PDA

View Full Version : Silly Products

Buttercup
2012-Aug-29, 02:58 PM
Zebra Travel Mug: "Has a mirror built right in! Check your lipstick after you drink..."

It's a square mirror surrounded by fake diamonds.

Yeah -- people won't think you're the least bit vain, constantly rechecking your lipstick in that mirror. :rolleyes: And what a way to constantly disrupt conversation.

LookingSkyward
2012-Aug-29, 03:15 PM
At first I thought you made that up - then I thought, naahhh... and looked it up on line. That's pretty sad.

Swift
2012-Aug-29, 04:03 PM
Zebra Travel Mug: "Has a mirror built right in! Check your lipstick after you drink..."
Who knew zebras wore lipstick...

:D

Trebuchet
2012-Aug-29, 04:14 PM
Silly Putty, Silly String, etc. are much less silly than that mug!

ETA: Besides, everyone knows that you don't need a mirror on your mug to check your lipstick. That's what the rearview mirror is for!

NEOWatcher
2012-Aug-29, 07:58 PM
... and looked it up on line. That's pretty sad.
And didn't give us a link (like this (http://www.amazon.com/Striped-Travel-Diamond-Studded-Mirror/dp/B008QPD60C))?

What's even more silly is that it isn't lighted. Without a light, how are you really going to see how your lips look.

swampyankee
2012-Aug-29, 11:28 PM

Probably start a lot of talk if I started wearing lipstick so I could use that mug...

Of course, for sheer, utter, silliness: costumes for pets.

Solfe
2012-Aug-31, 01:14 PM
Personally I find prunes wrapped up like little candies to be a silly product. Its a prune, not chocolate.

Buttercup
2012-Aug-31, 01:33 PM
Personally I find prunes wrapped up like little candies to be a silly product. Its a prune, not chocolate.

True. :rolleyes:

Another is the Quesadilla Maker. Quesadillas are just a toasted cheese sandwich made with tortillas instead of bread. You don't need a special maker; just a large pan and large spatula. Duh.

R.A.F.
2012-Aug-31, 02:32 PM
And didn't give us a link (like this (http://www.amazon.com/Striped-Travel-Diamond-Studded-Mirror/dp/B008QPD60C))?

That helps....and here I thought the mirror was at the bottom of the mug....ie. as you finished your drink, you'd see the mirror in the mug.

Silly me.

Swift
2012-Aug-31, 05:00 PM
Even silier than wrapping prunes were the individually plastic-wrapped bananas (http://cdn.trendhunterstatic.com/thumbs/del-monte-banana-plastic-wrap.jpeg).

Romanus
2012-Aug-31, 11:54 PM
Remote-controlled car stereos. They do exist.

swampyankee
2012-Sep-01, 02:04 AM
Local grocery store has individually wrapped potatoes "ready for baking." This is, I guess, as opposed to the complex process of preparing a potato for baking, which consists of a) washing off the dirt and b) punching some holes in it with a fork.

Of course, I also find pre-sliced fruits and vegetables rather pointless.

Ara Pacis
2012-Sep-01, 03:11 AM
Local grocery store has individually wrapped potatoes "ready for baking." This is, I guess, as opposed to the complex process of preparing a potato for baking, which consists of a) washing off the dirt and b) punching some holes in it with a fork.

I wonder if the shelf life is improved by it or not.

I see lots of pointless products, but I can't think of any at the moment as I try to block them out. I wonder how much of this junk doesn't get bought and ends up in landfills or warehouses wasting resources that might have been used better elsewhere such as medical implements, safety devices or just not made which means less petroleum needed for feedstock or transportation, etc.

TJMac
2012-Sep-02, 02:29 PM
Our local supermarket offers small watermelons. They are marketed as "Personal Watermelons." You know, for those times when you JUST DONT WANT TO SHARE your fruit! :D

We had a chap come into the shop a few years ago with an invention he dubbed as the "Next hottest fitness craze." This was actually a bar threaded on each end so that different weights could be attached, and he had worked up a variety of movements one was supposed to do while holding this device. I know what you are thinking, but no, you would be wrong, it is not a simple barbell. :rolleyes: He had spent a lot of effort designing it, and was trying to get a patent, and wanted us to produce a few in return for a percentage of the later (HUGE) profits.

TJ

Buttercup
2012-Sep-02, 02:34 PM

Have to disagree with you on this. I find those items very convenient. But of course convenience is expensive, so I tend to chop/slice whole fruits/vegetables myself.

But in a pinch for time, or for stir-fry or to take to potluck? Yeah -- nice option. :)

NEOWatcher
2012-Sep-04, 06:41 PM
Have to disagree with you on this. I find those items very convenient. But of course convenience is expensive, so I tend to chop/slice whole fruits/vegetables myself.
Ditto;
Also; some of those pre-sliced vegetables/fruits seem to last a bit longer (after slicing) than if I did it myself. I'm sure it's a matter of preservatives, but it does happen.

