PDA

View Full Version : Anyone missing hockey...

starcanuck64
2012-Oct-02, 06:18 PM
...at all?

I haven't really been following the details of the lockout much, they're arguing about who gets to be the most filthy rich or something like that.

A bit of a humorous take on the "negotiations".

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/10/02/here-is-the-secret-nhl-lockout-agenda/

10:15 a.m. A sheepish Daryl Katz apologizes for his earlier outburst in which he threatened to move the meeting to the boiler room unless everyone agreed to pitch in and buy him a pony.

This is the owner of the Oilers here who just got the city to put up several hundred million to build him a new venue in downtown Edmonton.

swampyankee
2012-Oct-03, 02:22 AM
...at all?

This is the owner of the Oilers here who just got the city to put up several hundred million to build him a new venue in downtown Edmonton.

<insert political rant here></insert>
I've not missed hockey at all. Indeed, I wouldn't have noticed it was gone if you hadn't posted. There are, doubtless, North American males who pay less attention to hockey than do I, but they're mostly dead.

snowcelt
2012-Oct-03, 02:31 AM
Was all concerned a month ago. But, like the above poster, I forgot about this until now. thanks!

Solfe
2012-Oct-03, 03:09 AM
After last years Time Warner/MSG battle over the Sabre games, I am merely annoyed.

vonmazur
2012-Oct-03, 08:26 AM
Golly guys, why not a thread on the NFL Referees?? Means about as much in the long run! :) I did not know that there was another Hockey lock out, and I still miss the New Haven Blades and the "blood baths" at the old NH venue, heck, they tore down the new venue....stuck in the 70's I guess!!:)

(Now NFL and MLB, that is really important!! Not to mention College Football...)

Dale

primummobile
2012-Oct-03, 12:46 PM
I don't miss hockey at all. I was never a big fan, but I always followed the Pens from the 1980's up until they signed Crosby. As soon as that happened, a couple million fair-weather fans came crawling out of the woodwork to ruin the fun for everyone else. Until they go away I don't care if I ever see another hockey game.

DonM435
2012-Oct-03, 01:28 PM
In recent years, I've only watched the playoffs.
I remember that after the previous lockout they only had time for a 48-game season, which wasn't too bad.

Parrothead
2012-Oct-03, 03:07 PM
In recent years, I've only watched the playoffs.
I remember that after the previous lockout they only had time for a 48-game season, which wasn't too bad.

That was two lockouts ago. Last one lasted the entire season.

Not missing hockey, yet. I'm a long suffering Leafs fan.

Moose
2012-Oct-03, 03:21 PM

Hey, the Leafs are still mathematically in the running. What's not to like? :D

jfribrg
2012-Oct-03, 03:43 PM
I enjoy watching my team when they are winning. So far I haven't missed them, but I am getting tired of these labor issues. It seems to me that something fundamental has to change if they have a lockout or strike on a regular basis. There is apparently a lot of money to be made in this sport by both the players and the owners. They really need to find a way to share the profits without resorting to a cancelled season every 10 years. The more often this labor strife happens, the more likely an alternative league or sport will steal the long-term profits from the NHL.

starcanuck64
2012-Oct-03, 04:44 PM
I've lost a lot of my enthusiasm for the sport over the years, every lockout/strike just reminds me that these guys who are getting paid huge bucks are playing a game. When they start squawking about not getting paid enough or the owners think they're not making enough then it loses a lot of it's appeal I find.

Fazor
2012-Oct-03, 04:58 PM
I don't miss hockey yet. MLS, NFL, and NCAA F still going on. But when football and soccer season ends at the end of the year, and the only major sport left on TV is basketball, I'll be missing NHL.

Also, Columbus was supposed to get the All-Star game this year, which is the best assurance of all that there will be no season what-so-ever.

DonM435
2012-Oct-05, 04:24 PM
That was two lockouts ago. Last one lasted the entire season.

I lost count there!

If they settled with a week to go, they could play a 4-game round-robin in each division to eliminate the 0-4 teams and most of the 1-3 teams, then, on to the playoffs! That would be dramatic.

Solfe
2012-Oct-06, 12:53 AM
Didn't they have a rule to the effect of "Teams can dress any fan as a player"? That would make an interesting season.

DonM435
2012-Oct-06, 03:06 AM
Didn't they have a rule to the effect of "Teams can dress any fan as a player"? That would make an interesting season.

