PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactia - The Series - Some minor spoilers

scotsman
2004-Oct-19, 07:33 AM
The Galactica series started last night here in the UK, and since its a world premier I believe It falls to us UK fans to post some thoughts ...

Good - a sense of rerality unknown in most Science fiction seies, the episode opens 130 hours after the end of the mini-series, 237 FTL jumps and the Cylons are still chasing them, the crews are tired and look it. The equipment andd people and starting to fall apart under the strain.

One whole corridor on the Galactia is a shrine to those who died , rather like the 9/11 tributes in New York overall a very impressive feeling of loss and brievement.

The fights are fast and brutal, with the vipers being fast and agressive , but massivly outnumbered, the good guys don't always win... but they do survive, Just .......

Also good, a feeling of confusion and paranoia, who's the enemy and how do you tell them from the good guys - See the last 15 minutes...

Bad - Nothing reeally, if you accept FTL "jumps", and I'm prepared to live with that ....

My wife , who really dosen't like Sci-Fi was the one nudging me , and telling me how good it was ... :o

Swift
2004-Oct-19, 04:06 PM
SciFi channel is advertising it in the US for (IIRC) a January release. Don't spoil it too much for us. :D

HAVOC451
2004-Oct-20, 09:36 AM
Arrggg I just can't wait!
I am so looking forward to this. :D

M_Welander
2004-Oct-30, 05:08 PM
1x02 Good: The visual effect of water boiling into interstellar space and then freezing - except for the light, of course.
1x02 Bad: 80% of the planetary systems in the current sector do not have any significant amount of water molecules in them.

johnwitts
2004-Oct-31, 05:51 PM
1x02 Bad: 80% of the planetary systems in the current sector do not have any significant amount of water molecules in them.

Why bad?

M_Welander
2004-Oct-31, 06:31 PM
Because water isn't exactly uncomon. You'll most likely find it in some amount in comets and (if there's a planetary system) icy moons or possibly planets among most stars, and sometimes you'll probably find it in froozen dirt or even liquid state. In fact, I'd guess very close to 100% of all stars out there have water around them in some way or another. Not necessarily as much water as we have in our plantery system, but certainly enough for the purposes of this episode.

AstroSmurf
2004-Nov-01, 08:00 AM
You might actually say that it's difficult to run a normal star without some O being created. And where there's O and H, some of that sneaky hydroxylic acid will sneak in... :wink:

johnwitts
2004-Nov-01, 03:00 PM
You might actually say that it's difficult to run a normal star without some O being created. And where there's O and H, some of that sneaky hydroxylic acid will sneak in... :wink:

Unless these are first generation stars. We have no idea where BSG is set, so it could be a water poor part of the galaxy.

M_Welander
2004-Nov-01, 03:41 PM
I can't say for sure, but I don't feel that explanation works well in the context of the show.

For one thing, they're just two episodes into the series, so they can't have travelled that far from their home region of the galaxy, which as we have seen is quite rich in water.

For another thing, we're talking about stars with planetery systems here, not just stars in general. We've seen the worlds in this sector of space, and they don't look like worlds that would form around a first generation star. A first generation star probably wouldn't form much more than gas giants if they'd form a planetary system at all, which proves this is not an old region of the galaxy, since there are most certainly icy moons in the planetary system they're showing. Now, icy moons can't really be made out of that many different substances - if they're not made of water, ammonia, methane or carbon dioxide ice are likely candidates. But if the star system is young enough to contain substances like those, it's probably young enough to contain water as well.

I admit, though, that the second reason is a bit vague, since it is in fact in the planetary system they show they do find water. I still feel it's unlikely water would be so uncommon in a plantary system that you'd have to be within a kilometer of it to even detect it. If an icy moon can form, there certainly will be enough water in the system that all water won't be concentrated in a single spot on a single body. Even if that body is made mostly of non-water ice, there certainly must be other bodies containing water as well.

johnwitts
2004-Nov-01, 05:02 PM
I can't say for sure, but I don't feel that explanation works well in the context of the show.

For one thing, they're just two episodes into the series, so they can't have travelled that far from their home region of the galaxy, which as we have seen is quite rich in water.

For another thing, we're talking about stars with planetery systems here, not just stars in general. We've seen the worlds in this sector of space, and they don't look like worlds that would form around a first generation star. A first generation star probably wouldn't form much more than gas giants if they'd form a planetary system at all, which proves this is not an old region of the galaxy, since there are most certainly icy moons in the planetary system they're showing. Now, icy moons can't really be made out of that many different substances - if they're not made of water, ammonia, methane or carbon dioxide ice are likely candidates. But if the star system is young enough to contain substances like those, it's probably young enough to contain water as well.

I admit, though, that the second reason is a bit vague, since it is in fact in the planetary system they show they do find water. I still feel it's unlikely water would be so uncommon in a plantary system that you'd have to be within a kilometer of it to even detect it. If an icy moon can form, there certainly will be enough water in the system that all water won't be concentrated in a single spot on a single body. Even if that body is made mostly of non-water ice, there certainly must be other bodies containing water as well.

Still, I hardly think it's Bad Astronomy. They could only detect 5 systems likely to have planets with water. Of those, only one did have water. My guess is that Colonal Tigh would have better knowledge and experience of their area of space than we can do by guessing.

M_Welander
2004-Nov-01, 07:12 PM
I believe good astronomy not only means an astronomical aspect is potentially possible, but also that it is either reasonably likely, or there is an explanation for it or the fact that it is unlikely is mentioned.

I'm not saying the episode was impossible. I'm just saying it was improbable, and they didn't seem to be aware of it. I feel it would have been more realistic to let them loose their fusion fuel or whatever instead, and have them search for hydrogen of a particular isotope ratio, or something like that.

scotsman
2004-Nov-02, 10:19 AM
Episode 1-3 shopwn last night in the UK - a thought occured to me watching it

"Who knew Richard Hatch, (the original APOLLO), could actually act" :o

SpacedOut
2004-Nov-02, 09:02 PM
Episode 1-3 shopwn last night in the UK - a thought occured to me watching it

"Who knew Richard Hatch, (the original APOLLO), could actually act" :o

I'm hoping this means he was in the episode and was really good.

Bounced Check
2004-Nov-02, 09:23 PM
Haven't seen the series yet, though I could tell that the "mini-series" was nothing more than a teaser/pilot for the new show.

If you want SERIOUSLY hard game play , try the new battlestar galactica game. I've got it for the PS2 and it is HARD! Even setting it on "normal" vs "expert" I havent' been able to get much more than two scenes into the thing.

scotsman
2004-Nov-03, 10:54 AM

Yes and yes :D

Sleepy
2004-Nov-03, 11:38 AM

Yes and yes :DSeconded

eburacum45
2004-Nov-04, 12:45 PM
I think systems without water (or rather without ice) will be very rare; our own system has water galore in the outer ice moons.

The only water poor systems will be very old systems with gas giants formed through disk instability- these systems will have no moons or solid planets at all.