PDA

View Full Version : CSI

Glom
2004-Oct-23, 11:10 PM
I'd just like to say how impressive I find this show. At a time when everything's boobs and technobabble, this show really does try for intelligence.

For starters, you have the science (I'm sure we'll be able to nitpick, but hey). They are quite thorough in examining the evidence and every little bullet they find is treated with great importance. They don't insult the viewer's intelligence by assuming they won't have the attention span to follow analysis of some new crop of evidence. Emphasis on the subtlety and the characters act like scientists. I'm sure they're getting some good technical advice.

The intermix between character and story is good. The investigation takes priority and the characters are their to do the investigation. I'm not saying that the characters are wooden at all. I think they're well written and acted, but the show doesn't get distracted too much with the decadence of soap opera plots. They focus on the investigation.

I also like the way they do that funny flashback thing always adapting and expanding as new evidence is found. There is the good sense of following the progress.

The only problem with the show is that by its nature, you have to watch it from the beginning or you can't follow it that well. Of course, that's just an incentive to catch it from the start.

Musashi
2004-Oct-23, 11:15 PM
I also like CSI. The scenarios are usually interesting, and sometimes even modeled on current events (maybe more than sometimes?). I think some of the science is probably glossed in some ways (super fast DNA tests, etc.) but I am not particularly current on the technology. It is one of the shows I strive to watch every week (and there aren't many).

The Supreme Canuck
2004-Oct-23, 11:22 PM
Me too. The only part I dislike is how fast and fully they seem to solve things. Though I suppose if it took too long or didn't work out often, people wouldn't watch.

AndrewGPaul
2004-Oct-23, 11:26 PM
I like it. The only major problem I have is, is it standard practice for forensic examiners to interrogate suspects? :)

The Supreme Canuck
2004-Oct-23, 11:29 PM
Hm. True. Never really thought about that.

Candy
2004-Oct-24, 12:15 AM
Check out the CSI website (http://www.cbs.com/primetime/csi/main.shtml)! It takes a while to load with dial-up. 8-[

You can visit Gil Grissom's office or one of the labs (interactively). :D

Humphrey
2004-Oct-24, 12:20 AM
I like it. The only major problem I have is, is it standard practice for forensic examiners to interrogate suspects? :)Nope. If you get caught talking to the corpse you can get in a bit of trouble. [-X [-X

dummy
2004-Oct-24, 12:37 AM
I love CSI, but what drives me nuts is how they'll always take CCTV footage of a far off car or something, then magically enhance, zoom, crop and rotate the image to reveal the number plate that was 3 pixels wide (all without touching the mouse).

If only pixels could be pulled from nowhere in real life. Just imagine what we could see if that was possible on images taken through our telescopes :D

darkhunter
2004-Oct-24, 08:05 AM
The one time I watched it, they decided who was guilty first ten went and found the evidence to back that up...

mickal555
2004-Oct-24, 08:21 AM
I like the origional CSI but for some reason i don't like that, tall sunglases man in CSI miami.

Candy
2004-Oct-24, 08:32 AM
I like the origional CSI but for some reason i don't like that, tall sunglases man in CSI miami. “Horatio Caine (http://www.cbs.com/primetime/csi_miami/home.shtml) is the lead criminologist, sort of the Grissom of the spin-off. But he's got a dangerous edge and a "blind allegiance to justice." :P

I watched NCSI for the first time tonight. 8)

mickal555
2004-Oct-24, 08:44 AM
I like the origional CSI but for some reason i don't like that, tall sunglases man in CSI miami. “Horatio Caine (http://www.cbs.com/primetime/csi_miami/home.shtml) is the lead criminologist, sort of the Grissom of the spin-off. But he's got a dangerous edge and a "blind allegiance to justice." :P

I watched NCSI for the first time tonight. 8)

I never watch that.... I want to though... but theres always movie's on at that time stupid ten thought they'd ditch sunday night movies and put on the crime shows leaving 7 and 9 to do the movies but ten always had the best any way.

Speeking of T.v we sure have a lot of crime/police shows; law and order, law and order:SVU, law and order: criminal intent CSI, CSI miami, NCIS, Crossing Jorden, Threat Matrix, Cold case, Stingers, Blue heelers, With out a trace, The Bill (and then some). Thats with all of our 4 chanels on the primetime slot.

