Nothing would make me happier than to see Boston or New York torn to shreds. You know, something soul crushing.

Maksutov
2004-Oct-20, 12:22 AM
This is the first LCS game I started watching before the start of the game.
Fox's pregame announcers were extremely obnoxious and loud, and, when it got to the point where they were talking over each other, I hit the mute button. Mute buttons must some of the greatest, most reliable technology, considering how many are still working after years of being hit hard. 8)

Ut
2004-Oct-20, 01:12 AM
I honestly can't stand Fox's sports broadcasts. Or their news broadcasts, but that's OT. They're loud, flashy, and stray so far from the point so often... How many times does something need to FLASH, anyway?

scottmsg
2004-Oct-20, 02:30 AM
I usually try to avoid listening to TV broadcasts of sporting events. It seems that all the television broadcasters have gone downhill in the past few years, with Fox being the worst. Luckily, most of the games I want to listen to are available on the radio here.

scottmsg
2004-Oct-20, 04:21 AM
There will be a Game 7 in New York tomorrow. I have this strange feeling the Boston will lose in the ninth inning when the tying run comes around third, falls down five feet from home, and is tagged for the last out.

However, I don't like Boston or the Yankees, so I hope the NL representative wins the World Series.

Normandy6644
2004-Oct-20, 04:23 AM
I usually try to avoid listening to TV broadcasts of sporting events. It seems that all the television broadcasters have gone downhill in the past few years, with Fox being the worst. Luckily, most of the games I want to listen to are available on the radio here.

I like Joe Buck. He's good. I do think the NL will beat either AL team, but I'm still pulling for the Yankees.

Ut
2004-Oct-20, 04:31 AM
I want to see the Yankees come out on top. In fact, I want to see Boston leading in the bottom of the 9th, and have the Yankees come back. You know, something soul crushing. Then, I'd like to see the Yanks fall in 4 in the WS.

Trebuchet
2004-Oct-20, 04:50 AM
I was SO pleased to see the umpires do the right thing and call A-Rod out! He's a great player but NOBODY is as good as he thinks he is. And usually the Yanks have been able to count on getting all the questionable calls (and some blatently bad ones) their way.

Maksutov
2004-Oct-20, 08:04 AM
Ruth's ghost in the stands, tension in the dugouts, riot police on the field, ah, there's nothing like AL post-season baseball in NYawk! :D

Gmann
2004-Oct-20, 01:06 PM
I hope he uses Pete Munro

Your wish has been granted, Munro was announced as the starter for today's game (3:10 CDT). I wouldn't start Clemens in the first game of the series. The AL has home field advantage, thanks in part to the way they smacked him around in the first inning of the All Star game. I would start him in game 3, at Houston and let him redeem himself. That is of course, if they manage to win the series. The weather here sux. It's chilly, overcast, foggy, drizzly, and in the '50's. Since Busch Stadium has no roof, there is no way to keep out the elements. Matt Morris is going to be driven by pride, team spirit, and most importantly $$$$$$$. His performance today is going to have a lot to do with what his paycheck next year might look like. Yes, that comment sounds nasty, but that is the way it is. CARDS IN 7!!! =D>

George Noory is taking credit for the resurgence of the Red Sox. the other night, he had a ghost expert on the show, and she gave some tips to remove a curse. After that, the Sox started winning. All bets are off, game 7 starts in less than 12 hours. I don't really care who wins, as long as it's not the Yankees, but given these extra inning games, not to mention the 19 - 8 game, these pitching staffs have been pushed beyond the limit in pitches thrown and innings worked. If tonight's game goes long, the pitchers are going to be fried. The NL pitchers, on the other hand will be better rested, with the exception of Brad Lidge ( if the 'Stros have a chance to win he will be used) With the kind of hitters that the AL team will be facing, they are going to have their hands full. They will either face Walker, Pujols, Rolen, Edmunds, and Sanders. Or they will see Beltran, Berkmann, Bagwell, Kent, and Ensberg. Pick your poison, they are both just as deadly.

