PDA

View Full Version : Something special happening on XKCD today...

Moose
2012-Sep-19, 11:55 AM
Hint: (http://xkcd.com/1110/) drag. [Edit: And warning... You'll be a while.]

Tog
2012-Sep-19, 12:02 PM
I spent about 20 minutes exploring. I made it to the far left edge, and I probably got to the bottom of the tunnels.

Moose
2012-Sep-19, 12:05 PM
I found the right hand border, and I _think_ I was close to the center of the world. Following the surface to the left now. And I wonder how high I'll have to go to see the top border, and what will be there? [Found the left border. Edit: Nothing in space so far, and I dunno how I'll know when I've reached the border.] [Edit again: There's stuff in the sky.]

grapes
2012-Sep-19, 12:57 PM
There's another balloon close by, and far up and to the right is a falling Icarus, saying "I only hope the story of how building wax wings enabled me to fly teaches everyone a lesson about hubris."

ETA: And directly way above that, is Apollo 13, apparently just off the launch pad, saying "Houston, we have a problem" and getting the response "That's a negative, Apollo. There are no problems--only opportunities. Over."

Moose
2012-Sep-19, 01:10 PM
To the left of the balloon, there's an x-wing saying something about being above the imperial cannons (and canons).

grapes
2012-Sep-19, 01:14 PM
Which balloon? :)

The only two I've seen so far are the one the character is hanging onto, and another just a little bit up and to the right of the initial frame.

Moose
2012-Sep-19, 01:16 PM
The mongolfière. Left and up, actually.

Rhaedas
2012-Sep-19, 01:41 PM
To the left of the balloon, there's an x-wing saying something about being above the imperial cannons (and canons).

Ah, to match the other X-wing. I swear this morning I spent 20 good minutes scrolling, and had to force myself to stop before I was late for work.

Noclevername
2012-Sep-19, 02:20 PM
xkcd, contributing to repetetive-motion injuries since 2005.

Grey
2012-Sep-19, 04:37 PM
For those that like a map, rather than wandering aimlessly, someone has, of course, built one (http://xkcd-map.rent-a-geek.de/).

Moose
2012-Sep-19, 04:59 PM
It's a great map for when you want to see what you missed, but I really do suggest exploring aimlessly for at least a half hour. The carpal tunnel is a necessary part of the experience. *chuckle*

Strange
2012-Sep-19, 05:09 PM
There is speculation on the xkcd forum that this (or the next, #1111) may be his final comic. The amount of "interpretation" going on to support this idea would make the Conspiracy sub-forum proud! One "clue" is http://www.xkcd.com/1/

Perikles
2012-Sep-19, 05:10 PM
For those that like a map, rather than wandering aimlessly, someone has, of course, built one (http://xkcd-map.rent-a-geek.de/).The link doesn't seem to work for me. Perhaps too much traffic. :rofl:

Grey
2012-Sep-19, 05:40 PM
It's a great map for when you want to see what you missed, but I really do suggest exploring aimlessly for at least a half hour. The carpal tunnel is a necessary part of the experience. *chuckle*I absolutely agree. I spent maybe half an hour wandering, but I didn't want to spend all day scrolling meticulously through the large white and black areas to find all the things that I was sure I had missed. :)

starcanuck64
2012-Sep-19, 05:42 PM
There's also a system of subterranean tunnels.

great, now I'm lost deep underground.

Found an X-Wing in a shaft heading up, "Copy that Gold leader, I'm already on my way out"

Paul Beardsley
2012-Sep-19, 09:39 PM
A work of beauty. I am glad there are things like it in the world. Seriously.

Ara Pacis
2012-Sep-19, 10:35 PM
I just started and saw a weiner-mobile and was wondering if it was supposed to be politically topical. Also, I'm immediately reminded of a song from the Williams Brothers, which might reinforce the idea that he's going away.

Trebuchet
2012-Sep-20, 04:28 PM
Finally made it all the way to the western edge! Now I've got to work my way back to that island and start exploring the tunnel. I'm so far managing to resist looking at the "cheat" stuff. Loved the Saturn V, by the way! And the raptors, one of which is apparently feathered.

My wrist is tired.

Trebuchet
2012-Sep-20, 05:58 PM
You are in a maze of twisty little tunnels, all different....

Actually, I seem to be out. Somewhere far to the east of where I went in.

Ara Pacis
2012-Sep-20, 06:06 PM
Actually, I liked the cheat sheet. It worked like google maps. Zoom in, zoom out.

What's the deal with jellyfish?

Moose
2012-Sep-20, 07:17 PM
You are in a maze of twisty little tunnels, all different....

Actually, I seem to be out. Somewhere far to the east of where I went in.

There's really only one tunnel, with short offshoots now and again.

Trebuchet
2012-Sep-20, 07:22 PM
That's one big jellyfish!

All the way east, now. I seem to recall having passed another tunnel entry somewhere along the line, however. There's no much doubt I've missed some stuff in the sky or underground but scrolling around in the white or black spaces gets old pretty fast.

KaiYeves
2012-Sep-20, 08:28 PM
I went up the skyscraper and got lost in the sky. Really weird, I couldn't tell if my computer was having problems loading the picture or if I was still in the sky, so I was frantically scrolling for a while until I finally hit the ground.

Noclevername
2012-Sep-24, 02:22 AM
For those that like a map, rather than wandering aimlessly, someone has, of course, built one (http://xkcd-map.rent-a-geek.de/).

Unfortunately that link doesn't get me to the map. Anyone got another?

Trebuchet
2012-Sep-24, 03:31 AM
Unfortunately that link doesn't get me to the map. Anyone got another?

It works for me.

Kadava
2012-Sep-24, 04:15 AM
Are you using Internet Explorer? I got nothing with IE, but FireFox worked fine.

Trebuchet
2012-Sep-24, 04:53 AM
I'm using Chrome. I'll go try the others.

ETA: Works in FireFox, not in IE.