PDA

View Full Version : Abomination Combinations

closetgeek
2012-Sep-26, 02:04 AM
The future Mr and I were hitting the afternoon lull when I offered to make another pot of coffee. When the pot beeped I got up and made us each a cup but when I came back, he was sucking on a lollipop. Did he toss the pop? No, he drank the coffee while sucking on the lollipop. Really, unless we are talking about things that human beings should just not eat, I can't think of a worse combination. He had the nerve to compare combining a cherry lollipop with coffee to putting ketchup on eggs. There is no way they are in the same class, they are not even on the same planet. The only thing grosser than that is that scene in Pulp Fiction where the dealer is eating cereal while smoking a cigarette. I don't know why; I am a smoker and that makes my stomach start to bubble.

What are some of the worst combinations you can think of?

Solfe
2012-Sep-26, 02:20 AM
Fish fingers and custard. :)

Pop Rocks and Diet Coke does nasty things to the tummy; hiccups and smoking is a low quality experience, too.

One time I put some of the kids bubble gum toothpaste on my brush. I realized my mistake but decided it would be a "blast from the past" and used it. It was not remotely a blast, it was horrible all on its own.

KaiYeves
2012-Sep-26, 02:35 AM
Orange juice and milk.

Vanilla-yogurt covered cranberry raisins and granny smith apple.

Apple slices and mustard actually isn't that bad because at any given moment, one taste is overpowering the other, but I don't think I'd try it again.

Gillianren
2012-Sep-26, 03:16 AM
"There was a fish . . . in the percolator!"

Ara Pacis
2012-Sep-26, 04:58 AM
Actually, cherry and coffee doesn't sound half bad. If hazlenet flavored cream works, why not cherry? Chocolate and cherry go well and chocolate and coffee go well.

I sometimes like cheap beer and a starlight mint. Friend convinced me to do that and it worked.

now, something that totally does not work is bananas and tortilla chips. I made myself sick one morning on the way to school and making a breakfast out of whatever was in reach. I can't remember if I actually threw-up or just really felt like it.

LookingSkyward
2012-Sep-26, 08:59 AM
I have an understanding with the Mrs... if I ask what she's eating, "You don't want to know" is a perfectly valid answer. But then, no one gets in to my goat cheese in the fridge, either :>

grapes
2012-Sep-26, 09:27 AM
He had the nerve to compare combining a cherry lollipop with coffee to putting ketchup on eggs. There is no way they are in the same class, they are not even on the same planet.

Got that right! One's from earth, ketchup on eggs is from Gliese 581 g. It escaped on a temporal virus during the Ptevv wars in 2140.

Orange juice and milk.

Eat an apple, swallow. Drink milk.

Solfe
2012-Sep-26, 11:14 AM
"I'll have a can of mushroom soup, an orange and some Cheerios. And oh, yeah, get yourself something for dinner." My wife while pregnant with our first son. Aside from that request she didn't really crave odd things.

LookingSkyward
2012-Sep-26, 11:16 AM
Eat an apple, swallow. Drink milk.... I've never eaten a swallow, with or without apples... they fly to fast for me to catch... :<

Buttercup
2012-Sep-26, 11:54 AM
Years ago, in a Dairy Queen, watched a woman put a big dab of regular mustard on each bite of hot fudge (sundae). :confused: Ugh.

captain swoop
2012-Sep-26, 03:45 PM
Jamie Oliver recommended a bit of mature cheddar dipped in honey then instant coffee powder.

I tried it.

not again.

Buttercup
2012-Sep-26, 04:00 PM
A twist on this conversation: An online blogger likes halved boiled eggs sprinkled with soy sauce. I thought "Yuck," but tried it. Wow. :) It really pops in your mouth; the initial flavor bursts against the upper palate. In the early a.m. it'd wake you up. :p It's not delicious but I'm glad I tried it.