Normandy6644
2004-Oct-20, 01:13 PM
They will either face Walker, Pujols, Rolen, Edmunds, and Sanders. Or they will see Beltran, Berkmann, Bagwell, Kent, and Ensberg. Pick your poison, they are both just as deadly.

One of the main reasons I think the NL team will just annihilate whichever AL team it is. Gonna be a fun game tonight though. :D

Kaptain K
2004-Oct-20, 03:12 PM
... these pitching staffs have been pushed beyond the limit ...
Dizzy Dean pitched both ends of a double header - 18 innings! :o Today's players are overpaid wimps! 8)

sts60
2004-Oct-20, 05:32 PM
Regarding Maksutov's comment about the supposedly washed-up Clemens going on to more big things with other teams, I am reminded of another Texas power pitcher. I was at Nolan Ryan's fifth no-hitter. Of course, he was pretty much washed up himself when they (Tal Smith?) let him go. He only had two more no-nos with the Rangers, after all.

I've only replayed Kent's 3-run homer to end Game 5 about fifty times so far. The flip of the helmet and grin of delight are are just classic images. What a great night of baseball between that game and the epic in Boston.

Yes, I too hate the Yankees, originally because I was raised as an O's fan and now primarily because I don't like winning to be based on the ability to dole out unlimited megabucks. Speaking of which, I hope the Astros find a way to hang on to Beltran...

I'm kind of sorry that St. Louis is an NL team right now. I wish the 'Stros were playing them in the Series. I've always liked St. Louis the city, and I like the team and the fans as well. This series has plenty of passion and drama without the animosity.

That said - I think the Astros will win tonight. Just my feeling. Starting Munro will pay off today without having to wait until tomorrow. Then, hopefully, on to put the hurt on the over-hyped, over-attentioned, over-paid AL media darlings (whichever one that turns out to be).

Normandy6644
2004-Oct-20, 05:50 PM
I don't really hate any team in particular. I'm pulling for the Yankees because I was born in NY and had been a Yankee fan for years before I started to follow the Devil Rays home in Tampa. I like both St. Louis and Houston and also wish they could be playing in the series. In the end, I don't like the way both Boston and New York keep buying manufactured all-star teams at the expense of the rest of the AL East. No other teams have a chance to make the playoffs so long as Boston and New York continue to do what they have been. It's either win your division (for the central and the west) or nothing, since whichever AL east team doesn't win the division will most likely get the wildcard. That's why the NL is more interesting, with something like 8 teams within 2 games for the last few weeks.

Master258
2004-Oct-20, 07:57 PM
Boston still in it!
one of my teams might still win

Maksutov
2004-Oct-20, 08:49 PM
I don't really hate any team in particular. [edit]

Growing up in SW Connecticut, there were four baseball teams to choose from. One was expected to be either a New York Giants fan, a Brooklyn Dodgers fan, a Boston Red Sox fan, or a New York Yankees fan. And, it went without saying that if one were a fan of one of the first three teams, you would automatically hate the Yankees.

I was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan. 1955 was a very good year. :D

Swift
2004-Oct-20, 08:55 PM
I don't really hate any team in particular. [edit]

Growing up in SW Connecticut, there were four baseball teams to choose from. One was expected to be either a New York Giants fan, a Brooklyn Dodgers fan, a Boston Red Sox fan, or a New York Yankees fan. And, it went without saying that if one were a fan of one of the first three teams, you would automatically hate the Yankees.

I was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan. 1955 was a very good year. :D
Growing up in NY city I would agree, except for the Red Sox. My family were mostly Dodger fans (my uncle was a Giants fan). After the Dodgers left, most of those fans ended up becoming Mets fans (which I was growing up).

