PDA

View Full Version : Sox win the World Series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2004-Oct-20, 10:37 AM
Eveyone that wants to see the Boston Red Sox win cross fingers and toes and post a GO SOX msg. here-

GO SOX!!!

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2004-Oct-20, 10:50 AM
I figure if we put enough good karma out there...

GO SOX!!!

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2004-Oct-20, 11:46 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/baseball/mlb/specials/postseason/2004/10/20/arod.play.ap/index.html

Ut
2004-Oct-20, 01:11 PM
You're going to need a LOT of good karma to overwhelm my spitefulness.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2004-Oct-20, 01:24 PM
You're going to need a LOT of good karma to overwhelm my spitefulness.

hewre...have some... :

:D :D :D

Gmann
2004-Oct-20, 01:27 PM
They are going to need more than Karma when they face the St. Louis Lumber Co.

ToSeek
2004-Oct-20, 01:32 PM
GO RED SOX!

Swift
2004-Oct-20, 01:34 PM
Down with the Yankees

Go Sox

Gmann
2004-Oct-20, 01:35 PM
I would like to see the Red Sox take it, but when they play either the Cards or the 'Stros, they are going to get smoked like a cheap cigar.

jfribrg
2004-Oct-21, 01:04 PM
I know it's late, but I was rooting for them. Honest I was. I always root for the team that is playing the Yankees. Nothing personal, mind you (I'm really a Phillies fan), but it is always nice to see another team win. Watching the heads roll at the hands of George Steinbrenner is gonna be fun too. The Phillies are looking for a new manager. Maybe Joe Torre will be out of work soon... :-k

GO SOX

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2004-Oct-21, 01:31 PM
:D :D :D :D
Go Sox!!!

Maksutov
2004-Oct-21, 01:37 PM
banquo,

are you perchance a Boston Red Sox fan, or do you just have a thing for foot garments? :D

ToSeek
2004-Oct-21, 01:38 PM
I would like to see the Red Sox take it, but when they play either the Cards or the 'Stros, they are going to get smoked like a cheap cigar.

Nah, these are the Red Sox. If they lose, it's got to be because of something excruciating in the sixth or seventh game, not because they get blown out.

Darkwing
2004-Oct-21, 01:56 PM

Tell that to the Yankees.

Normandy6644
2004-Oct-21, 02:15 PM

Tell that to the Yankees.

The Yankees would have been destroyed by the Cardinals or Astros too. :wink:

Maha Vailo
2004-Oct-21, 04:05 PM

I wouldn't bet the farm on it. If the Red Sox could perform a come-from-behind miracle like they did in the ALCS, then they could do anything.

- Maha "Curse? What's that?!?" Vailo

Gmann
2004-Oct-21, 04:17 PM
After watching the Sox play last night, and the reaction of the players. I am starting to rethink my original "cigar" comparison. The Sox have proven that they will simply will not go away in spite of knocking on death's door with a sledge hammer. All the yankees needed was a good pitch, a base hit, a passed ball....anything in the course of 4 games. They got nothing. This WS is going to be a barn burner. I still think the NL team will prevail in the end.

Humphrey
2004-Oct-21, 04:21 PM
I want them to win not because i like them, but because Rahcel likes the Yankees. So by the rules of marriage i must root for the other team.

iFire
2004-Oct-21, 04:24 PM
If I wasn't a Cardinal's fan I would have hoped for a Cubs/Sox world series.... Game 7, end of the 103rd day 19379832th inning, full count, bases loaded... zero to zero... Strike Three, and we go to the 19379833rd inning!

sts60
2004-Oct-21, 04:56 PM
Nah, you just described a soccer game.

Darkwing
2004-Oct-21, 04:59 PM
After watching the Sox play last night, and the reaction of the players. I am starting to rethink my original "cigar" comparison. The Sox have proven that they will simply will not go away in spite of knocking on death's door with a sledge hammer.

Yeah, they were knocking on Death's Door with a sledgehammer all right. And when Death opened the door, that sledgehammer hit him in the face.

Either way, this WS is shaping up to be a great one. And even if the Sox end up losing, they will have nothing to be ashamed of. They've already made history. My bet is that they're not quite done writing it.

