PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been to "Fallingwater" ?

jfribrg
2012-Sep-14, 11:43 PM
Fallingwater (http://www.fallingwater.org/) is a famous building in Pennsylvania designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. In a few weeks, I may be passing through the area and I'm wondering if it is worth the visit. I'm not a huge fan of architecture, but this building seems to be very unique. I'm not interested in the super deluxe tour, but if it's worth it, I may be willing to invest an hour (and $20) in the regular tour. Has anyone here taken this tour? If so, was it worth it? I believe that you can see the outside without paying. Is the view from the inside worth the hour tour?

swampyankee
2012-Sep-14, 11:53 PM
Fallingwater (http://www.fallingwater.org/) is a famous building in Pennsylvania designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. In a few weeks, I may be passing through the area and I'm wondering if it is worth the visit. I'm not a huge fan of architecture, but this building seems to be very unique. I'm not interested in the super deluxe tour, but if it's worth it, I may be willing to invest an hour (and $20) in the regular tour. Has anyone here taken this tour? If so, was it worth it? I believe that you can see the outside without paying. Is the view from the inside worth the hour tour?

I've not seen it, nor am I likely to, but I'd like a review. I have heard that many architects feel the building is lovely, but a functional failure. I've also heard the same thing about the Johnson Wax building in Racine.

Trebuchet
2012-Sep-15, 01:09 AM
I have heard that many architects feel the building is lovely, but a functional failure.

I've heard that's typical of many Wright designed buildings. Form trumps function.

Swift
2012-Sep-15, 01:10 AM
My wife and I were there, probably about ten years ago. We are architecture fans so we thought it very worthwhile. I don't know if others would feel the same.

We did the deluxe tour. At the time you couldn't take pictures on the regular tour, but you could on the deluxe.

KaiYeves
2012-Sep-15, 01:41 AM
About ten years ago, my father was taking summer classes at a theological school in the area, so our family visited twice. I enjoyed it a lot, even though I was only 8 or 9. It's a really beautiful place.

infinite tao
2012-Sep-15, 02:08 AM
Newb here, think this is my first post despite being an avid lurker. I live about 2 1/2 hours north of "Falling Water" and the nearby State Park Ohiopyle. We have visited both; Falling Water twice and Ohiopyle State Park five times. if you haven't been there before and are interested in Frank Loyd Wright's works or architecture in general then you will find it to be worth visiting. Since it is so near Ohiopyle, I suggest taking time to visit it also. If you are interested in kayaking or hiking you will love Ohiopyle. If you enjoy the beautiful fall foilage in PA, schedule your trip during the peak foilage weeks.

swampyankee
2012-Sep-15, 11:36 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright's work includes a lot of houses in Oak Park, Illinois. A lot of architecture students were in my fraternity (I went to Illinois Inst of Technology, which is one of the premier architecture schools in the US, so FLRFLW was not an uncommon topic of conversation. So, for that matter, were Louis Sullivan, Le Corbusier, and, of course, Mies van der Rohe and the Bauhaus.

Cougar
2012-Sep-16, 04:12 PM
At the time you couldn't take pictures on the regular tour, but you could on the deluxe.

Wow. (http://www.fallingwater.org/) I would think taking photos would be a necessity.

grapes
2012-Sep-16, 04:56 PM
Hence, why they can charge extra :)