PDA

View Full Version : last night at the urinal

peterkienle
2012-Oct-03, 03:24 AM
Ok. It is very small media... but can somebody explain what this means:
"Saves 88% more water than a one gallon urinal"
Seen in the bathroom of a local supermarket.

I often have trouble understanding what these percentages really mean. But this one sounds even more confusing. I mean, I don't know how much a one gallon urinal saves in the first place.

Peter

Tog
2012-Oct-03, 04:15 AM
It all depends on what they are comparing that 1 gallon urinal to as the standard.

Current federal guidelines say that 1.0 gallons per flush is the maximum. Some use as much as five. http://www.epa.gov/WaterSense/products/urinals.html

Let's say that a standard one uses 1.5. one that uses 1.0 would save 0.5 gallons per flush. The one you saw save 88% more than than that, or 1.88*0.5 gallons, or about 0.94 gallons per flush, for a total water use of about 0.56 gallons.

If they are comparing it to one that uses 1.1 gallons, then the total would be 1.88*0.1, which would be about a pint and a half (24 ounces).

If they are comparing it to a 5 gallon one, then it's 1.88*4, which would be a savings of 7.5 gallons, which is impossible. Whenever you see a stat like that, you need to know both of the other values or it's meaningless.

Ara Pacis
2012-Oct-03, 04:54 AM
I love algebra.

I wish I had said that in high school. I might have ended up first in class.

Tog
2012-Oct-03, 07:56 AM
That's algebra?

Maybe if there were more urinal questions, I would have passed. I don't do well without story problems.

vonmazur
2012-Oct-03, 08:14 AM
I was at the local sports bar, and they used hang the sports page up to read while using the urinal, now the local paper has gone to 3 days a week, so they have an LCD Screen with whatever is showing that is the "big game du jour".....very interesting use of facilities..

Dale

Tog
2012-Oct-03, 08:22 AM
There are also video games that use "hands free" controls.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1QxnG25Tl4 Clip is about 2 minutes.
It's an interesting idea, but I'm not thrilled about the high-fiving afterward.

primummobile
2012-Oct-03, 12:52 PM
The job site I am currently working has bathroom trailers with no-flush urinals. The sign over the urinal says that each no-flush urinal saves approximately 40,000 gallons of water per urinal per annum over a typical urinal. If they are considering a 1 gallon per flush urinal that would only be 109 flushes per day. I think that's a little low. We engineers aren't on site on Sundays, but the craft people are here 24 hours a day seven days a week.

ToSeek
2012-Oct-03, 03:03 PM
In Portugal, most toilets have two buttons on the top, one for a #1 flush, and the other for #2.

Swift
2012-Oct-03, 03:27 PM
In Portugal, most toilets have two buttons on the top, one for a #1 flush, and the other for #2.
I've seen those elsewhere in Europe and have started seeing them in the US.

Other than the posts about video games or newspapers hung up by the urinal, I'm not sure I undertand what this all has to do with Small Media at Large, but I'm not going to get P.O.ed about it. :p

By the way, if I posted a very long, rambling post about the topic, would that be an example of "stream of consciousness".

:rimshot:

Jim
2012-Oct-03, 03:58 PM
I think that just qualified this thread for the Very Bad Puns forum.

Jim
2012-Oct-03, 04:00 PM
Moved.

The Backroad Astronomer
2012-Oct-03, 04:23 PM
I've seen those elsewhere in Europe and have started seeing them in the US.

Other than the posts about video games or newspapers hung up by the urinal, I'm not sure I undertand what this all has to do with Small Media at Large, but I'm not going to get P.O.ed about it. :p

By the way, if I posted a very long, rambling post about the topic, would that be an example of "stream of consciousness".

:rimshot:

It's just water under the bridge to me.

danscope
2012-Oct-03, 06:42 PM
I was thinking about the term " Wee engineers " . Very appropriate . :)

NEOWatcher
2012-Oct-03, 06:46 PM
If they are considering a 1 gallon per flush urinal that would only be 109 flushes per day. I think that's a little low. We engineers aren't on site on Sundays, but the craft people are here 24 hours a day seven days a week.
But how many of them would actually flush a urinal? :whistle:

DonM435
2012-Oct-03, 06:50 PM
A place to discuss things with peers.

Buttercup
2012-Oct-03, 06:58 PM
...getting mental images I really don't want to have...

DonM435
2012-Oct-03, 07:00 PM
...getting mental images I really don't want to have...

Uhhh ... I think this is Standing Room Only! :eeek:

Buttercup
2012-Oct-03, 07:02 PM
Uhhh ... I think this is Standing Room Only! :eeek:

No problem. :hand: It's just hearing the conversation as I walk past the closed door.

primummobile
2012-Oct-03, 08:33 PM

Good point. I guess I was thinking about the autoflush urinals, but I haven't seen too many of those on job sites.

Jim
2012-Oct-03, 08:47 PM

We had a discussion along thos lines at work one day. We decided that you can tell an engineer 'cause he washes his hands after. A machinst washes his before. And a pipefitter never washes his hands.

Swift
2012-Oct-04, 01:35 PM
We had a discussion along thos lines at work one day. We decided that you can tell an engineer 'cause he washes his hands after. A machinst washes his before. And a pipefitter never washes his hands.
Sort of like the signs you might be a chemist, one of which is you wash your hands before you go to the bathroom.

http://cosmoquest.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17250&d=1341858518

DonM435
2012-Oct-04, 03:02 PM
No problem. :hand: It's just hearing the conversation as I walk past the closed door.

Security leak!