PDA

View Full Version : Letís Send Neil Back To The Moon

Fraser
2012-Aug-29, 07:20 PM
As a native-born and life-long resident of Ohio, I have lived in the shadow of Neil Armstrong all my life. I visit Wapokenta every few years for two simple reasons – I love the Armstrong Museum and I feel a need to pass that heritage on to children, grandchildren and visiting friends. Of course, I [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/97113/lets-send-neil-back-to-the-moon/)

Selfsim
2012-Aug-29, 09:17 PM
Where his ashes are interred, is nobody's business other than his (posthumously), and his family's.

Armstrong stood against his own glorification as a hero … why would that change now that he's not around?

Tuckerfan
2012-Aug-29, 10:01 PM
Where his ashes are interred, is nobody's business other than his (posthumously), and his family's.

Armstrong stood against his own glorification as a hero … why would that change now that he's not around?
Who's going to tell him if we do?

Selfsim
2012-Aug-29, 10:20 PM
His family. I'm sure his presence lives on, in their memories.

Frankly, if the intent here is to ignore or over-ride his Will, or his family's wishes .. then I am appalled Ö and would vigorously oppose any steps to do such a thing. If this were their desire, (or his) .. well, I might not oppose the idea at all.

Armstrong said all his life that he was just doing his job Ö his job was over when he retired. His life was his. Ö Not some fanatic's who wants to hijack his remains for some political self-serving point !

Tuckerfan
2012-Aug-30, 12:54 AM
His family. I'm sure his presence lives on, in their memories.And nothing anyone is suggesting would take away those memories.

Frankly, if the intent here is to ignore or over-ride his Will, or his family's wishes .. then I am appalled Ö and would vigorously oppose any steps to do such a thing. If this were their desire, (or his) .. well, I might not oppose the idea at all.Frankly, I'm appalled that our society has decided to elevate people the likes of Snooki and "The Situation" and the Kardashians to celebrity status. I'm appalled that there are politicians who are able to have a successful career despite publicly proclaiming that they don't believe in facts which have been clearly established by science for decades or even longer.

Armstrong said all his life that he was just doing his job Ö his job was over when he retired. His life was his. Ö Not some fanatic's who wants to hijack his remains for some political self-serving point !Police, firemen, doctors, nurses, and members of the military are "just doing their job" when they run into dangerous situations. Far too often, we fail to honor them, when they make the ultimate sacrifice (or ignore them when they come back from their jobs with serious injuries or emotional trauma).

Neil was a Navy man, who saw combat, he knew better than most of us, that sometimes you have to sacrifice those things which you personally hold dear for the greater good. Were he still alive, he might not like the idea of being interred on the Moon, or being raised to a demi-god like status after he was dead. But I have to believe that he would rather have that, than have our society slouch towards Idiocracy-like conditions at Warp 9, as it seems to be now doing.

It isn't like the Apollo program was somehow free of politics, either. We did it so that we could thumb our collective noses at the Soviets, the science was simply tacked on as an afterthought. LBJ had Mission Control placed in Houston (and other NASA centers scattered around the country) because he knew that it would be more likely to get the program approved. Out of all that, came the greatest achievement in human history. We have been adrift as a nation, in many ways, since Nixon gave the ax to Apollo simply because he couldn't stand the fact that Kennedy's name would be associated with it, and not his. Neil might not like people using his name for political gain, but there's nothing any of us can do about that, its going to happen anyway. Far better that its used to promote the exploration of space, rather than simple jingoism and meaningless flag waving, which is what is most likely going to happen.

grapes
2012-Aug-30, 02:07 AM
or being raised to a demi-god like status after he was dead. But I have to believe that he would rather have that, than have our society slouch towards Idiocracy-like conditions at Warp 9, as it seems to be now doing.
Maybe it's just me, but I view the first there as an example of the second.

Tuckerfan
2012-Aug-30, 02:26 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I view the first there as an example of the second.

Given that we currently accord such status to "reality TV" stars, while cutting funding for things like education, I have to disagree.

WaxRubiks
2012-Aug-30, 03:11 AM

who would know if they sent the ashes of a dead donkey, instead, and leave his ashes in peace on Earth?

Tuckerfan
2012-Aug-30, 03:23 AM
who would know if they sent the ashes of a dead donkey, instead, and leave his ashes in peace on Earth?
Only those people directly involved. Potentially one of them might talk.

NEOWatcher
2012-Aug-30, 12:46 PM
Frankly, I'm appalled that our society has decided to elevate people the likes of Snooki and "The Situation" and the Kardashians to celebrity status. I'm appalled that there are politicians who are able to have a successful career despite publicly proclaiming that they don't believe in facts which have been clearly established by science for decades or even longer.
I am too, but I don't think that applies here. Read on...

Police, firemen, doctors, nurses, and members of the military are "just doing their job" when they run into dangerous situations. Far too often, we fail to honor them, when they make the ultimate sacrifice (or ignore them when they come back from their jobs with serious injuries or emotional trauma).
I am all for honoring the people in many ways, but personal remains are just that... personal.

Just like we can't go against the wishes of a live patient in regards to thier body, I feel that we should respect the same after death.

But I have to believe that he would rather have that, than have our society slouch towards Idiocracy-like conditions at Warp 9, as it seems to be now doing.
So; scattering his ashes is going to solve the world's problems?
Sure; it may uplift some people's spirits, but it will not even be a blip.

Let's honor him in a large way, but not in a way that's disrespectful to his wishes.

Solfe
2012-Aug-31, 01:19 AM
Whatever the family does with his remains, I am sure it will be just fine.

I can't even see sending all of his ashes to the moon, even if they wished. To my understanding, it is far too expensive. Perhaps such a burial is far too "final" for the family.

schlaugh
2012-Aug-31, 01:34 AM
I'd like to see a special interment in Arlington National Cemetery. Ideally near the JFK flame, to create a kind of historical closed loop.

DonM435
2012-Aug-31, 02:31 AM
I'm sure that the idea of sending him back to the Moon is well-meaning.

But we should be focusing on his inspiration rather than his remains.

R.A.F.
2012-Aug-31, 02:46 AM

Really?....you propose that the family has no rights in the matter?

Seriously??

sirius0
2012-Sep-14, 01:13 PM
Seems to me this thread is about feeling rather than thinking or logic.

My feeling is that sending him "back" would be like a retrospective failure of the mission. 50% of that trip being a success was humanities ability to not only send people to the Moon but to get them home again. I know i am not making sense but it just feels wrong, he succeeded in part by returning home to his family. Let us leave him with his family; who after all suggested that if we want to honour him we should just wink at the Moon.

If it is true that we replace our bodies every seven years then really there isn't anything to send back. The only real remains that any person has is the memories of those who knew them and the evidence of their dialogue with the Universe. In the case of Neil we have footprints that only look minutes old on the Moon and his excellent example to us all. Well done Neil!