NEOWatcher
2012-Sep-26, 04:32 PM
I tied it.
Tied what... Your intestines? ;)

captain swoop
2012-Sep-26, 04:42 PM
oops fixed

R.A.F.
2012-Sep-26, 04:56 PM
Orange juice and milk.

I am reminded of my Father-in-law. He was very unusual when it came to what he would drink with milk.

I remember he really liked to drink pineapple juice and milk.

Yuck...

Buttercup
2012-Sep-26, 05:07 PM
Yesterday had lunch with a group of lady friends. A Korean restaurant (recently opened and 1 of 2 now). On the menu is a cold beef-based soup with fruit, vegetables, and buckwheat noodles. Waitress said the soup has bits of ice in it too.

I wish I could have tried it (regular meat - can't).

Have never heard of buckwheat noodles before either.

PetersCreek
2012-Sep-26, 05:22 PM
I remember from when I was a kid, that drinking orange juice immediately after brushing my teeth with minty toothpaste was not pleasant. At all.

From the same time frame, I couldn't understand my brother's habit of dipping his potato chips into his vanilla pudding cup. In a similar vein, even though it's not a pairing, my grand daughter will eat french onion chip dip by the spoonful, right out of the container. None for me, no thank you. A little on a chip and I'm good.

Speaking of mint again, I like it a lot and I also really like chocolate but for some reason, the two flavors do not pair well for me. It's not disgusting but my wife's stash of Andes mints is in no danger from me whatsoever.

But chocolate, to my taste, does pair well with other somewhat odd things: dark beer, such as porters and stouts; bourbon; and certain cigars, to name a few. And I'll never forget the chocolate-covered caterpillars given to me and my class by a third- or fourth-grade teacher...without telling us what they were. I was one of the few who asked for more after being told what we had eaten.

PetersCreek
2012-Sep-26, 05:24 PM

Buckwheat soba may be my favorite Asian pasta.

NEOWatcher
2012-Sep-26, 05:43 PM
Orange juice and milk.
Does that curdle the milk like a lemon would?
I'm just reminded of that scene in "Das Boot" of the "uboat cocktail" when they were cutting up the remaining lemons before they go bad.

grapes
2012-Sep-26, 05:45 PM
And I'll never forget the chocolate-covered caterpillars given to me and my class by a third- or fourth-grade teacher...without telling us what they were.
What if you'd had a known severe allergy to caterpillars!!!

SeanF
2012-Sep-26, 06:29 PM
In a similar vein, even though it's not a pairing, my grand daughter will eat french onion chip dip by the spoonful, right out of the container.
Last Thanksgiving, my brother picked up a jar of mayonnaise and started eating big spoonfuls of it. We all reacted appropriately, but it turned out he had simply washed out a mayonnaise jar and put vanilla pudding in it. :lol:

danscope
2012-Sep-26, 06:31 PM
Surprisingly, fresh warm apple pie with a slice a good cheddar cheese is a remarkable treat.
"Apple pie without cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze ". The Goodhousekeeping Cookbook

Kaptain K
2012-Sep-26, 06:59 PM
My little brother went through a phase where he wouldn't eat any thing that wasn't green. Mom put green food coloring in his ground beef and gravy!

Solfe
2012-Sep-26, 07:06 PM
I can't drink artificially favored coffee of any kind, my throat closes up and I can't swallow. It doesn't matter if it is the favored creamer or an actual flavored coffee. Cherry Cheesecake Coffee seems to cause the worst reaction. I do enjoy a cup of coffee brewed with cinnamon or vanilla. It's the artificial favors that provoke this reaction with one aberration - Bailey's and coffee, I can't drink that either.

captain swoop
2012-Sep-26, 07:11 PM
But chocolate, to my taste, does pair well with other somewhat odd things: dark beer, such as porters and stouts; bourbon; and certain cigars, to name a few. And I'll never forget the chocolate-covered caterpillars given to me and my class by a third- or fourth-grade teacher...without telling us what they were. I was one of the few who asked for more after being told what we had eaten.

I like chocolate with red wine.