I usually freeze frozen vegetables from fresh. (I think frozen veggies are over-blanched). But there are some, like peppers where the preparation just seems to overcome the extra price for fresh pre-cut.

I'm also guilty of the wrapped potato. It's easy to clean and cook a potato, but sometimes cleaning it farther in advance is needed and having it neatly wrapped keeps it clean.

danscope
2012-Sep-04, 09:02 PM
Hi, Remote stereos: When you install one of these in a sailboat (just inside the cabin) they are really handy when steering your vessel. You don't have the luxury of running back and forth, skip songs, next cd etc plus FM/ marine weather .
But in the car? Not so much.

Dan

NEOWatcher
2012-Sep-05, 05:49 PM
Hi, Remote stereos: [...] But in the car? Not so much.
Would you want to be in the car fiddling with the radio at the volume that some people play it? ;)

swampyankee
2012-Sep-05, 11:36 PM
Would you want to be in the car fiddling with the radio at the volume that some people play it? ;)

This is why I'm investing money in hearing aid companies. I figure by thirty, some of these guys will need them.

Jens
2012-Sep-06, 06:57 AM
Remote-controlled car stereos. They do exist.

It would be OK, IMHO, if it allowed you to turn down the stereo in the car in the next lane blasting rap at volume 11.

primummobile
2012-Sep-06, 11:29 AM
I like the remotes for the passenger to use. Car stereos now have so many tiny buttons with indecipherable symbols that unless you use the unit daily you will have no idea how to do anything with it. I thought the remotes were a waste too until I saw my wife using it while she was riding with me in my truck.

primummobile
2012-Sep-06, 11:32 AM
I think that this is one of the more ridiculous products I have seen:

http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/arts-culture/stories/canned-air-from-your-favorite-cities-now-on-sale

I would think that quality control in something like this would be very lax. Even if you could package the "smell" of a city, how would you keep it fresh? He could just be selling cans of smelly air for $10 a pop while laughing about how gullible people are.

Buttercup
2012-Sep-06, 01:43 PM

http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/arts-culture/stories/canned-air-from-your-favorite-cities-now-on-sale

I would think that quality control in something like this would be very lax. Even if you could package the "smell" of a city, how would you keep it fresh? He could just be selling cans of smelly air for $10 a pop while laughing about how gullible people are.

Good grief. :rolleyes: And that's from a "Mother Nature" type of store? Which is supposed to be contrary to cities?

I've smelled parts of Houston (chemicals and refineries). I wouldn't want THAT canned.

Or how about the scent of Omaha cattle pens? Mmmm! Not. :rolleyes:

Paul Beardsley
2012-Sep-06, 02:19 PM
I can think of a really sensible product: pencils with an eraser in the end. Then, if you make a mistake while writing, you don't have to seek out an eraser, you simply turn the pencil around and rub out your mistake.

Instead, we have pencils with something that looks a little bit like an eraser, but when you try to rub something out, it leaves a smeary mark and your mistake is still visible.

We can put a man on the moon, and we can put another 11 men on the moon, but we can't have decent eraserheads unless we're characters in a David Lynch film.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Sep-06, 04:48 PM

Someone's been reading too much Pratchett.

NEOWatcher
2012-Sep-06, 06:25 PM
He could just be selling cans of smelly air for $10 a pop while laughing about how gullible people are.
Pet rock with a birth certificate to show where it was born?

It also shows how gullible the news is to print something like this (ok, maybe it is a paid advertisement)

But does the air inside these cans really smell like where it's from?
You'll probably have to purchase a can from Rudenko's page on Etsy to know for sure.
Cop out. it probably doesn't even smell like any city.

Solfe
2012-Sep-10, 10:32 PM
Someone's been reading too much Pratchett.

Or they saw The Lorax. :)

mike alexander
2012-Sep-10, 11:23 PM
For a little extra you can get a pet rock with a long-form birth certificate.

Luckmeister
2012-Sep-11, 12:07 AM
This app (http://www.ispeech.org/mobiletts/drivesafely) converts an incoming text to speech and then converts your spoken answer to text.

Why not just make a voice call to the other person, or does anyone know how to do that any more?

Paul Beardsley
2012-Sep-11, 01:04 AM
This app (http://www.ispeech.org/mobiletts/drivesafely) converts an incoming text to speech and then converts your spoken answer to text.

Why not just make a voice call to the other person, or does anyone know how to do that any more?

A blind person might want to communicate with a deaf person.

Jens
2012-Sep-11, 01:42 AM

If the person's in a different time zone it's sometimes inconvenient.