Actually, as late at the early 1960s, teams were not required to carry a second goalkeeper on the roster: too expensive. Pay some minor-league kid $3,000 a year just to sit on the bench? No sir!

Each rink had to have at least one "house goalie" on the premesis. If they couldn't persuade some amateur to show up for a free ticket, it might be the home team's trainer or equipment manager, someone who had played long ago and worked out with the team in practice.

Because of this, if a goalie got injured, he'd usually get his face stitched up (no masks back then) during a long delay, and get back into the game. If he was hurt badly enough, the house goalie came in. Amazingly, the visiting team would use the hosts' house goalie rather than let one of their defensemen or forwards suit up to fill the role.

Even more amazingly, some house goalies put sportsmanship above all, and bit the hand that fed them. Lefty Wilson, the Detroit Red Wings' trainer once helped the opposition win a game as a goal substitute, and didn't get fired for his efforts.

This has got to be unique in team sports. Can you imagine the Yankees (or the Packers), with their last catcher (or kicker) going down, and drafting a substitute from the stands, or borrowing a man from the other team?

Solfe
2012-Oct-06, 03:53 AM
Hockey is full of fun stuff like that.

I am not going to get the details correct at all, but I recall a team putting a defense man or forward in net instead of a goalie for a penalty shot. The "goalie" was not technically a "goalie" and checked the oncoming shooter. I believe they change the rule since.

Edit - Boy did I get that wrong (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Neilson). Roger Neilson put a defense man in goal and he was able to advance on the shooter and spoil the shot.

DonM435
2012-Oct-06, 02:24 PM
I enjoyed reading that. I guess that Nielson tested the rulebook a lot in his minor league coaching career.

Solfe
2012-Oct-06, 03:02 PM
I think I may be missing hockey more than I like to admit. I am eyeing up all of the old PS2 hockey games I have, I might hook up the PS2 again.

Moose
2012-Oct-06, 03:11 PM
It's a great year for supporting your local junior hockey teams. Go see some games!

starcanuck64
2012-Oct-06, 05:18 PM
It's a great year for supporting your local junior hockey teams. Go see some games!

That's a good idea, I think I'll check the Oil Kings out this year.

DonM435
2012-Oct-06, 07:01 PM
I think they changed the rules so that teams from other leagues can challange for the Stanley Cup if the NHL doesn't play. That could be interesting.

starcanuck64
2012-Oct-06, 07:22 PM
That would be interesting, my brother played junior and university hockey and there's a lot to be said for that level of sports.

Inclusa
2012-Oct-07, 04:51 AM
Can anyone imagine professional handball or volleyball leagues in North America? So many people complain that baseball is darn boring, and this was probably the reason that it is out of the summer Olympics.

swampyankee
2012-Oct-08, 02:03 AM
Can anyone imagine professional handball or volleyball leagues in North America? So many people complain that baseball is darn boring, and this was probably the reason that it is out of the summer Olympics.

Baseball boring? I disagree, but then I find [American] football barely more fascinating than watching paint dry.

I know there are professional racquetball, squash, and handball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_handball) (if not handball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_handball)) players in North America. I'd be surprised if there were no professional volleyball players (even neglecting the ones on the various North American national Olympic teams).

So, yes, I can imagine professional volleyball and handball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_handball) or handball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_handball) leagues. I mean, people do watch golf.

Solfe
2012-Oct-08, 04:32 AM
Baseball boring? I disagree, but then I find [American] football barely more fascinating than watching paint dry.

You need to watch the Buffalo Bills, it's painful and boring.

swampyankee
2012-Oct-08, 11:23 AM
You need to watch the Buffalo Bills, it's painful and boring.

I get migraines. I don't need any external sources of pain.

Cougar
2012-Oct-08, 01:15 PM
Yes, I miss hockey. Of course, they hardly ever show games on broadcast TV, so I guess it's the missing of the games that I miss....

starcanuck64
2012-Oct-09, 07:47 PM

Baseball is more strategic than a lot of other sports, but it can get very exciting when a close game suddenly breaks open with a bunch of runs, also I find a pitcher getting closer and closer to a no-hitter or perfect game very exciting.

Parrothead
2012-Oct-09, 09:49 PM
I think they changed the rules so that teams from other leagues can challange for the Stanley Cup if the NHL doesn't play. That could be interesting.

I think during the last lockout, some beer league team tried, but weren't allowed. Can't remember what the final settlement of that case was. Something I heard on the radio, went along the lines, technically, an AHL or CHL team could challenge for the Stanley Cup, but it is unlikely to happen, as approval for them to do so would have to come from the NHL Board of Trustees.

