PDA

View Full Version : Printer Talks

Inclusa
2012-Oct-07, 06:11 AM
My Hp Deskjet is showing signs of "constipation" (the difficulty of printing out papers, or printing extremely slow.)
I believe a new printer is necessary, but the things at the shops complicate decision making.
Colour laser may have lasting toners, but they come with huge price tags ($60-80 per toner? This is not something I'm looking for.)
All-in-one inkjet has improved substantially over the years, and with the wireless option, the other computer will be able to use it as well.
(I just read that one HP photosmart support 550 B&W pages and 750 color pages for $60).

Ara Pacis
2012-Oct-07, 08:51 AM
If you want the best of both worlds for price and longevity, you might consider solid-ink printers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_ink). I think Xerox still makes them.

swampyankee
2012-Oct-07, 12:39 PM
My brother -- a long term IT network manager -- hates HP printers. The hardware is ok, but [he says] their drivers are hideous resource hogs. Try some of the other brands. If you're only doing black & white printing (which is about 95% of what I do), you may be better off getting an inexpensive black & white laser for documents and an inexpensive inkjet for when you need color.

Even if you don't go that route, investigate other brands.

Solfe
2012-Oct-07, 03:28 PM
I have an HP 4050 J610, I would describe it as adequate. Nothing exciting, pro or con. I have yet to find an excellent home printer.

cjl
2012-Oct-07, 11:16 PM
I've had good luck with Canon printers recently. They don't seem to be excessive ink hogs, and I have no complaints about the quality.

peterkienle
2012-Oct-08, 12:56 AM
I realize you said you wanted to stay away from laser. But if you don't need color it's very efficient. I was an inkjet man for decades. Many generations of HPs. And still using an 11x17 HP OfficeJet to rpint orchestral scores. But for everyday printing of documents nothing so far was as affordable as a Brother 5250. My whole family prints large volumes for school, office, etc. I have to replace the $100 (or so) high capacity toner cartridge every 18 months or so. Plus this thing has very rugged paper handling and a small footprint.

Inclusa
2012-Oct-08, 03:48 AM
With XL toners, HP Inkjet All-in-one matches the capacity of laser printers (the ability to print beyond a thousand pages before toners must be refilled or changed.
The speed also seems to match that of laser printers, too.
http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?CatIds=66%2C238%2C308,2801&webid=366001&affixedcode=WW

Inclusa
2012-Nov-21, 06:35 AM
http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/ca...affixedcode=WW
I don't know if this is good or not.

Hlafordlaes
2012-Nov-21, 09:39 PM
I no longer buy printers since it is cheaper per page to just use the corner copy shop, who in addition have large form factor and fast double-sided capabilities as well. Last time I looked at the issue, the key takeaway is that printers are sold via the Gillette customer retention method: "Give away the razor (printer), sell the blades (toner/ink)." So printer purchase price is no good indicator of value, ink cost is more important. Sure anyone on this board can work out the yearly costs for themselves. As a rule (with exceptions), inkjets or color lasers that allow each color and black to be sold individually are cheaper to use than any using combination cartridges.

Best deal I ever purchased back in the day (mid-90's) was a networked Xerox copier-printer-collator-scanner-fax for a small office in Paris.

Inclusa
2012-Nov-22, 05:13 AM
I still have at least occasional usage of printers, and my inkjet currently malfunctions in spite of uses of a cleaning kit.

Jens
2012-Nov-22, 07:03 AM
I no longer buy printers since it is cheaper per page to just use the corner copy shop, who in addition have large form factor and fast double-sided capabilities as well.

That's interesting to hear, and I'd never really thought of it. Though I think it may be an option for those of us living in Tokyo or Barcelona, but for people in the US it might well be a 30-minute drive to the local copy shop!

Jens
2012-Nov-22, 07:04 AM
My whole family prints large volumes for school, office, etc.

I think that the choice of what is best depends a bit on the volume you print. Personally, I occasionally print out a map to get somewhere or a coupon for some store, so I've found that having a cheap inkjet printer does just fine.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Nov-22, 02:54 PM
For me the main issue is that ink dries out, which in my experience means more than half the ink is wasted because the cartridges dry out to the point of being
unresurrectible before they get empty.
So not only are they expensive as hell per page, they're also a massive irritant when realizing that the printer with half a cartridge of ink is unable to print, typically just I have to finish the accounts for the tax people.

Laser toner doesn't have that problem, which means it's vastly cheaper when printing occasionally.

pzkpfw
2012-Nov-22, 08:25 PM
Laser toner doesn't have that problem, which means it's vastly cheaper when printing occasionally.

+1

Despite my recent Windows 8 issues, I really "love" my Canon LBP 5000 colour laser. It cost (without any accounting for inflation) about three times what colour lasers today cost (it was ~ NZD$600). But it came with full-size toner carts *1 for each of the four colours, and went from about mid-2005 to mid-2012 before I had to replace the black cart. To do that I bought a set of 4 remanufactured carts *2, that cost a total of around $300. Way less than real Canon carts (but more than a new printer would have cost!), and I learned from what was printed on them they are they same as certain models of HP, so I now know there's a wider range of choice when looking for further new carts *3.

My learnings:
*1 Printers can come with "starter" ink or toner, with WAY less content.
*2 So far I've been happy with these. Some of the re-made carts can be very good quality. Buy from supplier with their own "guarantee". But do this after printer warranty runs out.
*3 Among different printer makes, are many common parts. If you can learn them, it widens options. e.g. For me, economy of scale (in terms of sales and stocking) might mean (in this case) that the HP carts are cheaper than the Canon carts - even though they are the same.

(I also have a Canon ink-jet, but only because it was the cheapest/easiest way to get a flat bed scanner. It was $45. That's about the same as either the black or colour (sadly all in one, for this model) ink cart for it.)

Inclusa
2012-Nov-25, 03:33 AM
+1

Despite my recent Windows 8 issues, I really "love" my Canon LBP 5000 colour laser. It cost (without any accounting for inflation) about three times what colour lasers today cost (it was ~ NZD$600). But it came with full-size toner carts *1 for each of the four colours, and went from about mid-2005 to mid-2012 before I had to replace the black cart. To do that I bought a set of 4 remanufactured carts *2, that cost a total of around $300. Way less than real Canon carts (but more than a new printer would have cost!), and I learned from what was printed on them they are they same as certain models of HP, so I now know there's a wider range of choice when looking for further new carts *3.

My learnings:
*1 Printers can come with "starter" ink or toner, with WAY less content.
*2 So far I've been happy with these. Some of the re-made carts can be very good quality. Buy from supplier with their own "guarantee". But do this after printer warranty runs out.
*3 Among different printer makes, are many common parts. If you can learn them, it widens options. e.g. For me, economy of scale (in terms of sales and stocking) might mean (in this case) that the HP carts are cheaper than the Canon carts - even though they are the same.

(I also have a Canon ink-jet, but only because it was the cheapest/easiest way to get a flat bed scanner. It was $45. That's about the same as either the black or colour (sadly all in one, for this model) ink cart for it.)

Thanks! I may reconsider a colour laser again due to these conditions.