PDA

View Full Version : Any Archers on here?

captain swoop
2012-Sep-24, 10:44 PM
I took up Archery about 18 months ago, I am re fletching some damaged arrows and wondered if anyone else is in to Bow Sports of any kind.

LookingSkyward
2012-Sep-25, 07:57 AM
I play a bit - I have an old longbow that I don't remember where it came from, another that I finished tillering after someone else gave up on it, and a flatbow I'm in the process of building. And a compound. I have a lot more fun with the stick bows, tossing arrows all over the pasture, and then refletching :)

Solfe
2012-Sep-26, 02:15 AM
My son's are doing archery. At camp this year, they invited a scout from Slovenia to have dinner with us. She also happened to be the shooting sports director of the camp which was kind of cool. I found out a lot about archery and Slovenia all in one go.

I hope to convince my wife that all three kids need bows, because I want one too. :)

Edit Subjects make sentences work. :)

LookingSkyward
2012-Sep-26, 08:09 AM
Everyone needs a bow!

Paul Beardsley
2012-Sep-26, 09:19 AM
I did write to the local archery club (Chichester) expressing an interest in joining but they did not reply. Maybe sent it to the wrong address.

If my job situation settles down (it is currently very uncertain) I will try again, but until then I will not be contributing to this thread, merely following it with interest.

Fazor
2012-Sep-26, 01:17 PM
I wanted to learn archery for bow hunting. Pretty sure there's a thread around here somewhere talking about that, would have been two or three years ago. Alas I've yet to get into any of it due to lack of funds and time. But I find it interesting, so keep us posted as you progress!

jfribrg
2012-Sep-26, 01:30 PM
My daughter is an archer. Her coach was on the support staff for the US team at the London olympics. She has a recurve bow. Then one day we made the mistake of visiting the local Cabela's Outfitters (http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/hunting-archery-bows/_/N-1100004/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104235480?WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104791680%3B cat104693580) superstore. We were looking at a bunch of fancy compound hunting bows (just window shopping). They were in the $500 to $800 range. Then there was another one that was $180 and I couldn't tell the difference between them. I asked the salesman why the price was so low, and he replied that it was a closeout. To make a long story short, she hasn't used the recurve in a couple of years because she now prefers her compound hunting bow. She still hasn't gone hunting with it, but that day is coming soon.

captain swoop
2012-Sep-26, 01:38 PM
I did write to the local archery club (Chichester) expressing an interest in joining but they did not reply. Maybe sent it to the wrong address.

If my job situation settles down (it is currently very uncertain) I will try again, but until then I will not be contributing to this thread, merely following it with interest.

there has been a big upsurge in interest this last year. Partly the Olympics and partly Hunger Games it would seem.
One club near me the Priory Bowmen doesn't have spaces on a beginners course until 2014 !
they hold 3 courses a year for up to 10 people at once. Courses last 6 to 8 weeks and when you finish you get to join G.N.A.S. (ArcheryGB). That gives you insurance cover and you can join a club.
I am in a club that has only had 1 new member in the last 18 months, I joined because ther is no waiting list. There are only 20 people in the club, it was founded and consists of people who split from the above mentioned club when there was a big falling out a few years ago over the direction of the Priory Bowmen, they are obsessed with competitions, it's hard to get on the range if you just want a casual shoot because the teal get first dibs on everything.

If you are wanting to join a club in the UK then this is the site to get all the info and contacts http://www.archerygb.org/

To learn to shoot well you need to be coached and in a club, they can loan you a bow and you get access to coaches and shooting ranges.

captain swoop
2012-Sep-26, 01:46 PM
My daughter is an archer. Her coach was on the support staff for the US team at the London olympics. She has a recurve bow. Then one day we made the mistake of visiting the local Cabela's Outfitters (http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/hunting-archery-bows/_/N-1100004/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104235480?WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104791680%3B cat104693580) superstore. We were looking at a bunch of fancy compound hunting bows (just window shopping). They were in the $500 to $800 range. Then there was another one that was $180 and I couldn't tell the difference between them. I asked the salesman why the price was so low, and he replied that it was a closeout. To make a long story short, she hasn't used the recurve in a couple of years because she now prefers her compound hunting bow. She still hasn't gone hunting with it, but that day is coming soon.

I shoot recurve, I have had a go on the Compound but it is a distraction at the moment from improving on the Recurve, They are easier to shoot than a recurve for a beginner but just as difficultto master as a recurve.
With the compound you get the benefits of optical sights, release mechanisms for the string, and the weight of the draw gets lighter as you pull. They fly very flat and fast as well. On the recurve I am drawing 42lb at the moment and I am thinking of moving up, it will mean a new pair of limbs on the bow and new arrows to match the new weight. On a Compound I can use over 50lb, it falls to less than 30 at full draw.

LookingSkyward
2012-Sep-26, 01:54 PM
While I like both the compound and recurve, there's a lot of charm to wandering around with a stick bow and plinking at dandelions if you have a place to do so. I'm not putting down precision shooting in any way, but it's only one aspect of the <art? sport?>. Shooting re-tread arrows at targets of unkown ranges and chasing your arrorws can be a lot of fun as well. There's a bow & shooting style for anyone interested :>

I realize not everyone has a pasture available, sadly.

captain swoop
2012-Sep-26, 02:57 PM
In the UK huntingfor live game with a bow is strictly illegal. there are though 'Field Archery' clubs that shoot at animal targets in woods and rough ground. It's strictly Compound all the way in the undergrowth.

One of the guys at our club is a Longbow enthusiast. he shoots alternate weeks bare longbow and recurve. Just to be a show off he shoots one left handed the other right handed.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Sep-26, 04:53 PM
I did some recurve shooting a long time ago and have an ash staff rough tillered at home waiting for me to get the time to give it the attention it needs to become a bow, currently it's telling me it wants to become a holmegaard.

Trebuchet
2012-Sep-26, 05:57 PM
I don't have a bow but could provide you with a flying target....

...and I'll be seeing one of you this weekend!