When I moved to Cleveland, everyone wondered if I would root for the Indians or the Yankees. Ha, I hate the Yankees as much as you guys. My only problem is if the Indians and the Mets ever meet in the Series. I should have such problems. :wink:

scottmsg
2004-Oct-20, 09:01 PM
My favorite teams growing up were the Pirates, Orioles, and Royals. I don't think I'll have to worry about any of them facing each other in the World Series for a very long time. Right now, I'd be happy if the Pirates could just have a winning season, never mind making the playoffs.

Master258
2004-Oct-21, 02:14 AM
Boston leading 8-1 in the bottom of the 4th
keep it going

Maksutov
2004-Oct-21, 02:54 AM
Here's what it looks like from the top of New England. (http://www.mountwashington.org/comments/2004/102006-lg.jpg)

Cylinder
2004-Oct-21, 03:53 AM
Boston leading 8-1 in the bottom of the 4th
keep it going

The Sox are certainly putting the spank on New York. So much for the bambino.

Jpax2003
2004-Oct-21, 04:02 AM
Sox win!

scottmsg
2004-Oct-21, 04:05 AM
It'll be interesting if Boston plays Houston in the World Series. Roger Clemens will probably start Game 3 in Houston on four days rest. If it goes to seven games, Clemens would likely start at Boston against his old team. I want the NL winner to beat Boston, but I would love to see a Houston-Boston Game 7.

Normandy6644
2004-Oct-21, 04:14 AM
It'll be interesting if Boston plays Houston in the World Series. Roger Clemens will probably start Game 3 in Houston on four days rest. If it goes to seven games, Clemens would likely start at Boston against his old team. I want the NL winner to beat Boston, but I would love to see a Houston-Boston Game 7.

Same here.

Darkwing
2004-Oct-21, 04:17 AM
Go Red Sox! Woohoo!

On to the World Series!

sts60
2004-Oct-21, 01:07 PM
This being a science board, I hereby admit that my "feeling" about the Astros winning last night was falsified in the bottom of the 12th. Well, as one of the Cardinals said (more or less), "Game 7 with Roger Clemens. You can't ask for better than that."

No, you can't. And what kind of wimpy LCS takes only six games anyway?
:)

Normandy6644
2004-Oct-21, 02:07 PM
This being a science board, I hereby admit that my "feeling" about the Astros winning last night was falsified in the bottom of the 12th. Well, as one of the Cardinals said (more or less), "Game 7 with Roger Clemens. You can't ask for better than that."

No, you can't. And what kind of wimpy LCS takes only six games anyway?
:)

Haha, yeah really. 7 games is the only was to go!

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Oct-21, 06:23 PM
I'm kind of sorry that St. Louis is an NL team right now.
When I first read this, I thought you were remembering back to 1891. :)

Normandy6644
2004-Oct-21, 06:48 PM

Ah yes, I remember the good ol' days too. :)

scottmsg
2004-Oct-21, 06:56 PM

Who can forget the Brooklyn Bridegrooms (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1891&t=BR5) and the Cleveland Spiders (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1891&t=CL4). And we need more players named Oyster (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=burnsoy01).

Ut
2004-Oct-22, 03:18 AM
Bawston and St. Louie on Saturday.

My money's on the Cards in 5.

N C More
2004-Oct-22, 11:12 AM

Aww...don't say that! I mean, sheesh, the poor Sox have been "cursed" for long enough! My husband and son are so happy right now. :D Certainly the "great gods of baseball" have been appeased and the curse of the bambino is finally lifted?

Gmann
2004-Oct-22, 01:03 PM
According to George Noory, the curse has been lifted, leaving the Sox to try and win the old fashioned way...slugfest. I wish Bahston all the luck in the world...they are going to need it.

