PDA

View Full Version : How long before this forum is deemed obsolete?

Cosmologist
2012-Sep-21, 12:16 PM
It strikes me that message boards have been around for decades. Its a simple setup and that has its attractions. But the way technology is leaping ahead in ever greater bounds I have to wonder how much time this place has left. Even facebook will be redundant one day.

grapes
2012-Sep-21, 12:24 PM
You will be assimilated.

I'm especially thinking about getting rid of the tired old last-millennium biotechnology that I've been lugging around for a few decades, but I'll never get enough for it to cover even 10%% of what I've put into it.

Solfe
2012-Sep-21, 12:35 PM
There is no predicting. See Myspace. My children have friends on Myspace because it is "retro".

Cosmologist
2012-Sep-21, 01:02 PM
Rupert Murdoch killed that one. Not much difference really between it and facebook. Did you watch the Social Network. I did but only because Mark Zuckerberg hated it. It was modelled on MySpace. Social networks can evolve but with things like Skype and YouTube popping up its all starting to look retro. Like letter writing. Its a dying art. Look at some of the stuff young people thump out of their keyboards. Even their spellcheckers choke on the material. Text might be on the way out soon. Already it costs practically nothing to send live feed video and sound. But will it happen gradually over a few more decades or spectacularly fast like the rise of the net?

grapes
2012-Sep-21, 01:16 PM
But will it happen gradually over a few more decades or spectacularly fast like the rise of the net?Just curious, how fast do you consider the net rose? :)

Moose
2012-Sep-21, 01:21 PM
:think: . o O ( Please don't say 1997... Please don't say 1997... )

Fazor
2012-Sep-21, 01:29 PM
:think: . o O ( Please don't say 1997... Please don't say 1997... )

1997! Sorry, how am I supposed to resist doing that?

LookingSkyward
2012-Sep-21, 01:32 PM
LOL

Moose
2012-Sep-21, 01:33 PM
1997! Sorry, how am I supposed to resist doing that?

[Buries Fazor under a mountain of AOL coasters.]

Cosmologist
2012-Sep-21, 01:40 PM
First thing I ever did on the net was join a yahoo messageboard. I think that was around 1997. They haven't changed much.

Paul Beardsley
2012-Sep-21, 02:01 PM
By definition, something is obsolete when there is no longer anyone wanting to use it. It doesn't just happen simply because something has been around for a while.

I like this forum because I can put some thought into what I write, and I am happy to read what other people have said; I don't want to listen to their recorded voices. As long as other people feel the same way, it's not going to go obsolete any time soon.

Swift
2012-Sep-21, 02:09 PM
First thing I ever did on the net was join a yahoo messageboard. I think that was around 1997. They haven't changed much.
I've been on-line in some form or other since about 1981.

As to your question, I hope never. I really like this format. I'm on Facebook, but use it little and don't particularly like it. For serious (even if seriously silly) long time, non meanering, non rude discussions, I really like message board format.

What would propose as a better format? Twitter?

Moose
2012-Sep-21, 02:11 PM
The large ISPs have been trying to obsolete Usenet for a while now, mainly because they can't monetize it. Usenet is still generating 9 terrabytes per day of noise. Message boards are similarly hard to monetize and the large corporations seem to have stopped trying and moved on to greener pa$ture$. All to the good. Message boards will continue to be around for a good long time yet. It's still an ideal platform for niche communities.

Moose
2012-Sep-21, 02:12 PM
I've been on-line in some form or other since about 1981.

I'm a young'un. I started in 1991.

Fazor
2012-Sep-21, 02:43 PM
I'm a young'un. I started in 1991.

That's about the time I started too. BBS' and then AOL/Compuserve (forget which we had first, then second, before ditching play-to-dial for a local ISP.)

But it was more fun to say the year that I wasn't supposed to say. What can I say, I'm a rebel.

starcanuck64
2012-Sep-21, 05:33 PM
I also started off on AOL in 1991, but the "local" dial-up turned out to be in Spokane and the first month cost me over $200 in long distance charges.

Gillianren
2012-Sep-21, 05:40 PM
I didn't get online until about 1998 or so, but my mother's a late adopter, and then I moved to Port Angeles, Washington, and was poor. So it took until I moved to a place where the public library had online access. A lot of people I know have been online far longer than that.

Extravoice
2012-Sep-21, 06:10 PM
For some reason, this Twilight Zone episode immediately jumped to mind when I read the thread title:

The Obsolete Man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Obsolete_Man)

Cougar
2012-Sep-21, 06:26 PM
It strikes me that message boards have been around for decades. Its a simple setup and that has its attractions. But the way technology is leaping ahead in ever greater bounds I have to wonder how much time this place has left. Even facebook will be redundant one day.

It's not the technology of the message boards, it's the content. While I think the popularity of facebook has already dropped below the radar, message boards such as this one will continue to survive for several billion years. Then we'll have to move to another planet.

Gillianren
2012-Sep-21, 06:43 PM
While I think the popularity of facebook has already dropped below the radar . . . .

It has?

Ara Pacis
2012-Sep-21, 07:00 PM
It has?

Perhaps it was wishful thinking.

Cougar
2012-Sep-21, 07:22 PM
Perhaps it was wishful thinking.

OK, yes, very wishful. Perhaps it's already dead, but like the Sun hypothetically blinking out of existence, it'll take a while for the information to get here.

Swift
2012-Sep-21, 07:23 PM
It's not the technology of the message boards, it's the content. While I think the popularity of facebook has already dropped below the radar, message boards such as this one will continue to survive for several billion years. Then we'll have to move to another planet.
Luckily the participants of the Space Exploration forum are busy debating the design of our starship. I am optimistic that they will reach a consensus on the design significantly in advance of the sun's Red Giant phase. ;)

Moose
2012-Sep-21, 07:45 PM
Perhaps it's already dead

You're thinking Zuckerberg's stock portfolio.

Ara Pacis
2012-Sep-21, 08:31 PM
You're thinking Zuckerberg's stock portfolio.

He'll do okay as long as they're still being born every minute.

Noclevername
2012-Sep-21, 09:22 PM
Why would you keep soup broth in a portfolio?

Solfe
2012-Sep-21, 09:56 PM
OK, yes, very wishful. Perhaps it's already dead, but like the Sun hypothetically blinking out of existence, it'll take a while for the information to get here.

I hardly use Facebook anymore. I ran out of other people's funny cats pictures to post and there is only so much George Takei stuff you can share before people look at you funny. I think it might be at the end of it life. :)

Rhaedas
2012-Sep-21, 10:06 PM
Simple question, which format, a message board or Facebook's style of posting*, is easier to keep track of subjects and discussions? Or even discuss a subject in detail? There's different styles and features, but the general message board hasn't changed since the advent of the old BBSs of dialup, because it works. They're just prettier and faster.

I don't ever use my FB account really, but when my wife wants to show something she saw on hers a few hours ago, the tediousness of finding it...well, that's one reason why I don't use FB.

chrlzs
2012-Sep-21, 10:24 PM
Perhaps the reason some don't like forums is that they don't get the agreement, support, friendship, recognition, adulation, respect, etc that they were hoping for, and can't understand why. ;)

When the op returns, perhaps s/he can clarify what he thinks will be the better alternative - s/he only gave Skype and Youtube as examples of the 'next step'? Me, I think Youtube is easily the worst (and worst run*) major social internet phenomenom of them all..

I love forums, as they draw like-interested folks together, they can be and mostly are well-moderated, and everyone's statements are kept for posterity, so you really should think before 'speaking' (and being in text form means that there is an incentive to do just that).

* With decent moderation, I think Youtube could have been a wonderful creation. But they missed the opportunity to put that in place early in its development, and now it's probably just too hard for them to bother.

Solfe
2012-Sep-21, 10:27 PM
With decent moderation, I think Youtube could have been a wonderful creation. But they missed the opportunity to put that in place early in its development, and now it's probably just too hard for them to bother.

It might be best to simply delete all comments and start over.

cosmicrockstar
2012-Sep-21, 10:30 PM
Forums keep evolving. To be honest i wont be surprised if they lasted another century. There is so much to learn from other people espectially on the science forums. Things like facebook will turnout obsolete because something even better ill takeover almost like Gmail is trying to do.

Rhaedas
2012-Sep-21, 10:53 PM
Just making discussions of a video have to go elsewhere would have made things a lot harder for the attention-deprived troll poster. But I suppose Youtube wanted to be more than just a storage place for videos, although what it has become can't be something to be proud of. But frankly that's the fault of the users, not that they care a bit about how they appear.

Moose
2012-Sep-21, 11:14 PM
Why would you keep soup broth in a portfolio?

It's fine if you dehydrate it first.

Ara Pacis
2012-Sep-22, 12:09 AM
I hardly use Facebook anymore. I ran out of other people's funny cats pictures to post and there is only so much George Takei stuff you can share before people look at you funny. I think it might be at the end of it life. :)

Sacrilege! You can never share too much George Takei stuff.

novaderrik
2012-Sep-22, 08:18 AM
i've got facebook open in another tab pretty much whenever i'm online..

as to when forums like this become obsolete: probably never.

WaxRubiks
2012-Sep-22, 01:45 PM
maybe they could open up a cosmoquest cafe when we're all in the matrix, but that would just be like a chat room addition to a forum.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Sep-22, 03:38 PM
I think the vast majority of my Facebook updates are from Endomondo tracked bicycling, as that's one of the ways I motivate myself.
Followed by comments on Gillian's posts and reposting stuff from George Takei and Dan Savage.

As for YouTube, I don't consider it social media as much as a Coventry for the dumbest inmates of the intartubes. With the occasionaly cool video clip.

And I will probably hit myriapi here before I hit 10000 updates on Facebook.

ToSeek
2012-Sep-22, 09:58 PM
I got personal web access in the fall of 1995.

Before that there was dialup with GEnie and AOL. I still miss GEnie. The SF forum had people like Damon Knight participating.

Before that there were local BBSes.

Solfe
2012-Sep-23, 12:03 AM
Sacrilege! You can never share too much George Takei stuff.

I upload pictures of the wife and kids, then share an equal amount of George Takei stuff. My gay friends are getting mixed messages. :)

Maybe someone could clear this up for me. I used to belong to a local BBS called Avalon or Phoenix in something like '86. It was for the local fire department. I can't remember if Avalon was the BBS name and Phoenix the software name or the other way around. Does anyone know if BBS software had a flavor with either of those names?

Ara Pacis
2012-Sep-23, 05:20 AM
I upload pictures of the wife and kids, then share an equal amount of George Takei stuff. My gay friends are getting mixed messages. :)

Maybe someone could clear this up for me. I used to belong to a local BBS called Avalon or Phoenix in something like '86. It was for the local fire department. I can't remember if Avalon was the BBS name and Phoenix the software name or the other way around. Does anyone know if BBS software had a flavor with either of those names?

There was a BBS software called "Excalibur (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excalibur_BBS)", which sounds Arthurian. I first went online in fall 1994, which I consider to have been one of the worst mistakes in my life.

Drunk Vegan
2012-Sep-23, 01:43 PM
Things like facebook will turnout obsolete because something even better ill takeover almost like Gmail is trying to do.
.... with the world!

"A chicken in every pot, and a Google Streetview van on every corner!"

Google is so seriously cool and it covers so much ground these days that it honestly scares me sometimes. I've got completely free and unlimited texting and phone calls through Google. Countless gigabytes of free data storage, email, maps, etc etc.. it's hard to go a year without adding a new Google app to your toolkit. And I fail to see what Google gets out of it because all the services I use (except for email) are completely ad-free. Which makes me suspect they're covering their costs through data-mining.

Get a bad apple at the helm (or a good apple who's corruptible by the awesome power) and it will spell disaster for the Internet one of these days.

Moose
2012-Sep-23, 01:55 PM
And I fail to see what Google gets out of it because all the services I use (except for email) are completely ad-free. Which makes me suspect they're covering their costs through data-mining.

And that's exactly what they've been doing. If you're getting it for free, then you're not the customer; you're the product.

Drunk Vegan
2012-Sep-23, 01:59 PM
Simple question, which format, a message board or Facebook's style of posting*,

When I saw the Asterisks I was almost certain I was going to see a footnote about the type of medium employed encouraging narcissism.

Drunk Vegan
2012-Sep-23, 02:02 PM
And that's exactly what they've been doing. If you're getting it for free, then you're not the customer; you're the product.