Master258
2004-Oct-21, 05:14 PM
come on sox,
ALL THE WAY

iFire
2004-Oct-22, 04:53 AM
GO CARDINALS! 'Nuff said. 8)

Gmann
2004-Oct-22, 12:58 PM
Here is the secret to beating the Cards'. If there are men on base, tell the pitcher to throw a high fastball to Jim Edmonds, it works every time :wink:

Humphrey
2004-Oct-22, 02:07 PM
Here is the secret to beating the Cards'. If there are men on base, tell the pitcher to throw a high fastball to Jim Edmonds, it works every time :wink:That or let out a binch of Cats onto the field....

junkyardfrog
2004-Oct-24, 05:23 PM
Sox win 11 - 9. That's the most runs ever scored in a World Series game 1.

So how many of you believe in the Curse of the Bambino?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2004-Oct-25, 10:06 AM
:D :D

ToSeek
2004-Oct-25, 02:18 PM
Sox win 11 - 9. That's the most runs ever scored in a World Series game 1.

So how many of you believe in the Curse of the Bambino?

I don't, but some of the Red Sox players seem to (or used to), and it affects how they play - sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2004-Oct-27, 11:02 AM
:D :D :D

NASA Fan
2004-Oct-28, 04:25 AM
OK, the Sox won the World Series, now can we get back to regularly scheduled programming--I do not have cable, so it limits my choices when Baseball is on, especially when some of the other chanels choose to put re-runs on, because they do not want to compete against the game.

iFire
2004-Oct-28, 04:28 AM
Booo... Well... theres always next year... :cry:

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2004-Oct-28, 09:55 AM

Darkwing
2004-Oct-28, 12:32 PM
Four :D 's were all we needed! Woohoo!

kucharek
2004-Oct-28, 12:41 PM
Can someone please explain for someone who is generally challenged by sports - not only US: What's the big thing about the Red Sox winning and why is it called World Series when it seems to take place only in the US? :oops:

Wally
2004-Oct-28, 01:03 PM

Got any more predictions Gmann??? :lol:

Moose
2004-Oct-28, 01:07 PM
Can someone please explain for someone who is generally challenged by sports - not only US: What's the big thing about the Red Sox winning and why is it called World Series when it seems to take place only in the US? :oops:

Imagine you're Hoagland, and the manned mission that just landed on the farside was greeted by the lunarian welcoming committee offering a decorated green cheesecake, live on TV.

Okay. Got that?

[deadpan delivery] Given the last many decades, the Red Sox taking the series seemed to be about as likely, and the fans equally crazy for keeping up hope despite the long odds. [dd]

Wally
2004-Oct-28, 01:16 PM

The Sox haven't won a W.S. since 1918, just before they traded Babe Ruth to the Yankees. Fans figured the team was cursed for their stupidity.

N C More
2004-Oct-28, 01:19 PM
This says it all (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/). I live out in the country and last night the few cars that pass down my road were honking their horns! People here in Mass. are thrilled. My daughter attends U Mass. Amherst and she said the celebration went on all night!

Yeah, it's sort of is like having a Martian on CNN telling RCH he was correct! The only difference is that with the Red Sox it's for real!

Darkwing
2004-Oct-28, 02:35 PM

The Sox haven't won a W.S. since 1918, just before they traded Babe Ruth to the Yankees. Fans figured the team was cursed for their stupidity.

Yes, Wally's right. After trading Babe Ruth to the Yankees in 1920, the Yankees became the most dominant team in baseball, winning 26 World Series from 1923 to the present. The second most dominant team is the St. Louis Cardinals, who have won 9. The Red Sox were tied at third with a bunch of other teams at 5--now they are alone at third with 6 World Series Championships. It's such a big deal because the Sox haven't won it in 86 years, although they came close several times, and each time failed in a dramatically heart-breaking way. After so much heartbreak, it was a huge release for Red Sox fans who've been waiting so long for the Sox to finally go all the way.

It's called the World Series because in the early days, America was the only country who played baseball--so it seemed appropriate. I suppose if they called it the "USA Series", it would imply that there were other big baseball leagues elsewhere in the world. Then Canada got two teams (the Toronto Blue Jays and the Montreal Expos), making it truly international. This year, however, was the last for the Expos, as they are moving to Washington D.C.

kucharek
2004-Oct-28, 02:47 PM
Then Canada got two teams (the Toronto Blue Jays and the Montreal Expos), making it truly international. This year, however, was the last for the Expos, as they are moving to Washington D.C.
How is this to be understood? The whole team moves from one city to another? Are the teams "just" teams with no local connection but just having a homebase they change from time to time?