Buttercup
2012-Sep-26, 07:18 PM
Oh, I got it: "Scooby-Doo" episodes where he and Shaggy are scarfing down gooey cheesy pizzas topped with hot fudge sundaes. :lol:

Ara Pacis
2012-Sep-26, 07:31 PM
Abominable combinations? Snow and man.

I'm surprised no one mentioned it yeti.

selden
2012-Sep-26, 07:40 PM
Surprisingly, fresh warm apple pie with a slice a good cheddar cheese is a remarkable treat.
"Apple pie without cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze ". The Goodhousekeeping Cookbook And the sharper the cheese is, the better! Yum.

Buttercup
2012-Sep-26, 07:45 PM
I also like apple pie with a slice of cheddar.

A fast-food taco chain near my hometown featured a fried flour tortilla sprinkled with cinnamon/sugar, a generous spread of finely-chopped apple pie filling, and shredded cheddar cheese melted over it. It was a best-selling item for them.

selden
2012-Sep-26, 07:53 PM
Back to more disgusting combinations: when I was a kid, I enjoyed jelly and tuna sandwiches. My mother refused to make them, but was willing to put separate jelly and tuna sandwiches in my lunch bag.

starcanuck64
2012-Sep-26, 08:57 PM
soft black licorice and milk may sound funny but it's one of my favorite combinations.

redshifter
2012-Sep-26, 10:24 PM
I remember the show Laverne & Shirley - they'd have milk & pepsi; no idea if that's any good or not...

I've had the unfortunate experience of brushing my teeth (w/toothpaste) then drinking orange juice immediately afterwards. Horrifyingly awful.

swampyankee
2012-Sep-27, 12:17 AM
I once had, being too adventuresome for my own good, chocolate truffles sprinkled with sea salt. I should have known better; that whole "sweet with salty thing" tends to make me nauseous.

I don't do kettle corn, either.

Trebuchet
2012-Sep-27, 12:32 AM
I keep seeing chocolate bars with bacon. I haven't been able to bring myself to try one because a) they're expensive, and b) it sounds like a waste of chocolate AND bacon.

When I was small, my friend told me to put sugar on my cottage cheese. I about threw up. Now that I'm an adult, the thought of cottage cheese is about enough to do it all by itself.

Gillianren
2012-Sep-27, 12:34 AM
I keep seeing chocolate bars with bacon. I haven't been able to bring myself to try one because a) they're expensive, and b) it sounds like a waste of chocolate AND bacon.

The "expensive" aspect is why I've never just bought one for Graham. I'm a remarkably fussy eater, but I do like the sweet-salty thing. Feeding it (I've also seen a beef jerky bar!) to Graham seems like a way of testing the waters, but not at those prices.

starcanuck64
2012-Sep-27, 12:49 AM
I remember the show Laverne & Shirley - they'd have milk & pepsi; no idea if that's any good or not...

I've had the unfortunate experience of brushing my teeth (w/toothpaste) then drinking orange juice immediately afterwards. Horrifyingly awful.

The detergent in toothpaste temporarily alters the fat cells in your taste buds.

Another really odd taste experience I found was drinking Dr. Pepper and eating M&Ms peanuts at the same time.

The "expensive" aspect is why I've never just bought one for Graham. I'm a remarkably fussy eater, but I do like the sweet-salty thing. Feeding it (I've also seen a beef jerky bar!) to Graham seems like a way of testing the waters, but not at those prices.

I love maple syrup on back bacon.

redshifter
2012-Sep-27, 12:56 AM

You're not missing anything, I tried one; it tasted like chocolate with bacon bits in it. Not very good IMO.

redshifter
2012-Sep-27, 12:57 AM
The detergent in toothpaste temporarily alters the fat cells in your taste buds.

Interesting! Thanks.

closetgeek
2012-Sep-27, 01:02 AM
Soda and breakfast foods just don't mix, at all.

starcanuck64
2012-Sep-27, 01:05 AM
Interesting! Thanks.I think it takes about 15 minutes for the effect to go away.

