PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Driver on the Interstate

blueshift
2012-Sep-09, 05:15 AM
An old man was driving along the interstate when his cell phone starts ringing. His wife was concerned.

"Honey, are you driving on I-90 right now?"

"Yeah. What of it?"

"Well, the news media just reported that one crazy driver is going at high speed in the wrong direction."

" What do you mean ONE? I see all kinds of crazy drivers going in the wrong direction!"

slang
2012-Sep-09, 06:51 PM
Hah. 77 year old man and his wife were pulled from an Interstate-like road here yesterday, driving against traffic on the emergency lane, in a tiny 50cc powered ... I'd say car, but it is really a 4 wheel moped with a body around it. They got confused, had taken a wrong turn and decided to drive back... These vehicles are not even allowed on such roads driving in the right direction. Police revoked his drivers license.

Nowhere Man
2012-Sep-09, 07:48 PM
"When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep, like my grandpa did. Not screaming in terror like his passengers..."

From Laurie Anderson's United States:

There was an old couple who decided to drive cross country in their car. Both of them were almost legally deaf. About ten miles away from home, the burglar alarm for their car door went off and got stuck in the “on” position. They drove all the way to San Francisco like this. You could hear them coming from three miles away.

The alarm didn’t seem to bother the old woman at all. She thought it was sort of pleasant. Near Chicago, she said to her husband, “It sounds like faraway bees on a summer day.”

Her husband said, “What?”

Fred

pzkpfw
2012-Sep-09, 08:29 PM
We've had a couple of deaths that way lately. People (sometimes drunk, sometimes elderly) simply drive down a motorway off-ramp, thinking it's an on-ramp. Somehow don't notice until too late.

The authorities talk about adding more signs, but unless there is some kind of direct-acting technology (like those tyre shredding things at the entrance of Homer Simpsons workplace) there's not much that can be done to stop people...

Ara Pacis
2012-Sep-10, 08:42 AM
A police officer was killed blocking traffic at an on-ramp for the Presidental motorcade yesterday, I think, but that was I-95.

blueshift
2012-Sep-10, 03:40 PM
Ara, that is tough to hear. A lot of road workers are getting hit as well. It seems that too many cones or barrels confuse many drivers and they can panic if they don't see the opening to their exit in time.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Sep-13, 12:41 PM
We've had a couple of deaths that way lately. People (sometimes drunk, sometimes elderly) simply drive down a motorway off-ramp, thinking it's an on-ramp. Somehow don't notice until too late.

The authorities talk about adding more signs, but unless there is some kind of direct-acting technology (like those tyre shredding things at the entrance of Homer Simpsons workplace) there's not much that can be done to stop people...
We've had a couple of those incidents in Denmark as well, seems like one of the main causes is people blindly or confusedly following their GPS's directions and taking the wrong ramp , sometimes because the ramp had been relocated while the GPS map wasn't updated, sometimes because the GPS genuinely led them down the off ramp..

Perikles
2012-Sep-13, 05:00 PM
seems like one of the main causes is people blindly or confusedly following their GPS's directions ...Wasn't there a case like that recently in Germany when a couple almost drowned? They followed their GPS blindly and drove into some stretch of water. The GPS failed to tell them they needed to wait for a ferry. (seriously)

NEOWatcher
2012-Sep-13, 05:23 PM
Wasn't there a case like that recently in Germany when a couple almost drowned? They followed their GPS blindly and drove into some stretch of water. The GPS failed to tell them they needed to wait for a ferry. (seriously)
... and onto RR tracks, into snow drifts, into flood water, etc.
Somewhere around here I also remember seeing a story about some couple driving to a city in an entirely different country.

Moose
2012-Sep-13, 05:34 PM
My father's GPS once told me: "In one hundred meters, go off road."

Swift
2012-Sep-13, 10:21 PM
Ara, that is tough to hear. A lot of road workers are getting hit as well. It seems that too many cones or barrels confuse many drivers and they can panic if they don't see the opening to their exit in time.
We have a big problem with people speeding in construction zones. I regularly see people going faster than what the non-construction limit would be.

danscope
2012-Sep-14, 01:41 AM
" Construction zone . Speeding fines Doubled ! " . They have Beeeeg fines around here for that sort of thing.
Be nice or ride the bus . Insurance companies take note.

Nicolas
2012-Sep-14, 02:42 PM
Today, I saw a car standing still at the very end of the on-ramp. The driver was happily asleep behind the wheel. Apparently he feel asleep while waiting for a gap in the traffic jam to enter.