ToSeek
2004-Oct-22, 01:14 PM
Red Sox win in 7 games, with a heartstopping finish in the bottom of the 9th (or later). It's destiny....

pghnative
2004-Oct-22, 01:19 PM
To anyone with more news coverage on the Boston/NY series than I:

Has there been any explanation from Terry Francona as to why he pitched Pedro in Game 7? Lowe was pitching great, he'd thrown only ~70 pitches and had just struck out two Yankees in the 6th, and Boston was up by 7. Pedro should have been resting for the WS. Did Francona just want to hear the "whose-your-daddy" chant again?

gethen
2004-Oct-22, 01:33 PM
A guy on NPR yesterday said that we're setting up for a game 7 in which the Sox finally kill the Bambino's curse on Halloween. We'd never hear the end of it.

sts60
2004-Oct-22, 05:16 PM
Well, *sigh*. 10 outs from the Series.

They posted a graphic early in yesterday's game that showed the Astros-Cardinals statistical comparison in five or six major categories - they were exactly equal through the first six games of the NLCS.

Anyway, although I've basically lost interest now, I hope the Cardinals take it all. They've got the offense and the defense to do it, and if their pitchers can hang together...

Personal trivia note: I watched Terry Francona play left field for Arizona during their 1980 championship season. The college Wildcats, not the as-yet-nonexistent MLB Diamondbacks. I seem to recall he had more hair then. Of course, I have the same memory about myself at that time. Curious... I can't imagine what changed over a couple of dozen years. :-k

SpacedOut
2004-Oct-22, 06:49 PM
Red Sox win in 7 games, with a heartstopping finish in the bottom of the 9th (or later). It's destiny....

Red Sox loose in 7 games, after a heart stopping loss in the sixth game - top of the 9th (or later) - after being up 3 games to 2. It's history....

Has there been any explanation from Terry Francona as to why he pitched Pedro in Game 7? Lowe was pitching great, he'd thrown only ~70 pitches and had just struck out two Yankees in the 6th, and Boston was up by 7. Pedro should have been resting for the WS. Did Francona just want to hear the "whose-your-daddy" chant again?

According to Shilling on WFAN M&MD yesterday, Pedro really wanted to pitch and pushed Francona very hard. My guess (along with the crazy sox fans I work with) is that Pedro wanted to come in and shut up 55,000 New Yorkers Ė very happy it didnít quite work out that way for him.

Still, a bitter loss.

Darkwing
2004-Oct-22, 07:16 PM

Here's a link to a story:
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/bos/news/bos_news.jsp?ymd=20041021&content_id=902039&vkey=n ews_bos&fext=.jsp

The relevant part is:

The Pedro decision: A lot of people wondered why Francona used Pedro Martinez in relief during Game 7, even though the Sox held an 8-1 lead. Martinez was hit hard in his inning of work, giving up three hits and two runs.

"If you just think it through, we didn't have very many arms," said Francona. "If we get Pedro up, and we had him loose in the inning before, and then sit him down, then there's a rally because we got somebody else up and we want to get Pedro in, you're risking a lot. We're trying to minimize fatigue on a guy's arm and win the game. We weren't exactly in abundance of fresh arms out there."

Francona also acknowledged that he wanted Martinez to pitch in a positive situation at Yankee Stadium.

"I was excited about bringing him in that game," said Francona. "I know he gave up some hits, some runs, but he actually threw the ball very well. I wanted him to be standing on that mound with some success."

SpacedOut
2004-Oct-22, 07:34 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/bos/news/bos_news.jsp?ymd=20041021&content_id=902039&vkey=n ews_bos&fext=.jsp

The relevant part is:

"If you just think it through, we didn't have very many arms," said Francona. "If we get Pedro up, and we had him loose in the inning before, and then sit him down, then there's a rally because we got somebody else up and we want to get Pedro in, you're risking a lot. We're trying to minimize fatigue on a guy's arm and win the game. We weren't exactly in abundance of fresh arms out there."

Problem with Francona's statement is that there was absolutly no reason to have Pedro warming in the sixth unless he wanted to pitch Pedro in the seventh.

Darkwing
2004-Oct-22, 08:09 PM
Problem with Francona's statement is that there was absolutly no reason to have Pedro warming in the sixth unless he wanted to pitch Pedro in the seventh.

