PDA

View Full Version : Remember Captain Planet?

Mojo_the_Mi-Go
2004-Oct-20, 02:38 AM
A friend of mine were talking about this show, childen's cartoon where 5 teenagers get rings with powers of the 5 elements of Earth as well as summoning a super hero.

Its a childrens TV show in all, but do the scientists of the room believ these were good ways of presenting the issues to children? Aside from all the magic, the point of the show was to present problems with the enviroment. Are there any parents who watched it with their children? OR for the fact the show was bias on a lot, like global warming, didn't like their children watching it?

The Supreme Canuck
2004-Oct-20, 02:43 AM
I watched it as a kid. Didn't really learn anything, just liked the fights. :D

Ah, well. Maybe I've matured a bit...

Lycus
2004-Oct-20, 02:53 AM
I remember that show as a kid, too. I neither learned anything nor got into the action. I just thought it was a bad, boring show.

The Supreme Canuck
2004-Oct-20, 02:57 AM
Hey, to be fair I was only about five. Gimme a break. :P

Careless
2004-Oct-20, 03:11 AM
Well, the way they treat pollution in that show is a bit... screwy (although that's not quite right). If you can remember, the villains are truly villainous, evil people who want to pollute the earth and destroy life. I don't see how that's constructive.

tuffel999
2004-Oct-20, 03:36 AM
I try not to remmeber that stupid song

Captain planet he's our hero gonna take pollution down to zero..............

Great thanks for that :evil:

Humphrey
2004-Oct-20, 04:21 AM
I loved the show. :-)

Its ment for kids so its not ment to teach you the common elements in a plastic container and how they break down efficiently. ITs main purpose is to instill basic enviromentla techniques while telling a good story. Afterowords you get into the big stuff.

Lycus
2004-Oct-20, 04:47 AM
ITs main purpose is to instill basic enviromentla techniques while telling a good story.
Yeah, the "while telling a good story" part was the crucial part that was missing. :P

Mojo_the_Mi-Go
2004-Oct-20, 05:46 AM
Oh man, I am sorry about puting it in the wrong chat board...My bad.

I liked it as a kid for the fights too, I always thought real issues were for boring old adults. Let them figure out whats wrong and let me see fight scenes.

And yeah, I know there isn't a lot of "real" science or anything, I was curiouse of there were some parents who are/were big on science and the enviroment and liked to see their kids watch it and vice versa.

mickal555
2004-Oct-20, 05:50 AM
Yeah I watched that but it was one of those fill in the day shows I did't lern anything and i did't like the fights much they were boring saying stupid lines. My faverate show was the magic school bus. :oops:

devilnuts
2004-Oct-20, 06:51 AM
Didn't they resurrect that show in the form of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers? lmao :lol:

Glom
2004-Oct-20, 08:46 AM
I can't remember, but did they trot out the usual environmentalist "anything good for business is bad for the environment" attitude, such as sewage treatment works for water companies? Damn that Thames Water for cleaning the water supply.

Down with sewage treatment! We support cholera! Greenpeace!

JonClarke
2004-Oct-20, 09:45 AM
My kids loved it. It was harmless enough,and may even have done some good.

Jon

Humphrey
2004-Oct-20, 01:05 PM
Yeah, the "while telling a good story" part was the crucial part that was missing. :P

[crosses arms, points nose into air]
[little kids voice]Nuh huh! It wuz awesome! [/little kids voice]

Starbuck
2004-Oct-20, 01:53 PM
I'm just sorry Linka and Wheeler never got together.
8-[
I'm.. gonna.. go to work... now...

Alan
2004-Oct-20, 02:11 PM
Here is a review of some of their cartoons

http://www.jabootu.com/capplanet.htm

The only one I can remember had the villian collecting refrigerators and cutting them open to release the freon into the air - for no reason whatsoever - just to let the planeteers lecture about the evils of the ozone hole.

Humphrey
2004-Oct-20, 02:43 PM
I'm just sorry Linka and Wheeler never got together.
8-[
I'm.. gonna.. go to work... now...[enter geek mode]

WEeeelll......in one episode they show a possible future and they have children soo.....

[exit geek mode]

Captain Kidd
2004-Oct-20, 04:08 PM
It still comes on on Cartoon Network here at 5 or 5:30 am. I was flipping channels one morning while I was trying to figure out what in the world made me choose to leave for work at 6am every day (then I came in at 7 today and took twice as long due to the extra traffic, nice reminder).

Anyways, I came across it and thought "wow, one of my kiddie shows is on, what could it hurt to watch a few minutes." It was the soapbox lecture segment at the end and it just happened to be on nuclear power. I didn't need the rest of my coffee to wake up after that. Now I understand why there's still such a np phobie amoung the general populace. :roll: Thankfully I was a bit smarter as a kid than the producers expected cause now I work at one. ...maybe it was reverse psychology... :-k Hmm, maybe that's why one of my wife's friends honestly wanted to know how many mutant fish we catch at the water discharge channels... #-o

Glom
2004-Oct-20, 04:12 PM
What did they spew? The mutant fish argument? Thanks for reminding me about that. I'm working on the pollution page now. I'll put that in.

Who wants to bet that the writers have Greenpeace connections? Letting Greenpeace educate our young on the environment is like letting Hitler educate our young on genetics. Sure they like to think they know about the subject, but in truth what they know if simpy want they want to believe, which is anything that supports their ideological agenda.

Humphrey
2004-Oct-20, 04:42 PM
From: http://www.toonarific.com/show.php?s_search=captain+planet&Button_Update=Go& show_id=672

Cast:
Captain Planet - David Coburn
Gaia - Whoopi Goldberg, Margot Kidder
Kwame - LeVar Burton
Wheeler - Joey Dedio
Linka - Kathy Soucie
Gi - Janice Kawaye
Ma-Ti - Scott Menville
Suchi - Frank Welker
Hoggish Greedly - Edward Asner
Dr. Blight - Mary Kay Bergman, Meg Ryan
Ooze - Cam Clarke
Sly Sludge - Jim Cummings, Martin Sheen
Mal - Tim Curry
Looten Plunder - Ed Gilbert, James Coburn
Verminous Skumm - Jeff Goldblum
Duke Nukem - Dean Stockwell
Alien Zarm - Sting

Others inlcued Martin sheen, Jeff Goldblum, .
Some surprisingly big names there

No onformation on Writers or Producers. But its was made by Hannah-barbera and DiC.

IMDB has this on the writiers:
David Ehrman

Glom
2004-Oct-20, 04:51 PM
LeVar Burton? He plays an engineer who works on a matter/antimatter power plant. Now that thing is dangerous. Such hypocrisy.

mickal555
2004-Oct-21, 05:33 AM
Well, the way they treat pollution in that show is a bit... screwy (although that's not quite right). If you can remember, the villains are truly villainous, evil people who want to pollute the earth and destroy life. I don't see how that's constructive.

Yeah but somtimes kids (and adults) can only see one side of the argument like a goddie and a badie and it makes it too difficult, to put down two sides of a story, but i did still think it was strange.

Ut
2004-Oct-21, 06:02 AM
Hey, it was better than the Smoggies. I don't see what all the fussing is about...

Captain Kidd
2004-Oct-21, 11:15 AM
Hey, it was better than the Smoggies. I don't see what all the fussing is about...The who?

Doodler
2004-Oct-21, 02:02 PM
Ugh, and to think of all the years it took to successfully repress the memory of this atrocious ultra-left wing nightmare.

It was like Fahrenheit 9/11 for the environment.

Humphrey
2004-Oct-21, 02:34 PM
Hey, it was better than the Smoggies. I don't see what all the fussing is about...

Heh i remember those.

I forget. Why didn't that ship of bad guys ever leave?

-----------------------------

Doodler, please don't turn this political.

Ut
2004-Oct-21, 04:39 PM
*shrug*

If they were perfectly happy living on a boat, why did they keep trying to come ashore?

Brett-NZ
2004-Oct-22, 07:42 AM

Oh no, it's all coming back to me...

<shudders>

Horrible little dwarves...

§rv
2004-Oct-22, 08:45 PM
EEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKK!!!
I loved CP soooooo much. But one thing I never understood was the spanish boy whose ring was heart. What exactly was his power? #-o

Nereth
2004-Oct-22, 08:55 PM
EEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKK!!!
I loved CP soooooo much. But one thing I never understood was the spanish boy whose ring was heart. What exactly was his power? #-o

Heart! He had the power of compasion and could communicate with animals.

http://www.turner.com/planet/static/ma-ti.html