Parrothead
2012-Oct-20, 10:42 PM
Actually, I don't mind some of the older games, TSN and CBC are showing in place of some games. Wasn't interested in the Gold game between Canada and US from the Vancouver Olympics, the other night. I'm hoping CBC (fan's pick) goes with the Flyers vs Red Army, Jan. 1976 ( "The Russians are leaving!") tonight. Enjoyed watching the Habs-Bruins 1979 SF Game 7, last Saturday.

Xelebes
2012-Oct-21, 01:13 AM
...at all?

I haven't really been following the details of the lockout much, they're arguing about who gets to be the most filthy rich or something like that.

A bit of a humorous take on the "negotiations".

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/10/02/here-is-the-secret-nhl-lockout-agenda/

And now the negotiations between the Edmonton City Council and Daryl Katz have broken down. The deal that was roughed in last year is off the table and now council is looking at building the arena themselves and excluding Katz from the ownership of the arena.

Parrothead
2012-Oct-21, 02:05 AM
Grrrr. The Philly - Red Army game came in second, in the voting. They have Game 7, Vancouver vs. Calgary from 1994. If only there were a good enough print of it, would love to see Sittler's 10 pt. night vs the Bruins, as one of the choices.

Negotiations having broken off again, I'm not sure this stoppage will be settled anytime soon. Within a month, the league would be looking at scrapping the Winter Classic, one of the biggest revenue deals for the league stateside.

starcanuck64
2012-Oct-23, 10:26 PM
And now the negotiations between the Edmonton City Council and Daryl Katz have broken down. The deal that was roughed in last year is off the table and now council is looking at building the arena themselves and excluding Katz from the ownership of the arena.

Sounds like Katz is asking for even more money and the City Council is finally saying enough.

I wonder what would happen if Katz did try and take the Oilers to another city?

Solfe
2012-Oct-24, 01:50 AM
Sounds like Katz is asking for even more money and the City Council is finally saying enough.

I wonder what would happen if Katz did try and take the Oilers to another city?

I wouldn't want to try it. Considering the economy and their play in the last two seasons moving might be the worst option. The way I see it, keeping the fans and support base you have now is better than trying to build from zero.

Of course, I don't even play team owner on TV so maybe I know nothing.

starcanuck64
2012-Oct-24, 09:31 PM
I wouldn't want to try it. Considering the economy and their play in the last two seasons moving might be the worst option. The way I see it, keeping the fans and support base you have now is better than trying to build from zero.

Of course, I don't even play team owner on TV so maybe I know nothing.

I think the threat was unless he got what he wanted he'd have to take the team to another city, Edmonton City Council did come up with a lot of money to build the new venue, I forget if it was all or half of the $450 million and we thought we had a deal with Katz. Now he's asking for $6 million a year in "subsidies" without really explaining why, under the previous agreement the team was supposed to be making a healthy profit, largely subsidized by the taxpayers here.

I just think the threat to move is hollow, while the team has it's problems, there would be a lot of outrage if he tried to move it.

Solfe
2012-Nov-02, 12:17 AM
I hope someone asks him to stick his threat in his ear. That is just too much greed.

Parrothead
2012-Nov-08, 05:37 PM
Talks have resumed. If they can come to some sort of agreement, they are considering a 60 game season, no matches between East-West. The Winter Classic was cancelled last week, could be re-scheduled for Jan 1, 2014, Toronto at Detroit. The Hall of Fame inductions are this weekend in Toronto, player inductees: Pavel Bure, Adam Oates, Joe Sakic and Mats Sundin.

swampyankee
2012-Nov-10, 02:23 PM
I think the threat was unless he got what he wanted he'd have to take the team to another city, Edmonton City Council did come up with a lot of money to build the new venue, I forget if it was all or half of the $450 million and we thought we had a deal with Katz. Now he's asking for $6 million a year in "subsidies" without really explaining why, under the previous agreement the team was supposed to be making a healthy profit, largely subsidized by the taxpayers here.

I just think the threat to move is hollow, while the team has it's problems, there would be a lot of outrage if he tried to move it.

Have a telethon. Or tell him that "you want subsidies to stay here? You a) let us audit the team's books and b) we'll take an appropriate ownership stake, based on the auditors' valuation."

jrkeller
2012-Nov-12, 04:54 AM
Yes,

but if this season is cancelled, I'll probably give up watching hockey. I was going to go to the outdoor event, but that's been cancelled.