Yes, his decision to take out Lowe when he did was debatable, since Lowe was doing just fine. On the other hand, perhaps he didn't want push Lowe at all, and wanted to spread the labor. Once he got Pedro up in the first place, he'd either have to come in in the 7th or not at all. I'm sure Pedro lobbied hard to get an inning if things were going well, as he wanted Pedro have a hand in winning the last game. He gave up two runs, yes, but he also got three outs. At that point in the game, the Sox could have given up 2 runs for every three outs and still won. Wasn't a great, or even a "good" performance, but he got the job done.

And as Pedro won't be pitching until Game 3, he'll have plenty of rest.

pghnative
2004-Oct-22, 08:44 PM
Well, that's my point. If he doesn't even warm up for game 7, then he's presumably available for Game 1 on Saturday. (5 days rest)

Swift
2004-Oct-22, 09:10 PM

The relevant part is:

I did hear that it was Pedro's day to normally get some work in (about half way through the rotation, most starting pitchers will do 20 or 30 pitch as practice/conditioning). Maybe part of the reasoning was that he was going to be throwing anyway.

But I still thought it was a strange decision.

DodgerDean
2004-Oct-22, 09:28 PM
Space.com points out that the total lunar eclipse next Wed. (Oct 27) will be visible (weather permitting) during game 4 of the series in St. Louis next week, about an hour after the game begins.

GO SOX!

Swift
2004-Oct-22, 09:37 PM
Space.com points out that the total lunar eclipse next Wed. (Oct 27) will be visible (weather permitting) during game 4 of the series in St. Louis next week, about an hour after the game begins.

GO SOX!
Well, that should give the Fox sports announcers something to talk about, since they rarely talk about the actual baseball game.

Ut
2004-Oct-22, 11:07 PM

GO SOX!
Well, that should give the Fox sports announcers something to talk about, since they rarely talk about the actual baseball game.

Ugh. Don't even get me started. If the words "Harvest Moon" or "Spooky" or "Halloween" are mentioned while a shot of the Moon is being made, I'll puke. I already know I'm going to be pulling my hair out as they hype football all game long.

Careless
2004-Oct-23, 03:21 AM
Born and raised in chicago, I'm a cubs fan. Naturally, I loathe the cardinals. I was very disappointed they won. Having lived in NY and NE, I hate the yankees and like the red sox. It seems I met nothing but jerk yankee fans in NY. So congrats red sox. Way to show heart.
Which the stupid cubs had none of this season. Excuse me while I cry in my old style. Biggest choke job in the regular season in a while.

Cylinder
2004-Oct-24, 04:09 AM
Sox win 11-9 after a little 8th inning roller coaster.

Cylinder
2004-Oct-24, 04:12 AM
Factiod: The Game 1 winner has went on to win the World Series 60% of the time and 13 out of the last 16.

Gmann
2004-Oct-24, 12:31 PM
This series is being played by two teams who shouldn't be there in the first place (Cards Picked by "experts" to finish 4th in their division, and the Sox, who were down 3-0 and everybody knows that coming back from 3-0 is impossible). I said before that this series was going to be one heck of a ride, so far, I see no reason to change that opinion. The Cards gave up way too many walks, the Sox made way too many errors. Think of what tonight will bring. :o I still think the Cards have the advantage with the better defense, and explosive offense. The Sox have heart, tons of it, and that has to be considered.

Ut
2004-Oct-24, 02:29 PM
This series is being played by two teams who shouldn't be there in the first place (Cards Picked by "experts" to finish 4th in their division....

I think that's a little harsh. The Cards were predicted to come in 4th at the beginning of the season. That's akin to saying that the Patriots are supposed to win the Superbowl again this year, and then claiming any other team that does it "wasn't supposed to".

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Oct-24, 02:54 PM
I think that's a little harsh. .
I don't know about harsh, but it's a little ambiguous. If the Yankess had won the ALCS, the same sort of thing could have been said about them--since the Sox were picked to beat them. There's always someone who has picked your team to not be there.