Van Rijn
2012-Sep-27, 01:06 AM

Interesting. I googled it and found this:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/life/human-biology/orange-juice-toothpaste1.htm

The likeliest culprit for the offensive reaction is the foaming agent found in almost all toothpastes. Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) is a surfactant -- a sudser -- added to toothpaste. It creates the froth that toothpaste becomes after you begin brushing by lowering the surface tension of the saliva in your mouth and allowing bubbles to form. While it aids in spreading the toothpaste throughout your mouth, it also creates the impression of cleanliness; a mouthful of foam just feels cleaner.

But SLS has other properties, too. For one, it suppresses your sweet receptors, so it has a dampening effect on the generally sweet taste of orange juice. In addition, SLS destroys phospholipids. These fatty compounds act as inhibitors on your bitter receptors. So by inhibiting sweet receptors and destroying phospholipids, SLS dulls the sweetness and promotes the bitter taste in orange juice.

This is not the only explanation of why orange juice and toothpaste form a bad flavor, but it's the most widely accepted one. Another explanation, posed by a researcher at the United States Department of Energy, suggests that the horrible taste is the result of interaction between the stannous fluoride in toothpaste and the acetic acid in orange juice.

They point out that taste isn't fully understood, which is why they talk about "likliest." In my case, I avoid anything aside from water for a bit after brushing. It isn't just orange juice that tastes bad (and orange juice often is quite bitter and not very sweet anyway).

starcanuck64
2012-Sep-27, 01:10 AM
They point out that taste isn't fully understood, which is why they talk about "likliest." In my case, I avoid anything aside from water for a bit after brushing. It isn't just orange juice that tastes bad (and orange juice is often is quite bitter and not very sweet anyway).

I'm the same way, water is ok, but I won't eat anything for about 15 minutes after brushing my teeth...not that I usually have a meal after brushing.

Solfe
2012-Sep-27, 01:38 AM
My kids have a cookbook and one of the recipes is Orange-nog - Milk and Orange Juice. It isn't as horrible as it sounds.

grapes
2012-Sep-27, 01:47 AM
Orange Julius, a kiosk in every strip mall, once

Buttercup
2012-Sep-27, 02:59 AM
Pork rinds and salsa. :( I can't stand to even watch someone eat that.

Ara Pacis
2012-Sep-27, 07:10 AM
I dunno about OJ and milk, but fresh oranges sections and whipped cream are heavenly.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Sep-27, 12:08 PM
Interesting. I googled it and found this:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/life/human-biology/orange-juice-toothpaste1.htm

They point out that taste isn't fully understood, which is why they talk about "likliest." In my case, I avoid anything aside from water for a bit after brushing. It isn't just orange juice that tastes bad (and orange juice often is quite bitter and not very sweet anyway).
Coffee just after toothpaste is another of the interesting combinations.

NEOWatcher
2012-Sep-27, 04:43 PM
I don't know where I heard it (probably my parents), but milk and pepsi (specifically, coke the way I heard it) was common in the 50's.
Just think of a root beer float on a budget.

PetersCreek
2012-Sep-27, 05:39 PM
The mention of milk just brought something else to mind. Living in Germany for a few years only reinforced my appreciation for their beer but dang...they make some awfully weird cocktails with it. Beer & cola, beer & lemonade, beer & milk. I just couldn't wrap my head or tastebuds around them.

KaiYeves
2012-Sep-27, 08:52 PM
Abominable combinations? Snow and man.

I'm surprised no one mentioned it yeti.

Hah.

Ara Pacis
2012-Sep-28, 07:00 AM
Hah.

A girl who gets my sense of humor. According to board rules, I think we have to get married. :P

Jens
2012-Sep-28, 08:07 AM

Not that I like it all that much, but in Japan it's called soba. It's one of the most popular things people eat as carbohydrates, after rice (of course) and then probably wheat noodles (udon).

swampyankee
2012-Sep-28, 09:53 AM
Many years ago, in a suburb far, far away .... I almost gagged when I saw another student start to eat his french fries with mayonnaise. I had led a sheltered life, even though I had started college (Commonwealth: university) in Chicago1 slightly before this. I also hate mayonnaise.

