PDA

View Full Version : Curiosity Finds…SOMETHING…on Martian Surface

Fraser
2012-Oct-09, 12:40 AM
While scooping its first samples of Martian soil, NASA’s Curiosity rover captured the image above, which shows what seems to be a small, seemingly metallic sliver or chip of… something… resting on the ground. Is it a piece of the rover? Or some other discarded fleck of the MSL descent mechanisms? Or perhaps an exotic [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/97774/curiosity-finds-something-on-martian-surface/)

Selfsim
2012-Oct-09, 06:14 AM
Looks like some kind of shrimp (or prawn) shell ... :p

... Just wait until the Life in Space Forum folk hear about this one! :)

redshifter
2012-Oct-09, 06:23 AM
Obviously an arrowhead...seriously, my money's on probe debris of some sort.

tnjrp
2012-Oct-09, 06:54 AM
It's the broken-off tip of John Carter's sword.

JustAFriend
2012-Oct-09, 11:23 AM
Beer can tab.... they're EVERYWHERE!

iquestor
2012-Oct-09, 12:13 PM
how long before someone seriously claims its alien technology?

tnjrp
2012-Oct-09, 12:22 PM
Well, Hoagland for one doesn't seem to be on to it yet... At this time of writing. Saw a post about how it's a conspiracy to cover up why Curiosity won't be taking soil samples that seemed serious but I couldn't really figure out the whys and wherefores of that.

Selfsim
2012-Oct-09, 08:20 PM
Well, all that seems like a pretty good cross-section of speculation to make a good story up about what it might be … let me see now …

If there was barbeque on Mars sometime in the past, beer would've almost certainly been consumed.
Merriment involving jousting competitions, and maybe even fencing, might have been involved, and it all likely got out of hand.
John Carter seems to have suddenly materialised, and subsequently 'upped the ante'.
Barbeques would've consumed all of the limited oxygen inherited by Mars during its formation, and rampant beer-making would've depleted all the limited available liquid water on the planet.
All extant life thus became extinct, as a result. :(
But such a theory would be improper for NASA to propagate, (especially when considering minors), no matter how accurate it might be, so a cover-up story was framed, involving an equipment failure, and subsequent total breakdown of Curiosity's soil sampling equipment, curtailing further evidence gathering opportunities for Curiosity.
The data gathering continues in secrecy however, known only to a privileged group of scientific conspirators. No-one knows their names and their identities have been erased from all public records ...

Well, its certainly 'possible' ... maybe even 'likely' …?.. :p :)

PS: Just responding 'in kind' with the quoted 'Martian macaroni' comment by Alan Boyle … maybe macaroni salad was consumed at the BBQ, also?

Solfe
2012-Oct-10, 04:04 AM
It's a gum wrapper. :)

Gigabyte
2012-Oct-10, 02:23 PM
Oh great. We send an advanced robot to Mars and it can't figure out what something is when it finds it.

Is it part of me? An alien artifact? Gosh, I am not equipped to analyze such deep problems. Must stop all experiments.

Buttercup
2012-Oct-10, 02:30 PM
A piece of plastic which fell off Curiosity.

jfribrg
2012-Oct-10, 02:45 PM
Well, Hoagland for one doesn't seem to be on to it yet... At this time of writing. Saw a post about how it's a conspiracy to cover up why Curiosity won't be taking soil samples that seemed serious but I couldn't really figure out the whys and wherefores of that.

I haven't heard that name in a while. I must not have been looking too hard. This whole mission should give him enough material to keep him busy for years. It does seem more than ridiculous that NASA would spend an enormous amount of money to look for evidence of a Martian environment that could (or did) support life only to supress such evidence it when it is found.

Tog
2012-Oct-10, 02:46 PM
Fell?

Or chewed off by rabid space weasels?

Did anyone call out a fragment from any of the what two dozen failed landings in the past? Mars had killed a lot of probes.

Buttercup
2012-Oct-10, 02:49 PM
Fell?

Or chewed off by rabid space weasels?

Must have been caused by Martians while cleaning the dust off Curiosity. :p

Extravoice
2012-Oct-10, 03:11 PM
"Okay folks, let's do some serious science. Commence diggin.......Ohhhh, look something shiny."

publiusr
2012-Oct-13, 07:49 PM
I'm thinking it was some insulation from the backshell that got snagged on the rover then blew off.