PDA

View Full Version : Does QED explain superconductivity?

ShinAce
2012-Sep-11, 04:50 PM
Title says it all. I find it amazing that QED can explain so much, and physicists(myself included) seem arrogant in its predictive power, yet I still don't see how it explains superconductivity.

Things like the supercurrent, two electrons travel together in superconductors instead of the usual one at a time.

And the fact that a DC potential across superconductors can create an oscillating current.

And then there's type I vs type II superconductors. Does QED help explain why one type excludes magnetic fields completely, and the other type allows the field to pass in filaments.

Has the application of QED to superconductivity had success?

cjameshuff
2012-Sep-15, 02:23 AM
There's several different kinds of superconductivity, and there's workable models for some but not for others. The formation of Cooper pairs in particular is described by BCS theory, which is pretty solidly a quantum theory. The behavior of Cooper pairs in superconductors is even used to create artificial "atoms" used in studying QED: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_quantum_electrodynamics

I don't know what you refer to by DC potentials producing oscillation...superconductors can not support DC potentials. The difference in behavior in magnetic fields is at least partially explained as formation of quantized vortices in the Cooper pair superfluid.