The Supreme Canuck
2004-Oct-25, 01:54 AM
Don't forget CSI New York.

dvb
2004-Oct-25, 02:05 AM
I've caught a few episodes of CSI when I've been at a friends house, but don't really watch it other than that.

I remember one episode I watched where they used a baby monitor to listen in on someones cordless phone. I thought it was hillarious, and wondered why they couldn't just use a scanner. :-?

I think it may have been the same episode, but there's also this one scene where the detectives go into this guys house to question him. While they're in there, they install keylogging software on his computer so that they can monitor what he's doing. That was good science. Using a baby monitor is bad bad bad.

mickal555
2004-Oct-25, 03:25 AM
Don't forget CSI New York.
Ohhhhhhhhhh no!!! :o :o :o
We havn't got that one yet

Wally
2004-Oct-25, 02:58 PM
I like it. The only major problem I have is, is it standard practice for forensic examiners to interrogate suspects? :)

That's been my problem from day 1. I enjoy the show, for it's entertainment value, but for the CSI team to not just take part in interrogations, but to actually lead them most of the time, is plain silly! Not sure why the writers felt it necessary to do this. They could have easily extended the part of the lead detective and make him more part of the process, kinda like L&O does with the cops and the DA's. That would make it much more believable to me.

editted to add: On a show just on a week or so ago, the good looking female shows up on a crime scene at a hotel and shows what appears to be an ID card to gain access to the lobby. I'm pretty sure CSI members are part of the police force, and therefore would actually carry badges. Shouldn't she have shown a badge instead??? Just nit-picking now!

NASA Fan
2004-Oct-28, 04:36 AM
I like the show,

Over the summer I met a real forensics investigator, and I asked him his feelings on the show--he did not like it. He talked about all the fancy equipment that they have--he said that the only place he has ever seen it is at trade shows--it is too expensive for most departments to buy, the only ones who can usually aford it are the tv shows and movies.

He also complained about the investigators interviewing suspects.

I got the feeling that he grimaces over the bad forensics like we grimace over the bad astronomy.

Stuart
2004-Oct-28, 02:33 PM
I like the show,

Over the summer I met a real forensics investigator, and I asked him his feelings on the show--he did not like it. He talked about all the fancy equipment that they have--he said that the only place he has ever seen it is at trade shows--it is too expensive for most departments to buy, the only ones who can usually aford it are the tv shows and movies.

He also complained about the investigators interviewing suspects.

I got the feeling that he grimaces over the bad forensics like we grimace over the bad astronomy.

In fairness, it is stated in one of the earliest shows that the Las Vegas PD CSI unit is the best-funded and best-equipped in the country outside the FBI (primarily due to the need to keep crime rates low so as to keep the tourists coming - the Mob had the same basic concept when they ran the place only they did it by burying people who messed with tourists in the desert). In CSI-NY, the atmosphere of the CSI unit is very different, much less modrnistic and apparently not so well equipped.

Reacher
2004-Oct-28, 03:27 PM
The main thing that irks me about the show is the fact that they always supply two definitions for anything.
Example:
"This man suffered from hypertension."
[Other character, generally Grissolm or the mortician, looks at nobody in particular]
"He had high blood pressure."

It's obviously so that everyone knows what's going on, and I'm being picky, but it just seems so staged.

Also, at least in early seasons, they never had any lights on in the labs.

I do enjoy it, and watch it every night that it's on.

And I like Horatio Caine. I think he's really cool. Sure, he's no Grissolm, but he's definately interesting.

Gerrsun
2004-Oct-28, 03:34 PM
My wife and I watch CSI pretty regularly and we too notice they seem to have lots of money to do ALL sorts of tests and experiements.

This could explain why it is so dark in most of their labs. They cant pay the light bill. :D

Watch CSI/NY last night and the room he was interrogating the guy in absolutely looked like a dungeon. The walls looked like they were carved from stone and the lighting was horrible.

Musashi
2004-Oct-28, 03:45 PM
Well, I think that is part of the New York ... appeal? They took over some old old building (old for the Americas anyway :)) and so, the place isn't perfect for the jobs, but it sure looks neat.

I had forgotten about the tricks they manage with computer images. Everytime that happens I cringe a little inside and have to keep my mouth shut (my girlfriend is tired of hearing about how unrealiztic that is). But the shows are entertaining.