But I agree the app seems a bit useless in its totality. I think the individual parts would be useful, though. The second part is an automatic dictation machine, and people use that all the time, for example to take notes. And the first part might be useful if you want to check your messages on a train but forgot your reading glasses.

Lurking Nerd
2012-Sep-11, 07:41 PM
Pet rock with a birth certificate to show where it was born?

Or how about a USB powered pet rock. (http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/c208/):surprised::doh:

Paul Beardsley
2012-Sep-11, 07:56 PM
But I agree the app seems a bit useless in its totality.

Did you miss my post, or do you think deaf people never want to communicate with blind people?

Jens
2012-Sep-14, 09:16 AM
Did you miss my post, or do you think deaf people never want to communicate with blind people?

No, I didn't. I sort of put the weasel word "a bit" in there because I didn't want to ignore what you had written. I think that would be a possibility, but it seems it would be a fairly uncommon occurrence. Maybe I should have added, "outside of some exceptional cases."

Jens
2012-Sep-14, 09:20 AM
A blind person might want to communicate with a deaf person.

Actually, I may have been to hasty. Actually, wouldn't that application be useful for any blind person using email? So maybe it is quite a useful thing after all.

Paul Beardsley
2012-Sep-14, 04:02 PM
Actually, I may have been to hasty. Actually, wouldn't that application be useful for any blind person using email? So maybe it is quite a useful thing after all.

Indeed.

I'm back in touch with an ex-girlfriend of 23 years ago who is blind. When we were dating, if we wanted to communicate from a distance without a telephone, we either talked onto an audio tape or I would write to her knowing somebody would have to read it to her. Now, technology has advanced to the stage where we've exchanged emails and I've all but forgotten she can't see the words for herself. I recently wrote a story and asked her if she would take a look. I emailed it to her, and a couple of days later she was coming back with really useful crit.

Solfe
2012-Sep-16, 01:32 AM
Has anyone seen those hands free phone headbands? They are a spring shaped and when uncurled around your head it squishes the phone against your ear.

ShinAce
2012-Sep-16, 01:44 AM
Has anyone seen those hands free phone headbands? They are a spring shaped and when uncurled around your head it squishes the phone against your ear.

Funniest infomercial ever. I couldn't stop laughing.

edit: Ah yes, the Gojo!

NEOWatcher
2012-Sep-25, 05:47 PM
Even silier than wrapping prunes were the individually plastic-wrapped bananas (http://cdn.trendhunterstatic.com/thumbs/del-monte-banana-plastic-wrap.jpeg).
I ran across this video which is even sillier than your wrapped bananas.
Bananas in plastic wrap? (http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nbcnews.com/49163451/?__utma=14933801.771610376.1348502408.1348502408.1 348593191.2&__utmb=14933801.2.10.1348593191&__utmc=14933801&__utmx=-&__utmz=14933801.1348502408.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utm ccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=14933801.|8=Earned%20By=msnbc%7Ccover=1^12= Landing%20Content=Mixed=1^13=Landing%20Hostname=ww w.nbcnews.com=1^30=Visit%20Type%20to%20Content=Ear ned%20to%20Mixed=1&__utmk=72602899#49156126)

At least Swift's wrapped bananas have some logical and plausible reasoning behind it according to the manufacturer (http://www.forbes.com/sites/csr/2011/03/15/del-monte-responds-to-daily-show-criticism-of-individually-wrapped-banana/).

But why on Earth would you peal them and then repackage them on trays and shrink wrap them?

Also; shame on the media for not asking questions from both sides. Like; why are they under fire? (yes; I know it's stupid, but I'd like to hear what people are saying about it). And; Why did the chain think it was a good idea in the first place?

mike alexander
2012-Sep-29, 06:36 AM
I saw an ad on TV yesterday for Chia Obama or Chia Romney heads.

I am not making this up.

Paul Beardsley
2012-Sep-29, 07:59 AM

I am not making this up.

In effigy, I take it?

Noclevername
2012-Sep-29, 10:04 AM

I am not making this up.

Now in your own home you can watch them butt heads against each other-- just like real life!

Gillianren
2012-Sep-29, 05:25 PM
The Chia Obama has been around for some time. Nearly four years, I think.

mike alexander
2012-Sep-29, 05:53 PM
Just about anything on cable/satellite for $19.95

Buttercup
2012-Oct-10, 01:58 PM
From a holiday food seller: Muffin Top Assortment.

If you only like the tops of muffins, this is for you! Lemon poppyseed, banana, blueberry, chocolate chip.

Eight jumbo-sized tops for "only" $30 (plus S & H)!

Ara Pacis
2012-Oct-10, 07:32 PM
lol muffintop

Buttercup
2012-Oct-12, 06:07 PM
Pepperidge Farm Crumble Cakes. For $3 more than the regular varieties you can get 1/4 cup of crushed cookies (chocolate chip, etc) stuck to the top. :rolleyes: