PDA

View Full Version : Phil Plait gets ink.

Cosmologist
2012-Sep-21, 01:13 PM
http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/tv/la-ink/videos/fiery-tattoo.htm

That fiery meteor is going to look terrible in 20 years. Out of fashion and out of shape. A bit like Phil now. :)

LotusExcelle
2012-Sep-22, 12:42 AM
And in 20 years the rest of his skin would look... like an 18 year olds'? Well-taken care of ink looks good throughout life.

Trebuchet
2012-Nov-12, 03:22 PM
Phil officially revealed the tattoo in today's blog post, his penultimate post on Discover. He's moving to a different site tomorrow.

R.A.F.
2012-Nov-12, 07:11 PM
Looking at Phil's new "digs", I noticed NO LINKS to the old Bad Astronomy site.

I assume that's an "oversight".

theloniusmonkey
2013-Feb-26, 12:33 PM
http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/tv/la-ink/videos/fiery-tattoo.htm

That fiery meteor is going to look terrible in 20 years. Out of fashion and out of shape. A bit like Phil now. :)

That's funny, my best friend got a tatoo of good lokking down from the heavens through a telescope stating a girls wearing bikinis.

Gillianren
2013-Feb-26, 05:47 PM
Classy!

NorthernDevo
2013-Mar-04, 12:06 PM
Hey; Phil's a pretty good-looking guy - and that's a good tattoo!

Nice to see them featuring smart people rather than the usual reality show performers, not-really-singers and can't-actors that these shows usually feature.

LotusExcelle
2013-Mar-04, 02:43 PM
I still get a kick out of people that use the "how will that look in X years" argument against getting a tattoo. It ages with your body. If you take care of your tattoo and your body, they will both look pretty good as you age. For some people tattoos are eye candy. For others they are a very personal statement, not always meant to be seen by others or intended for interpretation. Humans have been decorating and modifying their bodies since time immemorial.

BigDon
2013-Mar-12, 05:34 PM
True, but you don't want to end up looking like a children's coloring book either. I see that a lot in San Francisco.

And I still insist tattoos on women rate as rank vandalism.

They're already the right color.

Thanatos
2013-Mar-15, 08:48 AM
A girl with a tatoo is like a crocodile with dentures.

Gillianren
2013-Mar-15, 05:14 PM
What about a woman with a tattoo?

BigDon
2013-Mar-15, 08:47 PM
Yeah, Gillian does have a small point. A tattoo on a girl is felony child abuse...

A tattoo on a woman is a sign she's capable of making bad decisions and then living with them.

That's actually a good sign for most of you guys.

Gillianren
2013-Mar-15, 08:57 PM
Or, in the case of some of my friends, that she is capable of knowing that a tattoo to symbolize an important aspect of her life is appropriate to her.

NorthernDevo
2013-Mar-17, 12:00 PM
Depends on the woman; depends on the tattoo.

I know a lass that runs the local goth cyber-cafe near here; not an inch of her (that she's shown me) isn't covered by ink.
She looks FANTASTIC. Goes well with her green hair, IMO. She's redesigned herself as a wood-nymph in the Tolkien mythos. If she's happy, have we any reason to disagree?

Oh; I'm sure some might disagree and a few years ago I would have too; but she likes who she is; she loves the artwork on her body and I like hunting all the little spiders wandering across her chest - she adds one or two every couple of months.

I know another woman who is one of the most powerful and influential people in this city. She's a lawyer; anonymity dictates I don't say in which specific capacity though I met her during the (lost) fight to keep the city center airport open. She has a small rose tattoo on her throat; quite lovely and goes well with her usual severe charcoal business suit. I only met her once but I've seen her on TV all the time and every time, the rose is visible.

I used to think tattoos were bad art made to be unremoveable; I never considered what the owners thought of them. I've since changed my opinions. :)

Cougar
2013-Mar-17, 04:46 PM
She has a small rose tattoo on her throat...

Small rose tattoo, OK. On her throat? Wrong. The only place on a woman I think a tattoo can be attractive is down around the ankle. YMMV.

LotusExcelle
2013-Mar-17, 04:49 PM
Small rose tattoo, OK. On her throat? Wrong. The only place on a woman I think a tattoo can be attractive is down around the ankle. YMMV.

I doubt the women with tattoos care what someone thinks of their placement.

Gillianren
2013-Mar-17, 04:52 PM
To be perfectly honest, I still don't like tattoos very often. I have a friend who is made very happy by the tattoos on his arms; they're a combination of LotR and Norse mythology. However, I happen to think the art isn't very good, and that ruins any personal symbolism for me. In fact, I like his tattoos less than I do another friend's, which are small, discreet, well-drawn, and more personally significant. Her mother drew one of them for her, as it happens. It seems some of you would prefer his bad tattoos to her good ones, simply because he's male and she's female.

Solfe
2013-Mar-18, 04:09 AM
If she's happy, have we any reason to disagree?

Disagree with someone who is happy? No. Emulate someone else with the real possibility of you having little or no style sense? No, not do it!

I am always afraid to get a tattoo because I would pick something that would be cool and stylish for a week.

NorthernDevo
2013-Mar-21, 06:22 AM
Disagree with someone who is happy? No. Emulate someone else with the real possibility of you having little or no style sense? No, not do it!

I am always afraid to get a tattoo because I would pick something that would be cool and stylish for a week.

Very good point, Solfe. I sometimes wonder what the lovely Goth girl I mentioned will think of her body art in 20 years; once she has grown past her desire to be a spirit of the forest. But in truth; I'm not sure that matters.

We are who we are. And we are here; now and in the present. When I was 20 I was a soldier - a Canadian Infantryman. A firey; almost-insanely competetive fighter with an instinct for leadership and tactics. Did I ever imagine I would be the man I am today 28 years on: broken and recovering; strong and deadly but frightened and living on past pride? Certainly not.

We of the older years can scoff; but we do not neccessarily remember how we thought when we were 20. That wood-nymph lass has made herself into the person she wants to be. She has chosen ink to be her medium to accomplish that. Can we despise that?

I used to; until I had sunk far enough below the level of normal society that I could interact with the people that society ignores. That Goth girl is astoundingly beautiful. Her actual face and body arent; she's a rather chubby girl; otherwise uninteresting. But she has made herself interesting with ink and art. Her vivacious manner and enthusiastic friendliness - side-effects of her transformation - makes her truly beautiful. I have never liked tattoos; I only have one myself: the one which reads CAR2 on the inside of my right forearm. That is a military tattoo; it identifies me as a member of one of the greatest fighting forces the world has ever known. But Art tattos are different; they say something about the desire and creativity of their owners.

It seems ink is a polarizing factor. I think the argument has less to do with ink than what we as adults define as acceptable social norms. We might love and smile at Goths and other tattoo-bearers; even as we despise them for their difference. But I don't think that's their problem. If anything; it's ours.

Cheers! :)

Solfe
2013-Mar-26, 12:36 PM
I am used to be goth, but some how managed to escape without the branding I wanted. Aside from from my lack of style, the real thing that keeps me doing one is I've been doing plasmapheresis and a tattoo or branding would force me to go through all blood screening, incompatible transfusion and antibody build up again. It takes months and the initial transfusion sucks.

My daughter needed medicine based on the antibodies from donors, so I'd rather "pay it back" than have some sort of stylish logo burned or inked on me.

BigDon
2013-Apr-30, 06:11 PM
Saw a woman yesterday who had full sized daisies on both of her arms.

Looked like the lines for the stem, leaves and petals were drawn with magic marker, at least an eighth of an inch thick.

Wow, she looked like a child's coloring book. And a simple one at that.

Solfe
2013-May-03, 01:20 AM
That's not good.

There is this woman at school with a steam punk tat of Amelia Earhart running from the base of throat to down below the neckline of any shirt I have seen her in. She created the design herself and I have to say it looks amazing. I mistook it for body paint the first time I saw it; the detail is really fine and somehow it blends back into her skin at the sholders and throat.

It is super agressive and it would totally suck if she didn't have a good person on the needle.