1 Not University of Chicago, but a school called Illinois Institute of Technology. Just google Mies van de Rohe, although I was not an architecture student.

Trebuchet
2012-Sep-28, 02:26 PM
Many years ago, in a suburb far, far away .... I almost gagged when I saw another student start to eat his french fries with mayonnaise. I had led a sheltered life, even though I had started college (Commonwealth: university) in Chicago1 slightly before this. I also hate mayonnaise.

I think that's the preferred condiment in Belgium, where fries are practically the national food. My wife eats hers with tartar sauce. I've never acquired the taste.

For me, an awful combination is dry red wine with just about anything sweet. Dry champagne, on the other hand, is quite lovely with sweets!

Noclevername
2012-Sep-28, 02:36 PM
A girl who gets my sense of humor. According to board rules, I think we have to get married. :P

I'm a guy who got it too, but flattering as the proposal is, I don't swing that way.

closetgeek
2012-Sep-28, 05:30 PM

1 Not University of Chicago, but a school called Illinois Institute of Technology. Just google Mies van de Rohe, although I was not an architecture student.

I love fries in mayo! I used to put mayo on hotdogs too but that only works with certain brands.

Trebuchet
2012-Sep-28, 05:40 PM
I love fries in mayo! I used to put mayo on hotdogs too but that only works with certain brands.

Of Mayo, or of hotdogs?

closetgeek
2012-Sep-28, 05:46 PM
Of Mayo, or of hotdogs?

Hot dogs. There are mayonaise brands that I prefer but even the worst of them is better than miracle whip, which is an abomination all on it's own.

selden
2012-Sep-28, 06:18 PM
How about fat-free miracle whip, then? ;)

closetgeek
2012-Sep-28, 06:22 PM
How about fat-free miracle whip, then? ;)

Who cares about fat free? Haven't you heard; sugar is the new evil. Now we can go back to consuming all of the fats we want and there will be no consequences, as long as it's sugar free. ;)

starcanuck64
2012-Sep-28, 07:32 PM

One of my current favorites is sweet potatoes fries with chipotle mayo.

selden
2012-Sep-28, 08:05 PM
Hmmm. Isn't this thread supposed to be about "Abomination Combinations"? In other words, describing combinations one would never consider eating? Or viewing? It seems to me that posts about delicious meals aren't quite appropriate ;)

I think sweet sauces on meats, for example, fall in the "delicous meal" category. "Sweet and sour chicken" is a popular entree at many Chinese restaurants in the U.S. Similarly, chicken with mole poblano is often available in Mexican restaurants.

For me, a disgusting food combination would be one including poorly prepared duck. It's just too greasy.

Buttercup
2012-Sep-28, 08:10 PM
Egg on a hamburger.

Sliced corned beef & kraut on a hamburger.

I've only *seen* these (and even if could eat meat, never).

selden
2012-Sep-28, 09:07 PM
In the town where I live, a hamburger with an egg on it is called a "BoBurger". I dunno why. It's quite popular, as are hamburgers with sauerkraut on them. Or bleu cheese. (I used to eat them all too often.) I don't think I've seen one with corned beef, though.

KaiYeves
2012-Sep-28, 10:14 PM
Do the board rules take age gaps into account? Because I'm pretty sure you're way older than 19...

starcanuck64
2012-Sep-28, 10:33 PM
Has anyone brought up liver and onions...I mean as part of the discussion.;)

Ara Pacis
2012-Sep-28, 11:43 PM
Do the board rules take age gaps into account? Because I'm pretty sure you're way older than 19...

The board rules are astronomical, we'll have to ask if there's a special relativity provision.

