PDA

View Full Version : American Stupidity

DoggerDan
2012-Aug-30, 11:19 PM
Link (http://news.yahoo.com/water-released-isaac-stressed-dam-201304711.html).

The Army Corps of Engineers is batting 0.00. After spending BILLIONS of OUR taxpayer dollars, it looks like portions of New Orleans might flood once again, this time in a CAT 1 hurricane vs Katrina's CAT 4 status when it made landfall seven years ago. Back when I lived in New Orleans (well, next door, in Slidell), it weathered two CAT 3 hurricanes with aplomb, so I ask you:

Where did those BILLIONS of dollars actually go? A levy has ALREADY breached in Plaquemines Parish. Nice...

Here's a thought: Let's NOT pour a single freakin' NICKEL of U.S. dollars towards New Orleans or Southern Louisiana. Let nature take it's course. If people want to live in a flood zone, so be it - they can build their houses on stilts like SANE people do. If they want to live below sea level, THEY can pay for the dams, levees, and the destruction when they're overrun.

The 99% of Americans who choose to live above the high-water mark should NOT be paying to rescue idiots.

Anyone else with me on this?

Years ago, back in the 1970s, my father told me: "Don't buy or build your house on a FLOOD PLAIN." Uh, DUH!!! I've lived in Florida most of my life, in hurricane-prone areas, and have weathered the full force of half a dozen of them! Very little damage, and I was NEVER flooded.

So why are my taxpayer dollars being spent rescuing the IDIOTS who keep building their homes in the path of predictable mass destruction?

Buttercup
2012-Aug-30, 11:29 PM
That's also occurred to me.

However, they could use the same argument (sort of) about people who live in Tornado Alley. Or southern California (earthquakes/wildfires/landslides).

PetersCreek
2012-Aug-30, 11:32 PM
Closed pending moderator discussion.

Swift
2012-Aug-31, 03:44 AM
After discussion among the moderators, DoggerDan has been infracted (politics and inflammatory) and the points have resulted in his suspension. This thread will not be reopened.