Ut
2004-Oct-24, 03:05 PM
Well, had someone picked the Jays to be there, I'd probably laugh at them, so...

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Oct-24, 03:35 PM
Yeah, picking a team to not be there is different than picking them to be there. The former only requires a reasonable alternative, the latter sometimes requires a suspension of disbelief.

Normandy6644
2004-Oct-24, 04:16 PM
After last night, methinks this is going to be one heck of a series. Definitely high scoring I would have to think.

pghnative
2004-Oct-24, 05:30 PM
Presuming that Schilling's doctor stitches up his ankle properly, I suspect tonights game won't be as high scoring (at least not for the Cardinals)

Normandy6644
2004-Oct-24, 05:50 PM
Does anyone else really want to see Pedro have to bat? That would make me laugh so hard if somebody threw at him, just to give him a taste of his own medicine. Haha!

Maksutov
2004-Oct-25, 05:18 AM
I honestly can't stand Fox's sports broadcasts. Or their news broadcasts, but that's OT. They're loud, flashy, and stray so far from the point so often... How many times does something need to FLASH, anyway?

Not only does the score pop-up flash but it flashes for no good reason, such as when there have been no changes in the score, etc. Plus its location is really obnoxious, leaving a band of screen area above it that is completely wasted.

Re the flashing, I wonder how many TV execs realize that there are many epileptics and migraneurs who watch TV, and have to look away or switch to another channel when the flashing starts. This is not only during programming, but also, and especially, during commercials. The overpaid ad execs may think they're attracting attention, but this device is actually driving away and turning off a percentage of the viewing public.

Finally, I listened to part of Jeanne Zelasko and Kevin Kennedy's pregame blathering, and have no intention of listening to it again. Loud, obnoxious, sarcastic, demeaning, condescending, and mostly downright disrespectful of the subject they're commenting on.

In a pregame interview, Johnny Pesky, Red Schoendienst, and Berge Avadanian, an 86-year-old Red Sox fan, were class acts, calmly recollecting their memories and stating their opinions, while Zelasko and Kennedy were interrupting, shouting, and talking over each other. Zelasko's tendency toward over-enunciation and speech mannerisms makes a lot of what she says unintelligible. The whole broadcast reminded me of the typical company that succeeds in spite of its management.

Now, I wonder if the Red Sox will be involved in some fielding practice before Tuesday?

Good National Anthem by James Taylor, BTW.

Maksutov
2004-Oct-25, 05:24 AM

How much money did you lose? :D

Maksutov
2004-Oct-25, 05:32 AM
Does anyone else really want to see Pedro have to bat? That would make me laugh so hard if somebody threw at him, just to give him a taste of his own medicine. Haha!

Well, if the American League played REAL baseball, as does the National League, Pedro would have some experience at the plate and would have had some training on how to handle a bat. :)

Gmann
2004-Oct-25, 12:22 PM
This series is starting to get ugly. The Sox can't seem to find thier gloves, or figure out which end the ball is supposed to go in, and the Cards seem to have left their bats on the plane. Both teams seem to have been cursed in some fashion. So far, the Sox have come out on top. Let's see how things unfold without a Green Monster, 302' right field porch, and freezing cold winds. The Cards have been a surprise in the playoffs since during the season they were the "road warriors". They have so far been "road kill" going 1-6 on the road.

Normandy6644
2004-Oct-25, 01:17 PM

Well, if the American League played REAL baseball, as does the National League, Pedro would have some experience at the plate and would have had some training on how to handle a bat. :)

I completely agree. I've always thought the NL is a bit more strategic with the pitchers batting and double switches and things like that. The DH really makes it sloppy sometimes.

Ut
2004-Oct-25, 01:49 PM
Pedro has experience batting... He did play for the Expos for like 5 years.