DonM435
2012-Nov-12, 05:14 AM
Talks have resumed. If they can come to some sort of agreement, they are considering a 60 game season, no matches between East-West. The Winter Classic was cancelled last week, could be re-scheduled for Jan 1, 2014, Toronto at Detroit. The Hall of Fame inductions are this weekend in Toronto, player inductees: Pavel Bure, Adam Oates, Joe Sakic and Mats Sundin.

That, to me, is a sign that the League is too big: You can't meaningfully schedule all of the other teams in 60 contests.

So, at the very least, have two separate Leagues that only get together for a world series of sorts.

Or better still -- for hockey -- have a number of regional six-team leagues leading up to playoffs. Maybe I'd waiver the "regional" a bit to have the so-called "Original Six" teams back together.

But, I think that all of the major sports could benefit from smaller sub-organizations, wherein local fans could again know all of the opponents thoroughly.

I know that when I was eleven years old, I knew the whole roster of every (all 20 of 'em) major league baseball team and could even quote the batting averages. Hockey was even better: you only had five opponents, all the better to jeer each man individually at the Stadium.

Now, the schedules are thinned-out to the point where random chance can determine the playoff qualifiers.

We need both local rivalries and east-west north-south finals. Heck, you ought to have to conquer your own bloomin' region before aspiring to the World Title! You have no business competing against San Jose or San Diego until you've beaten the other New York/New Jersey teams.

Parrothead
2013-Jan-21, 05:14 PM
So the shortened season has begun. 48 games played within respective Conferences. Before the lockout ended I did enjoy the old games CBC aired, for the most part. There was the IIHF World Jrs tournament, congrats USA on winning Gold.

I did watch some NHL action on the weekend. Saturday afternoon, I watched coverage of the ceremonies from L.A. The Kings players received their rings and raising the team's first Stanley Cup banner to the rafters. Nice touch including former Kings Marcel Dionne and Rogie Vachon in the ceremony.

Saturday evening, Leafs at Canadiens. Montreal does ceremonies good. The "passing the torch" theme had former captains Yvon Cournoyer, Henri Richard, Vincent Damphousse, Serge Savard and finally Jean Beliveau handing the torch to current Habs captain, Brian Gionta.

The Leafs home opener is tonight, with Buffalo visiting Toronto. Part of the tradition, since 1932, has the 48th Highlanders pipng in the season, usually to "Maple Leaf Forever". Speculation has one segment tonight may include a link-up with the ISS, which is currently commanded by Chris Hadfield, who happens to be a Leafs fan. I'm not expecting much from the Leafs, hopefully, Randy Carlyle will be able to coach them into a playoff spot, this shortened season. Brian Burke has already been fired as GM and been replaced by David Nonis.

DonM435
2013-Jan-21, 08:17 PM
A short season should be good, with each game meaning more in the standings.

KnowTheCosmos
2013-Jan-21, 10:06 PM
I too am happy we at least get a short season this year. It'll be nice to have on in the background while I'm getting work done. Neighbors will no longer hear me yelling at *just* my computer, but at the refs, the horrible passing and my continued loathing of the trapezoid.

BigDon
2013-Jan-21, 11:10 PM
I was at this enormous brawl overseas in the Philipines at a place called the Sierra Club, but I had to leave suddenly because a hockey game broke out.

Solfe
2013-Jan-22, 01:47 AM
Darn it. My kids found the Lorax on netflix, so I actually missed the Sabres game. EDIT - Seven minutes left. Oh well, better than nothing.

Parrothead
2013-Feb-17, 05:24 PM
First installment of "The Battle of Ontario" went last night. Leafs beat an Ottawa team, missing some key players. Injuries can really hurt a team, in the shortened season.

I mainly watched for the pre-game ceremony. The 1962-63 Leafs, arguably the best team in franchise history, were honoured. Only time the Leafs won both the President's Trophy and the Stanley Cup. Players on hand were: Red Kelly, George Armstrong, Dave Keon, Eddie Shack, Johnny Bower, Dick Duff, Bob Nevin, Bob Pulford, Larry Hillman and John MacMillian. Unable to attend: Bob Baun, Frank Mahovlich and Allan Stanley.

DonM435
2013-Feb-18, 01:29 AM
I remember those names from watching games as a little kid. (Johnny Bower was supposed to be getting too old to play goal anymore! Good to hear he's still around.)