PDA

View Full Version : What effects did Pistol Star explosions have on Earth?

gdaniels99
2012-Aug-30, 09:44 PM
4,000-6,000 years ago the Pistol Star is said to have ejected "almost 10 solar masses of material in giant outbursts." Since this was within the time period of written records, does anyone know of any ancient civilization that may have recorded this event? Would these explosions have been visible on earth? (I know the star is presently not visible due to all this matter that was ejected now shrouds the star.) Would it have appeared as a bright blue star between the constellations Scorpius and Sagittarius near the Galactic Center? Would these eruptions have been accompanied by increased gamma rays, etc and thus detectable as a spike in Beryllium10 in the ice cores? Or would there have been no effects on earth at all?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_Star

antoniseb
2012-Aug-30, 10:07 PM
Given its distance, it is doubtful it would have appeared as anything particularly noteworthy.

ctcoker
2012-Aug-30, 11:53 PM
Well, if it weren't for all the interstellar dust in the way, it would be a fourth magnitude star according to Wiki; I imagine the outbursts would be noticed in that case. Since there is all that interstellar dust in the way, though, the outbursts would have been completely invisible. Even supernovae behind that much extinction (something like 30 magnitudes worth!) are basically invisible. The increase in cosmic ray flux from such an event would be hardly worth mentioning; I would go with "no detectable effects on Earth whatever."