PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Asteroid Mappers: Vesta Edition!

KnowTheCosmos
2012-Sep-09, 08:25 AM
As I'm sure many of you are aware, CosmoQuest's Asteroid Mappers -- Vesta Edition (http://cosmoquest.org/blog/2012/09/announcing-asteroid-mappers/) went live on 9/8/2012.

We ushered in this new citizen science project with a Google+ Hangout On Air (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqIszii4H0c&feature=player_embedded) featuring many of science and engineering team members from across the world who had their hand in getting the Dawn Spacecraft to Vesta or in the capturing and disseminating of data taken by Dawn while there.

We're all very excited to have a new way for all of you to do amazing things and have your hand in scientific research! So please have fun, do science, and as always, be remarkable! :D

http://cosmoquest.org/mappers/vesta/

Daggerstab
2012-Sep-09, 02:20 PM
A minor bug: there is a link to Vesta Mappers in the Do Science menu in the top bar on the main CosmoQuest website, but not in the same menu on the forum - it shows only Moon Mappers and Ice Investigators.

kmasterdo
2012-Sep-09, 07:08 PM
Welcome from me, too! Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have. :)

(Bug forwarded to the team.)

Shigeru
2012-Sep-09, 08:36 PM
Already marking Vesta craters, thanks for this awesome opportunity!

econseil
2012-Sep-10, 10:16 AM
Dawn is just gone and we already have data, that's cool !
I tried it on a few images. That runs perfectly.

gonano
2012-Sep-10, 11:22 AM
Hy to all, i've resolved a little problem: changing browser, it's coming out the own name in the work vesta page.
I wrote this if it could come out a thread that i wrote a little time ago.
Excuse me for the disturb.

Only It could lack the vesta stat to be perfect :-)))) but great work to all the team

Cheers Gonano.

kmasterdo
2012-Sep-10, 01:31 PM
Hi gonano, the team is already working on the statistics for Asteroid Mappers. :)

Shigeru
2012-Sep-10, 02:25 PM
Hi gonano, the team is already working on the statistics for Asteroid Mappers.

I was going to ask the same thing that gonano, thanks for the info kmasterdo! :)

gonano
2012-Sep-11, 08:58 AM
thanks Kmasterdo and your team.
Cheers Gonano.

kmasterdo
2012-Sep-11, 10:27 AM
I'm not part of the build/science team, I just pass on the information... :)

kmasterdo
2012-Sep-11, 01:06 PM
Update: gonano, I just saw that the statistics are working now (at least on my personal statistics page).

Shigeru
2012-Sep-11, 08:38 PM
Update: gonano, I just saw that the statistics are working now (at least on my personal statistics page).

Yes, I can see the statistics too. A question about that: When it's says "Total images completed" in a project, that means images checked enough times by different users?

kmasterdo
2012-Sep-11, 08:44 PM
When it's says "Total images completed" in a project, that means images checked enough times by different users?

I think so, but I'll check with the build team.

kmasterdo
2012-Sep-12, 05:38 AM
When it's says "Total images completed" in a project, that means images checked enough times by different users?

I asked StarStryder, and the statistics work this way: If there are 10 different snap shots of Vesta, each goes into the system 15 times, and we need 150 images to be "Done Working".

Shigeru
2012-Sep-12, 01:34 PM
I asked StarStryder, and the statistics work this way: If there are 10 different snap shots of Vesta, each goes into the system 15 times, and we need 150 images to be "Done Working".

Very interesting, now I understand better, thanks! :)

Kokahen
2012-Sep-23, 02:07 PM
It would be nice to hear some general information about Vesta mapping project, i mean when we map part of surface (or the hall thing) is it intended to be used in some specialized research, or we just making crater map? If so, why team cannot just wait NASA to make they own much accurate map? Or they will not share? Sorry if i miss answers somewhere on web site, but iv looked through and find nothing.