Moose
2004-Oct-28, 03:02 PM
Then Canada got two teams (the Toronto Blue Jays and the Montreal Expos), making it truly international. This year, however, was the last for the Expos, as they are moving to Washington D.C.
How is this to be understood? The whole team moves from one city to another? Are the teams "just" teams with no local connection but just having a homebase they change from time to time?

Essentially, yes, although fans (and some players?) would say there's an emotional connection involved.

Darkwing
2004-Oct-28, 03:33 PM

Each team is privately owned, and when owners change, sometimes the hometown does as well. For example, the Washington Senators was sold in the 60s (or was it early 70s), and was renamed the Texas Rangers. I guess the primary reason a team is sold & moves is due to a lack of profitability due to a small fan base. The Montreal Expos weren't exactly a great team, and attendance at the stadium was very low, averaging only a few thousand in a stadium that can hold well over 30,000. It got so bad that the owners sold the team to Major League Baseball as a whole, which has been subsidizing the team and looking for a new owner. It was so unprofitable that they decided to move the Expos to Washington D.C. Right now they are discussing what to rename the team to--right now they may become the "new" Washington Senators, once they purchase the rights for the team name from the Texas Rangers.

So basically as long as a team has a fanbase that will keep them afloat, the team will stay where it is.

In the early days the story was somewhat different--there used to be a time when the St. Louis Cardinals were both the southernmost and westernmost team in baseball. New York City was getting pretty crowded in terms of teams, so the Brooklyn Dodgers moved to Los Angeles, and the New York Giants moved to San Francisco. That brought baseball to the west coast. I imagine those moves were mainly driven by a need to tap into the thus far neglected west coast baseball fans, while not having to compete with the glut of teams in New York.

(I may have gotten some of my facts wrong, so if anyone knows better, please correct any mistakes I made)

Gmann
2004-Oct-28, 04:14 PM
Got any more predictions Gmann???

Tomorrow, partly cloudy with a high of 77, possible showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. I will be BBQ'ing in spite of this.

Boston's best free agent players are going to get sucked up in the off season by the Yankees. Money talks and...you know the rest.

As for the Stanley Cup, the winner is clear...nobody.

Moose
2004-Oct-28, 04:20 PM
Got any more predictions Gmann???
As for the Stanley Cup, the winner is clear...nobody.

To quote Greg Thomey (This Hour Has 22 Minutes) from back during the last hockey strike:

And now for tonight's hockey scores: ZERO! Ha ha!

Taibak
2004-Oct-29, 05:58 PM
How is this to be understood? The whole team moves from one city to another?

Yeah, pretty much. It's happened a bunch of times over the course of baseball history. The Athletics, Dodgers, Giants, Braves, Brewers, Twins, Rangers, Angels, Orioles, and even the Yankees have all moved out of their original cities. For the Angels, it just meant moving from Los Angeles out to the suburb of Anaheim. For the Athletics it's meant moving from Philiadelphia, to Kansas City, and, finally, to Oakland, California. What usually happens is that a team's owner decides he can make more money elsewhere, gets a city to build him a stadium (sad, but true), packs up the team, and goes. Sometimes, you can argue that a city just can't support a Major League team and that's pretty much the case with the Montreal Expos. After almost 20 years of poor teams, bizarre setbacks, and, above all else, mismanagement, they don't have much of a fan base left in Montreal. So Major League Baseball bought the team and has been running it for the past two years while trying to find a city that wants the team (Washington, DC) and people who want to buy them.

Are the teams "just" teams with no local connection but just having a homebase they change from time to time?

Well... it's a bit more complicated than that. From the owners' point of view, the teams are businesses and, not unreasonably, expect to have the right to move that business if they want. However, they also realise that in order to make money in sports, you have to cultivate a fan base. Now, sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't (the National Hockey League, for instance, is learning the hard way that Phoenix, Arizona is NOT an ice hockey town). With Montreal, the Expos managed to build a pretty good fan base over the first fifteen years of their existence but, like I said, managerial incompetence and ridiculously bad luck have destroyed that fan base since then. Similarly, it wasn't that big a deal when the Braves left Boston. The popularity of the Red Sox had pretty much forced the team out of the market. There's no point in a team staying in a city that just isn't interested.