I like that the AL and NL are essentially two different products. Inter-league play bugs me, and having all the umpiers under a single roof bugs me. The more separate they are, the happier I am. Small ball vs big ball is a great battle.

pghnative
2004-Oct-25, 01:53 PM
Presuming that Schilling's doctor stitches up his ankle properly, I suspect tonights game won't be as high scoring (at least not for the Cardinals)Told ya.

(ouch --just hurt my arm while patting myself on the back)

iFire
2004-Oct-25, 01:55 PM
I hope the Red Sox's curse is still in effect... I'm getting worried... Maybe we'll do better in game three...

SeanF
2004-Oct-25, 02:17 PM
Well, had someone picked the Jays to be there, I'd probably laugh at them, so...
There's a pre-season magazine put out every year by Athlon. Their 2004 edition picked Kansas City to win the AL Central! :o

Maksutov
2004-Oct-25, 02:44 PM
Pedro has experience batting... He did play for the Expos for like 5 years.

I like that the AL and NL are essentially two different products. Inter-league play bugs me, and having all the umpiers under a single roof bugs me. The more separate they are, the happier I am. Small ball vs big ball is a great battle.
Let's see, Expos, Expos...is that the Washington team?

Pedro had his last at-bat as an NL pitcher in 1997. Since that was like, yesterday, I'm sure he's right up to snuff and needs no further batting instruction, etc.

Unification of the umpires? Yes! Maybe we'll eventually get a consistent strike zone! :P

Ut
2004-Oct-25, 05:17 PM
Well, Pedro's had that sacriligious interleague play to stay in shape with the bat.

And you can't get an umpire to keep a consistant strike zone from pitcher to pitcher, let alone from league to league. I say keep 'em separate, and give each league a different strike zone :D

Maksutov
2004-Oct-27, 02:36 AM
Another crummy Fox broadcast. This time it's the television quality, not the announcers (skipped their spiel at the beginning of the coverage...ah!). The signal has been breaking up on many of the Fox cameras, the stereo sound on one of the local Fox stations just lost the left channel, and the other local Fox station has stereo sound, but everyone's skin looks green.

And, on Mark Bellhorn's checked swing which was questionably called a strike, Fox never bothered with the only camera angle that allows for an objective, accurate appraisal of the call: from overhead.

Fox is right down there with ABC for TV broadcast quality. http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/grinser/grinning-smiley-028.gif

Careless
2004-Oct-27, 02:38 AM
Another crummy Fox broadcast. This time it's the television quality, not the announcers (skipped their spiel at the beginning of the coverage...ah!). The signal has been breaking up on many of the Fox cameras, the stereo sound on one of the local Fox stations just lost the left channel, and the other local Fox station has stereo sound, but everyone's skin looks green.
How about fox's claim that it has the ... how do they phrase it? "Highest quality HD broadcast"? (I'm sure that's wrong) They're broadcasting at a much lower resolution than the other networks. I can't believe they can get away with saying that

Ut
2004-Oct-27, 04:03 AM
I'm going to live to see the curse broken... It's going to be a sad day for baseball... Now, all we'll have is the Cubs, and how can you hate a team like that?

This had better lead to a golden age. I could really use 20 turns of high production and low corruption.

Darkwing
2004-Oct-27, 11:57 AM
It's not over yet...and Red Sox Nation is holding its collective breath. We know better than to assume victory until the last game is well and truly over.

ToSeek
2004-Oct-27, 02:20 PM
It's not over yet...and Red Sox Nation is holding its collective breath. We know better than to assume victory until the last game is well and truly over.

Yes, there would be a certain, curse-appropriate irony to baseball going 99 years without a team coming back to win from 3-0 down in a seven-game series and then having it happen twice in the space of two weeks. I'll believe it when the last out is recorded, not before.

iFire
2004-Oct-27, 02:36 PM

Yes, there would be a certain, curse-appropriate irony to baseball going 99 years without a team coming back to win from 3-0 down in a seven-game series and then having it happen twice in the space of two weeks. I'll believe it when the last out is recorded, not before.