Ah, good to know. I never provide any real info anyway so it doesn't matter, but that sucks for most of their customers. And when I say I'm scared about what will happen if someone truly without ethics or morals takes control of Google, I mean a lot more than data-mining... that's pretty much par for the course for most websites anymore.

Jim
2012-Sep-23, 09:15 PM
It's fine if you dehydrate it first.

Yeah, that's what happened to my portfolio in '08.

Jim
2012-Sep-23, 09:17 PM
... I've got completely free and unlimited texting and phone calls through Google. Countless gigabytes of free data storage, email, maps, etc etc.. it's hard to go a year without adding a new Google app to your toolkit. And I fail to see what Google gets out of it because all the services I use (except for email) are completely ad-free. ...

"Someday I will come to you and ask you for a favor."

toolazytotypemyname
2012-Sep-24, 01:32 AM
I don't think a forum like this has much to worry about. Lots of people from all over the world with lots of diverse topics. Other forums on the other hand...

About a year ago I took over running a forum from a friend of mine that didn't want to any more. It's fairly small with a limited focus (hiking in New England). Pre-Facebook it thrived as it was one of a handful of similar forums where you could get trail information, ask questions, find other people to hike with and share experiences afterwards (including pictures). Then along comes Facebook and the forum pretty much dried up. Most everyone uses Facebook to setup hikes with their friends and that's where they share their pictures.

novaderrik
2012-Sep-24, 02:03 AM
Ah, good to know. I never provide any real info anyway so it doesn't matter, but that sucks for most of their customers. And when I say I'm scared about what will happen if someone truly without ethics or morals takes control of Google, I mean a lot more than data-mining... that's pretty much par for the course for most websites anymore.

this might sound kinda like my tinfoil hat is out of calibration, but you should look into the many ways that google is intertwined with the US government and how some of that data that they mine is used.. might have to use Bing to search it.. then use google to find out how Microsoft is also involved..

Drunk Vegan
2012-Sep-24, 03:15 AM
this might sound kinda like my tinfoil hat is out of calibration, but you should look into the many ways that google is intertwined with the US government and how some of that data that they mine is used.. might have to use Bing to search it.. then use google to find out how Microsoft is also involved..

I, for one, welcome our new ant overlords. ;)

Ara Pacis
2012-Sep-24, 05:14 AM

Or use Duck Duck Go, perhaps using Tor to get to their .onion page. But from what I've heard a lot of the Tor relays are likely government computers, since they set it up, so glwt.

Xelebes
2012-Sep-30, 12:36 AM
Well, I think it is safe to say that ezboards are dead. I haven't seen many phpBBs are dying, what with many being converted into vB. I think vB will be king until someone comes up with something better.

DoggerDan
2012-Sep-30, 05:29 AM
There is no predicting. See Myspace. My children have friends on Myspace because it is "retro".

I heard on the car radio (talk about old technology) that Justine Timberlake has invested a significant amount in MySpace. Whereas before it was utterly cluttered, the new layout is sleek and tidy. They're targeting it towards the niche music and photo industries, rather than trying to go head to head with Facebook.

Speaking of which, a message forum appeals to me because the content is far more rich than anything I've read on Facebook, which is rarely more complicated than Twitter. It seems the act of writing even a short couple of paragraphs is either a lost art or too much bother for most people. They prefer to merely "Like" what they think is cool. On rare occasions they'll add a comment, but it's rarely more than a sentence fragment. There are a few writers on Facebook, though. Their content is usually fairly well-developed. You can tell they take the time and effort to put some thought behind their comments.

Message forums, on the other hand, demand some thought, time, and effort. I like that, which is why I'm a fan of message forums over Facebook. When I do participate on Facebook, if I like something, I will ALWAYS share it to my wall, take the time to make an informed comment on it, and copy and paste my comment on the post I liked in the first place. I feel that doing anything less is doing a disservice to the entire community. Who cares how many people like a graphic? What I want to know is what people think about it, how the topic depicted in the graphic has affected their lives.

As a result, I enjoy a fairly high written response rate, and a number of folks wait until I've added my comments to a graphic before they share in on their walls, so they must like what I have to say about things.

publiusr
2012-Sep-30, 09:14 PM
What I fear is that a good idea that needs a follow up or white paper gets forgotten here.