On the other hand, loyalty for some clubs runs VERY deep. Red Sox and Cubs fans are easily the best examples. If either of those teams tried to move, their cities would riot. Similarly, Brooklyn was in mourning when the Dodgers moved out to L.A. To this day, you'll find New Yorkers who'll tell you that the Dodgers should never have left. Even for clubs that aren't as successful, if you can show your fans that the team can compete and has a chance at making the playoffs, you will continue to grow your fan base. The Twins and Indians are great examples. They both went through years of low attendance (the Indians were drawing only a few thousand fans per game at one point) but, once they became competitive again and snapped a prolonged slump, the fans came back.

Anyway, let's hope that my voice recovers for the victory parade tomorrow. CONGRATULATIONS RED SOX! THE CURSE IS OVER! :D

Donnie B.
2004-Oct-29, 10:17 PM
Here's another story about the relationship between professional sports teams and their home cities in the US. This one involves football (the American kind, not what we call soccer).

The Cleveland (Ohio) Browns were one of the original teams in the National Football League, and have won many championships over the years. However, in the last few decades, they didn't put a consistently good team on the field. In the 90's, the owner tried to get the city to build a new stadium, but that didn't happen, so he pulled up stakes and moved the team to Baltimore (Maryland), which had lost its team (the Colts) some years earlier.

The Cleveland fans were livid. Not only did the Browns' owner become the most hated man in the city, but a lawsuit was filed to force him to change the name of his team. The suit succeeded, the old Cleveland Browns became the Baltimore Ravens, and (after a few more years) a new expansion team was started in Cleveland - called the Browns.

So even though it's a totally different team, with different players and owners, the city of Cleveland still has its Browns. And, after all, a brand-new stadium to play in.

sarongsong
2004-Oct-29, 11:12 PM
...and why is it called World Series when it seems to take place only in the US? :oops:
Sure would be nice---and more accurate nowadays---if Japan, Cuba and other Latin American countries were involved, other than contributing players to U.S. teams.

Taibak
2004-Oct-30, 12:43 AM
...and why is it called World Series when it seems to take place only in the US? :oops:
Sure would be nice---and more accurate nowadays---if Japan, Cuba and other Latin American countries were involved, other than contributing players to U.S. teams.

I hear ya.' Part of me wishes the Expos moved to San Juan permanently. It would have been GREAT for the game, if only for tapping into a new market. Granted only about 4.3 million people live in Puerto Rico (less than half a million in San Juan), but it would have been an interesting experiment.

And for the record, both the 1992 and 1993 World Series saw games played in Toronto. The Blue Jays won both of them.

Doe, John
2004-Oct-30, 01:57 AM
Can someone please explain for someone who is generally challenged by sports - not only US: What's the big thing about the Red Sox winning and why is it called World Series when it seems to take place only in the US? :oops: It's called the World series because way back in antiquity the original championship series was sponsored by the New York World, a tabloid that subsequently lost out in popularity to the NY Times and other such fish wrappers. I know this must be true because one of the announcers during the 7th game of the ALCS said it. :wink:

And here I thought corporate sponsorship of sports was a 21st century thing #-o

sarongsong
2004-Oct-30, 03:30 AM
...I know this must be true because one of the announcers during the 7th game of the ALCS said it. :wink:

That's the first clue...snopes (http://www.snopes.com/business/names/worldseries.asp) sez: "Y'er out!"
"...The modern World Series (like its predecessor series waged between National League and American Association teams from 1884-1890) was so named not because of any affiliation with a corporate sponsor, but because the winner was considered the "world's champion" -- the title was therefore simply a shortened form of the phrase "world's championship series."
Cool newspaper, tho:
"...The New York World (http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USAnyworld.htm) was established in 1860, just before the Civil War, and it fared poorly throughout the 1870s before being bought up by Joseph Pulitzer in 1883. Over the next half-century, the World was renowned for everything from its "yellow journalism" to its debut of the crossword puzzle..."