I would really like to see that irony.... A lot... please... :(

I have some relatives on the East coast... fortunatly most are Yankees fans and know better than to root for the Sox. There are some who are Sox fans though, and I don't want to hear them talk about their cursed team beating our non-cursed team...

Uh... I blame it on PX!

Cylinder
2004-Oct-28, 03:29 AM
About time to get out those brooms, wouldn't you say? :P

Ut
2004-Oct-28, 03:46 AM
I'm going to curl up and cry now.

Darkwing
2004-Oct-28, 04:07 AM
Sorry Ut, but Red Sox Nation has been doing that for 86 years.

Right now we're going to enjoy the moment!

Donnie B.
2004-Oct-28, 04:24 AM
Oh yes, yes indeed we will... :D =D>

Ut
2004-Oct-28, 04:33 AM
Bah.. You people are trying to make me get myself banned, aren't you...

Careless
2004-Oct-28, 07:41 AM
\:D/ \:D/
Great job sox. now we just have to keep the yankees cursed.

Gmann
2004-Oct-28, 04:02 PM
Congrats to the Sox. =D> I thought this series would be a barn burner. In a way it was. In the last 2 games the Cards were 1 good inning away from taking the game. You have to hand it to the Sox pitchers, they managed to take the 4,5,and 6 hitters out of the equation. That has been a task that has evaded every other pitching staff this past season. When the Cards had a hitter who was having success, he was the only one. BTW, pitchers and catchers report to spring training in 111 days (yes, we count stuff like that in St.L) :D

sts60
2004-Oct-28, 05:06 PM
A few pages back, I wrote prior to Game 6 of the NLCS:

...I think the Astros will win tonight. Just my feeling. Starting Munro will pay off today without having to wait until tomorrow. Then, hopefully, on to put the hurt on the over-hyped, over-attentioned, over-paid AL media darlings (whichever one that turns out to be).

While I was wrong about Munro's start, and wrong about the NLCS outcome, I was right about the Series. I, ah, just had the sign reversed. :oops:

P.S. I didn't say they were over-rated.

2004-Oct-28, 06:27 PM
I've found myself listening to this in the middle of the night....Because I leave on the radio, I end-up dreaming that I'm there...How sad is that? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Master258
2004-Oct-28, 07:53 PM
Alright Sox!
one of my teams finally won something

jumbo
2004-Oct-29, 09:22 AM
Congratulations Red Sox! One thing that brought the length of the 'curse' home was that the last time a Red Sox fan could say their team had won the world series the president was Woodrow Wilson.

Right the sox have won the world series. I think the strange mystical forces must be in place for a few other things to happen.

1. The NHL restarts and the Leafs take the cup. (Didnt the rangers end their drought in 94 also a shortened year?)
2. The Vikings claim the superbowl.
3.I`m made mayor of cloud cuckoo land!

:D

Normandy6644
2004-Oct-29, 01:14 PM
Three out of four so far... (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=184131#184131)

Looks like we might have our own Nostradamus here. 8-[ :wink:

Donnie B.
2004-Oct-29, 10:31 PM
Three out of four so far... (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=184131#184131)

Looks like we might have our own Nostradamus here. 8-[ :wink:
I wouldn't credit the Yankees prediction as a hit. While they didn't win the World Series, they didn't lose it either. You have to be in the Series to lose it.

Even if you overlook that, it's not too impressive, since in any given year there are thirty-odd teams that don't win the Series (and so, in a sense, lose it). Now, if he'd actually predicted the winner of the Series, I might start looking for his crystal ball... :wink:

sarongsong
2004-Oct-29, 10:58 PM
Wheaties winners (http://www.generalmills.com/corporate/media_center/news_release_detail.aspx?itemID=7105&catID=227):
"Wheaties tonight announced the release of a special-edition package honoring the Boston Red Sox...1999 World Champion New York Yankees were the last team to be featured on the Wheaties box."