Ara Pacis
2012-Sep-28, 11:45 PM
Has anyone brought up liver and onions...I mean as part of the discussion.;)

I've tried liver, but it tastes too much like pate. Luckily, I have a medical excuse to avoid eating it.

starcanuck64
2012-Sep-29, 12:19 AM
I've tried liver, but it tastes too much like pate. Luckily, I have a medical excuse to avoid eating it.

You haven't had my mom's liver and onions, the trick is to scorch it so the char covers up the taste.:)

redshifter
2012-Sep-29, 12:21 AM
Who cares about fat free? Haven't you heard; sugar is the new evil. Now we can go back to consuming all of the fats we want and there will be no consequences, as long as it's sugar free. ;)

Or gluten free...Deep fried trans fats here I come!

swampyankee
2012-Sep-29, 12:31 AM

Ah, good. Another reason to avoid kettle corn.

swampyankee
2012-Sep-29, 12:32 AM
You haven't had my mom's liver and onions, the trick is to scorch it so the char covers up the taste.:)

For liver, it's fava beans and a dry red wine. And doesn't your mother need her liver?

starcanuck64
2012-Sep-29, 12:51 AM
For liver, it's fava beans and a dry red wine. And doesn't your mother need her liver?

Yes, A nice Chianti I believe.

And I hope that was cows liver we were served, she does like Donner Party jokes.

Trebuchet
2012-Sep-29, 02:15 AM
Hey, I actually had a multi-greats uncle in the Donner party. He survived, I think.

starcanuck64
2012-Sep-29, 06:45 PM
Hey, I actually had a multi-greats uncle in the Donner party. He survived, I think.

You come from tough stock then.

Ara Pacis
2012-Sep-29, 07:45 PM
You come from tough stock then.

Or would that be broth?

Trebuchet
2012-Sep-30, 12:03 AM
Or would that be broth? With long enough cooking, he might have been tender! I'll have to do some checking, the family name was Graves.

Ara Pacis
2012-Sep-30, 04:19 AM
With long enough cooking, he might have been tender! I'll have to do some checking, the family name was Graves.

Braised from the dead?

starcanuck64
2012-Sep-30, 08:52 PM
Or would that be broth?

That's really *tasteless*.;)

swampyankee
2012-Oct-01, 12:07 AM
That's really *tasteless*.;)

A little salt, a few onions, celery, carrots, .... will fix that right up ;)

starcanuck64
2012-Oct-01, 12:28 AM
It's interesting how this turned into a "How to serve man" discussion.:)

Ara Pacis
2012-Oct-01, 08:19 AM
It's interesting how this turned into a "How to serve man" discussion.:)

I've always wondered if you can make bacon from long pig.... no, don't tell me.

grapes
2012-Oct-01, 08:39 AM
Funny how this thread popped into my mind, when I was preparing my Mom's mashed-potato-stuffed hot dogs

The Backroad Astronomer
2012-Oct-01, 12:45 PM

I wonder what recipes he had in his cook book.

swampyankee
2012-Oct-01, 01:48 PM

Is he the originator of the line "the head's the best part?"

The Backroad Astronomer
2012-Oct-01, 02:24 PM
I bet his offal was just awful.

starcanuck64
2012-Oct-01, 05:20 PM
I've always wondered if you can make bacon from long pig.... no, don't tell me.

I'm hoping this is just idle curiosity.:)

Gillianren
2012-Oct-01, 05:51 PM

One of the survivors did start a restaurant in Sacramento, after. It didn't do very well.

NEOWatcher
2012-Oct-01, 06:28 PM
One of the survivors did start a restaurant in Sacramento, after. It didn't do very well.
I wonder if he's now investing in this butcher shop (http://fox8.com/2012/09/28/butcher-shop-sells-human-parts-for-publicity-stunt/).

Ara Pacis
2012-Oct-01, 08:48 PM
I'm hoping this is just idle curiosity.:)

Eric Idle curiosity.

starcanuck64
2012-Oct-02, 12:43 AM
Eric Idle curiosity.

"...say no more"