PDA

View Full Version : virial shock found around the Coma Cluster

trinitree88
2012-Oct-08, 12:50 PM
The Coma Cluster is one of the largest bound systems in the universe. The authors have found evidence of a huge virial shock there. Interesting. SEE:http://arxiv.org/abs/1210.1574

antoniseb
2012-Oct-08, 01:14 PM
This was one of the papers I mentioned in Fun Papers last night... I agree with you, this is a very interesting observation, and the paper itself has some very readable parts. The whole business of this shock zone surrounding the cluster tells us something about the nature of clusters and the medium around them.

trinitree88
2012-Oct-08, 04:18 PM
This was one of the papers I mentioned in Fun Papers last night... I agree with you, this is a very interesting observation, and the paper itself has some very readable parts. The whole business of this shock zone surrounding the cluster tells us something about the nature of clusters and the medium around them.

antoniseb. Sorry, I missed that. Thought I checked that out and don't mean to steal your thunder. oops. pete

antoniseb
2012-Oct-10, 01:31 PM
... Sorry ... oops...
What? No, not my thunder. I was praising your choice of paper. It's cool. It's a discovery and a modest sized advance in our understanding of the cosmos, and well worth talking about. Since I prefer to keep discussions of the Fun Papers in separate threads, this is exactly right.

Tensor
2012-Oct-11, 02:35 AM
antoniseb. Sorry, I missed that. Thought I checked that out and don't mean to steal your thunder. oops. pete

Pete, never worry about that from my perspective. There are a lot of papers, not all of them will interest me on the night I go through them. If other posters see something that interests them, by all means, bring it up. If it happens to be a paper I mentioned, well, they may not have seen it within the bunch I put out. Now, once you post something on it, I may ask questions, but I won't complain about you bringing up a paper.

matt.o
2012-Oct-11, 09:06 AM
This is indeed an interesting result. I would like to point out one small error in antoniseb's original post in the Fun Papers thread:

*Cluster-pause* http://arxiv.org/abs/1210.1574 So what happens to the stuff blowing out of galaxy clusters when it hits intercluster space? You get something sort of like the heliopause, only its around a cluster. This paper this paper is about the 15 million lightyear diameter sphere around the Coma Cluster. There are ways in which it is not like the heliopause, but I think it helps convey the idea.

The virial shock is not due to matter being blown out of clusters. In fact, it is the opposite -- the virial shock occurs when matter falls onto a cluster and meets the intracluster medium. Until now, there has been relatively little observational evidence for virial shocks. Hopefully this will change with the next generation radio and gamma ray telescopes.