Gerrsun
2004-Oct-28, 04:27 PM
But i mean it looked like a dungeon, I was half expecting there to be leg irons, chains and iron maidens.

Stuart
2004-Oct-28, 04:30 PM
But i mean it looked like a dungeon, I was half expecting there to be leg irons, chains and iron maidens.

Ahhh, so you've dealt with the NYPD then?

Gerrsun
2004-Oct-28, 04:33 PM
heh! :D

Been to NY,NY once.

It was enough. :o

:lol:

Rue
2004-Oct-28, 04:54 PM
There was one episode (not sure if it was LV or M) where they recreate the scene of a shooting using lasers to show the trajectory of bullets. And of course the lasers are glowing independent of any dust or other matter in the air.

But overall it's a good franchise of shows. (maybe it'll lower the crime rate!)

gethen
2004-Oct-28, 07:19 PM
I haven't seen any of the shows myself, but I did hear a prominient defense attorney on CNN saying that the problem with the shows is that they get the average juror expecting things the police and attorneys can't provide. Then the jurors actually start thinking they can solve the crimes, instead of just listening to the evidence and deciding based on that like they're supposed to do.
Maybe I should give the programs a watching, as I usually love that true crime stuff.

Humphrey
2004-Oct-28, 08:20 PM
I enjoy the real versions more on Court TV and Discovery. They show real cases and talk to the real people who did them. They use accurate forensics and personally i find them very entertaining.

sts60
2004-Oct-29, 07:37 PM
I love CSI, but what drives me nuts is how they'll always take CCTV footage of a far off car or something, then magically enhance, zoom, crop and rotate the image to reveal the number plate that was 3 pixels wide (all without touching the mouse).

If only pixels could be pulled from nowhere in real life...

"If only"? Why, folks like Messrs. Hoagland, Guth, and 8-[ HWSNBN are masters of the art!

Humphrey
2004-Oct-29, 07:45 PM

If only pixels could be pulled from nowhere in real life...

"If only"? Why, folks like Messrs. Hoagland, Guth, and 8-[ HWSNBN are masters of the art!

Why be so complicated. IT's obvious all they have to do is hold a magnifying glass to the screen! [-(

Donnie B.
2004-Oct-29, 10:40 PM
Personally, I prefer Crossing Jordan to the CSI franchise. I find the stylized way CSI is shot, with hand-held cameras, strange angles and lighting, and occasional "earwig's eye views" of events inside a victim's body, to be annoying and distracting.

But I do watch it occasionally. I'm a sucker for mysteries. I still like the old Perry Mason shows, and I even watched Murder, She Wrote.

Candy
2004-Oct-29, 11:39 PM
Personally, I prefer Crossing Jordan to the CSI franchise. I find the stylized way CSI is shot, with hand-held cameras, strange angles and lighting, and occasional "earwig's eye views" of events inside a victim's body, to be annoying and distracting.

But I do watch it occasionally. I'm a sucker for mysteries. I still like the old Perry Mason shows, and I even watched Murder, She Wrote. I love the same shows. :D

Why doesn't anyone call Hamilton Burger (spelling) Hamburger? I've always wondered about that. :lol:

Donnie B.
2004-Nov-02, 04:24 PM

But I do watch it occasionally. I'm a sucker for mysteries. I still like the old Perry Mason shows, and I even watched Murder, She Wrote. I love the same shows. :D

Why doesn't anyone call Hamilton Burger (spelling) Hamburger? I've always wondered about that. :lol:
Uhmm... you just did.

My best friend in high school was named Charles Berger. He went by the name Chuck. But we never tried to stick him in a bun and cover him with ketchup. :P

Candy
2004-Nov-04, 04:38 AM
But I do watch it occasionally. I'm a sucker for mysteries. I still like the old Perry Mason shows, and I even watched Murder, She Wrote.
I remember seeing a B&W movie(s) with Perry Mason (not Raymond Burr) that was very different than the TV series. It was more risky with the relationship between Perry and Della Street. If I remember correctly, Paul Drake had a different first name.

Gee, you think I'd read the Perry Mason books by now. #-o

2004-Nov-05, 12:19 PM
Apart from the almost obligatory "single mother" and "struggling gambler" angles, I do enjoy CSI. I even bought a "Glow in the Dark" DVD package...How sad is that?? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: