PDA

View Full Version : Ashlee Simpson

Candy
2004-Oct-24, 03:44 AM
I think the book title should be The One Your Interested In Is Just Not That Into You! (http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/news?e=pri&dt=041022&cat=us&st=usnot_that_into_you _041022&src=abc)

A hot new dating guide is flying off bookshelves across the country. Oprah is gushing about it, and it hit No. 1 on Amazon's bestseller list last month. It's a relationship advice book with a title that says bluntly: "He's Just Not That Into You."
Don't let the Ophah or Sex in the City parts scare you off, please. I don't watch either of those shows.

After reading all the threads about relationships on here, I found some words of wisdom from this article that can work both ways. (Even though the book is catered toward women). I havenít read the book, but I might. 8-[

Quotes from the article:
'Your Friends Are Your Worst Nightmares'
Cold, Hard Common Sense
'It's Tough Love'

Lurker
2004-Oct-24, 03:58 AM
aaaww... Candy.... we aren't your worst enemies... um... I don't think... 8-[

j/k... :wink:

Candy
2004-Oct-24, 04:11 AM
Tuccillo says many women know about the torture of hanging on to a dubious relations. "There's nothing, nothing like the torture of waiting and hoping and longing and making excuses Ö that is the suffering of dating," Tuccillo told Oprah.

Behrendt says he's just telling women what men are really saying when they don't say anything. When the guy doesn't call, Behrendt told Oprah, "I know exactly what that dude's doing -- He is blowing you off, in the nicest possible way he can."

I rewrite but change the female and male roles.

"Men know about the torture of hanging on to a dubious relationship. 'There's nothing, nothing like the torture of waiting and hoping and longing and making excuses... that is the suffering of dating.'

Behrendt says he's just telling men what women are really saying when they don't say anything. When the girl doesn't call, Behrendt told Oprah, 'I know exactly what the chick's doing -- She is blowing you off, in the nicest possible way she can.'"

I have done the same thing to be nice to a man I didn't want to date. I have learned to now be honest, because anything other than the truth prolongs a bad situation. 8-[

Lurker
2004-Oct-24, 04:25 AM
I have done the same thing to be nice to a man I didn't want to date. I have learned to now be honest, because anything other than the truth prolongs a bad situation. 8-[
That's a good thing, because keeping guys in the dark isn't really fair either. But the thing I don't understand is how quickly we seem to be forced to decide whether someone is date material or not.

Rose and I started out as friends... and slowly fell in love over a very extended period. In this country it just seems that you have to a few dates to either be in the running... be just a friend... or be dropped....

Candy
2004-Oct-24, 04:50 AM
But the thing I don't understand is how quickly we seem to be forced to decide whether someone is date material or not... In this country it just seems that you have to a few dates to either be in the running... be just a friend... or be dropped.... I usually know in the first few moments of meeting a person whether I want to go out with them or not. If we have good eye contact and conversation, then it's a yes on a first date.

I tried the cyber-dating thing for about a month or so. I quickly found that bad writing is a clue to a bad phone conversation. I wonder what Humphry sounds like on the phone. 8-[ I had a cell phone at the time. The constant calling got so bad, I had it disconnected. I will never do that again. #-o

[If anyone is watching SNL, Ashley Simpson just missed her cue to LIP SINK. You could hear her voice, but she was not singing. #-o She walked off the stage. SNL went to a commercial. :lol: Oh, the tabloids!!!]

Jpax2003
2004-Oct-24, 05:02 AM
I heard this guy on WGM radio last week I think. They called it the biggest date book since "the rules"came out. Except this book doesn't try to tell you how to act. Instead, it tells you how it is. Or something like that.

From what I heard, its accurate.

Jpax2003
2004-Oct-24, 05:06 AM
But the thing I don't understand is how quickly we seem to be forced to decide whether someone is date material or not... In this country it just seems that you have to a few dates to either be in the running... be just a friend... or be dropped.... I usually know in the first few moments of meeting a person whether I want to go out with them or not. If we have good eye contact and conversation, then it's a yes on a first date.

I tried the cyber-dating thing for about a month or so. I quickly found that bad writing is a clue to a bad phone conversation. I wonder what Humphry sounds like on the phone. 8-[ I had a cell phone at the time. The constant calling got so bad, I had it disconnected. I will never do that again. #-o

[If anyone is watching SNL, Ashley Simpson just missed her cue to LIP SINK. You could hear her voice, but she was not singing. #-o She walked off the stage. SNL went to a commercial. :lol: Oh, the tabloids!!!]

Actually, they were playing the same song as the first act. I don't know if she was supposed to lip sync or not, but it was the wrong song.

Candy
2004-Oct-24, 05:15 AM
Actually, they were playing the same song as the first act. I don't know if she was supposed to lip sync or not, but it was the wrong song. That's what she said at the end of the show.

I heard her magically singing, but her lips weren't moving. She didn't even have the mic to her mouth. I thought SNL was supposed to be LIVE, not memorex. :roll:

Jpax2003
2004-Oct-24, 05:23 AM
Actually, they were playing the same song as the first act. I don't know if she was supposed to lip sync or not, but it was the wrong song. That's what she said at the end of the show.

I heard her magically singing, but her lips weren't moving. She didn't even have the mic to her mouth. I thought SNL was supposed to be LIVE, not memorex. :roll:Yes, that is what she said at the end of the show. However, she was correct in that it was the wrong song because they already played that song earlier. To my knowledge, no musical guest has ever performed the same song twice in an episode. The first song she performed was "pieces of me" and the second song they began playing was also 'pieces of me" live, recorded, or otherwise.

Normandy6644
2004-Oct-24, 05:24 AM
Was it her main voice or like a backup? I didn't get to see it, but I do know that sometimes singers have themselves singing backup on certain songs and then sing the lead live. I'm gonna have to try and find a clip of the show.

Candy
2004-Oct-24, 05:39 AM
Was it her main voice or like a backup? I didn't get to see it, but I do know that sometimes singers have themselves singing backup on certain songs and then sing the lead live. I'm gonna have to try and find a clip of the show. I didn't see any background singers, and I don't know her music well enough.

It was almost like the band was doing a play guitar thing, too. Except, they didn't walk off the stage. They continued to play the wrong song. They, too, appeared confused. #-o

[edit to add - why not just stop, compose yourself, and play the right song?]

Explain that, Jpax! :o

Jpax2003
2004-Oct-24, 06:32 AM
Was it her main voice or like a backup? I didn't get to see it, but I do know that sometimes singers have themselves singing backup on certain songs and then sing the lead live. I'm gonna have to try and find a clip of the show. I didn't see any background singers, and I don't know her music well enough.

It was almost like the band was doing a play guitar thing, too. Except, they didn't walk off the stage. They continued to play the wrong song. They, too, appeared confused. #-o

Explain that, Jpax! :oI will not.

2004-Oct-24, 06:57 AM
As a video maker -- director of 50 public-access live-on-tape talk shows -- I wish I had been in the control room to watch that meltdown. Our philosophy was that we never, well hardly ever, stopped taping, that production disasters probably make the most exciting video. That SNL was pretty bad for pros, though. The talent should have hung in there, told the control room of their error, and waited for them to get it right -- but it is pretty embarrassing to get caught syncing.

Hey. SNL isn't live for us west-coasters! For once, I'm glad. I can watch the screwup. The show just started. Thanks for the heads-up.

I did get to see a mini-snafu on a field trip to a local evening news prodcution, live of course. Reporter in the field started his segment, his lips moved, but you didn't hear anything on the control-room monitors. Already, I was thinking, Back to the anchor! The director, though, said to audio, "I'm not getting any audio..." Audio said, "I'm getting it." Director said, "He's talking, but I don't hear anything. Are your needles moving?" Me: Back to the anchor! Back to the anchor! Audio: "Yeah, needle's moving." Director: "I'm not getting anything. Are you sure?"

Man, it took them another half-minute to decide there really was a problem. That station had a reputation for production problems, and now I knew some of the faces behind the incompetence.

Candy
2004-Oct-24, 07:06 AM
Hey. SNL isn't live for us west-coasters! For once, I'm glad. I can watch the screwup. The show just started. Thanks for the heads-up. Cool, expert eyes! Now, don't dare leave the television after 30 minutes into the show. 8-[

sarongsong
2004-Oct-24, 08:48 AM
...Oh, the tabloids!!!
Drudge is on it:
"Poptart Ashlee Simpson Walks Off Stage After Lip-sync Flub During NBC's SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE... Developing... "

Candy
2004-Oct-24, 10:14 AM
Read down the thread to Yellow67r at 50 minutes past the hour! (http://boards.nbc.com/bb//showflat.php?Cat=&Number=115664&page=&view=&sb=5&o =&fpart=4&vc=1) Thatís exactly the same time I saw Ashlee Simpson walk off the stage live on TV. If you read through the rest of the thread, it appears that the Drummer is being blamed. :roll:

Humphrey
2004-Oct-24, 06:58 PM
I wonder what Humphry sounds like on the phone. 8-[

Deep baratone with a smooth melody of rhythem in my voice. Mear utterances of words have cause women to fall to their knees in thankfulness of the pleasure......

That or i sound like a immature college kid. :-P At least i spell everything correctly when i talk!

Lurker
2004-Oct-24, 07:07 PM

Deep baratone with a smooth melody of rhythem in my voice. Mear utterances of words have cause women to fall to their knees in thankfulness of the pleasure......

That or i sound like a immature college kid. :-P At least i spell everything correctly when i talk!
Hmmmmm.... yeah... :-k

Cylinder
2004-Oct-24, 07:40 PM
Deep baratone with a smooth melody of rhythem in my voice. Mear utterances of words have cause women to fall to their knees in thankfulness of the pleasure...

Barry White meets Weird Al? :P

Jpax2003
2004-Oct-24, 07:49 PM
Deep baratone with a smooth melody of rhythem in my voice. Mear utterances of words have cause women to fall to their knees in thankfulness of the pleasure...

Barry White meets Weird Al? :PHow about like the killer 'toon from "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"

sarongsong
2004-Oct-24, 08:20 PM
...Oh, the tabloids!!!
Drudge is on it:
"Poptart Ashlee Simpson Walks Off Stage After Lip-sync Flub During NBC's SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE... Developing... "
Full story (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/gossip/story/245688p-210457c.html):
"...when she came out to debut the song "Autobiography" for a second set. But whoever was responsible for piping in a studio-engineered rendition for Simpson to mouth screwed up, playing "Pieces" once again...Simpson apologized to her fans - and blamed her band for playing the wrong song."

Normandy6644
2004-Oct-24, 08:29 PM
Here (www.collegehumor.com/news/ashlee_snl.wmv) is the video if anyone is interested.

Candy
2004-Oct-24, 08:58 PM

Really? Call me. 8-[

Cylinder
2004-Oct-24, 08:59 PM
Here (www.collegehumor.com/news/ashlee_snl.wmv) is the video if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the link - I gave up on SNL years ago. What's interesting about the clip is that she is obviously trying to lip-sych. These's no way around that. If you notice when the shot frames the two guitarists (after Ms. Simpson exits stage right), they seemed to take a good bit of pleasure at the gaff. There is one of those obvious "Couldn't have happened to a better person." smiles. I don't have anything against poor Ashlee, but I love seeing people getting their just reward. Too funny.

Normandy6644
2004-Oct-24, 10:44 PM

Thanks for the link - I gave up on SNL years ago. What's interesting about the clip is that she is obviously trying to lip-sych. These's no way around that. If you notice when the shot frames the two guitarists (after Ms. Simpson exits stage right), they seemed to take a good bit of pleasure at the gaff. There is one of those obvious "Couldn't have happened to a better person." smiles. I don't have anything against poor Ashlee, but I love seeing people getting their just reward. Too funny.

I noticed that too about the musicians. I don't know anything about her whatsoever, so I'm in position to judge whether or not she "deserved it."

Cylinder
2004-Oct-24, 10:55 PM
I noticed that too about the musicians. I don't know anything about her whatsoever, so I'm in position to judge whether or not she "deserved it."

I agreee. Maybe my comments were misleading - certainly they can be classified as idle gossip. I guess it's the price of seeking celebrity. The comment was just my little intrepretation of the reaction of the band.

As far as "just reward," the penalty for deception is public exposure. [Yul Brenner]So let it be written, so let be done.[/Yul Brenner] :P

Candy
2004-Oct-24, 10:56 PM
I'm now starting to feel sorry for her after reading some of the hate email she is getting from former fans.

I believe I saw it somewhere that SNL just ruined her career with the technical catastrophe.

Others are upset, like me, because I seriously thought SNL was live, besides the obvious parody commercial type clips. [-X

[edit to clean up lengthy post] :wink:

Jpax2003
2004-Oct-24, 11:06 PM
I believe I saw it somewhere that SNL just ruined her career with the technical catastrophe.

Others are upset, like me, because I seriously thought SNL was live, besides the obvious parady commercial type clips. [-XThey ruined her career? On the bright side, I won't hear that annoying song of her's on the radio anymore. The second song was supposed to be "autobiography" which sounds ominous. What does she have for as autobiography so far, stories about her famous and talented sister?

I knew parts of SNL were not live, but always thought the musical performances usually were, although I have had doubts over the years. I thought it was a lip-sync slip, but did realize it was the same song as the first performance and didn't know what to make of it. I don't think the lip-sync is the issue (for me) but the fact that she blamed her band for the screw-up. Just like Milli Vanilli, the coverup was the real issue. I'm just waiting for the Daily Show to tell her "Girl, you know it's true..."

Enzp
2004-Oct-24, 11:15 PM
Interesting that she blames the band for the control room running the wrong tracks.

There is one of those behind the music shows somewhere on cable that covers the making of her album. She came off as a self absorbed little twit in my humble view. The recording engineer was trying hard to accomodate her. It was clear that getting a good track in the can was going to be a lot of work for them. She was busy pouting mostly.

I recall forty some years ago one day on American Bandstand that then famous Jimmy Dean - yes, the sausage guy - came out to "sing" his latest hit, and they played some other artist's song. He was snapping his fingers, getting ready to sing and broke down laughing. He was a trouper and they then corrected the error after Dick CLark came out an said his sorries. DOn't recall the song now. It happens.

Candy
2004-Oct-24, 11:23 PM
Interesting that she blames the band for the control room running the wrong tracks. She's a teenager. I remember being good at blaming everybody for everything that ever went wrong in my life. :o I've matured since then. :wink:

Or she really thought the band was playing the wrong song. Sounds like a Simpson trait. 8-[

Jpax2003
2004-Oct-24, 11:28 PM
Interesting that she blames the band for the control room running the wrong tracks. She's a teenager. I remember being good at blaming everybody for everything that ever went wrong in my life. :o I've matured since then. :wink:

Or she really thought the band was playing the wrong song. Sounds like a Simpson trait. 8-[So, is something fishy or was she chicken?

Is it lip-sync or is it karaoke?

Is it simple or is it Simpson?

SciFi Chick
2004-Oct-24, 11:35 PM

Or she really thought the band was playing the wrong song. Sounds like a Simpson trait. 8-[

Boo hoo. Cry me a river. I'm so sick of the music industry "creating" stars. You don't have to be able to sing. You don't have to have any talent whatsoever. Heck - you don't even have to be attractive. You just have to follow instructions and be willing to deceive the nation.

I don't feel a bit sorry for her. No grace under pressure whatsoever, and being a teenager has NOTHING to do with it. I used to sing as a teenager, and things go wrong even more often when it's amateur. I NEVER walked off stage. I never lost my temper. I never blamed other people for my mistakes.

You're being too generous Candy. :D

Candy
2004-Oct-24, 11:43 PM
I used to sing as a teenager... My Media Player is ready. :P

Cylinder
2004-Oct-24, 11:47 PM
I used to sing as a teenager...

Are we talking Joan Jett or Whitney Houston? :P

Jpax2003
2004-Oct-24, 11:48 PM
I thought you still were a teenager...

SciFi Chick
2004-Oct-25, 12:21 AM
I thought you still were a teenager...

I may or may not be. It is the policy of this poster to keep her age to herself. :wink:

But seriously, I am over 21. After that, what difference does it really make? :D

SciFi Chick
2004-Oct-25, 12:22 AM

Are we talking Joan Jett or Whitney Houston? :P

Definitely Whitney Houston.

I would say my voice is Celine Dion meets Norah Jones. :D

SciFi Chick
2004-Oct-25, 12:23 AM
I used to sing as a teenager... My Media Player is ready. :P

I'm glad. It's good to know that all your software is in working order. :wink:

Wally
2004-Oct-25, 02:36 PM
Others are upset, like me, because I seriously thought SNL was live, besides the obvious parody commercial type clips. [-X

[edit to clean up lengthy post] :wink:

What do you mean, you "thought" SNL was live. It IS live! Don't let the fact that more and more of today's cookie-cutter pop stars lip-sync their entire "live" performances (aka Ms. Spears) ruin your taste for SNL itself. They probably cannot force a performer to actually sing (or they choose not to try, thinking it's the performer who's screwing the audience, not them).

On CNN.com, her possie is saying they were supposed to play a tape of some "background electronic percussion" (paraphrased), but instead played an actual recording of her first song. Funny, how they just happened to have that recording sitting around. . . #-o

Jpax2003
2004-Oct-25, 04:15 PM
I read somewhere that they had a backup tape because her voice was failing. They said she wanted to sing, but doc told her not to because she had a live performance on Monday. So, the idea was that they would lip-sync at SNL as preventative medicine. Then the story goes that the drummer was supposed to signal the recording engineer to play back the song, but it was the wrong song. Oh well, I'd be fine if she just faded into obscurity.

sarongsong
2004-Oct-25, 10:23 PM
She gets another chance---some kind of music awards show tonight. Maybe she'll just be a presenter?

Candy
2004-Oct-25, 10:33 PM
She gets another chance---some kind of music awards show tonight. Maybe she'll just be a presenter? :o

Do you know any of the details. I just may have to watch for curiousity reasons only. :wink:

SciFi Chick
2004-Oct-25, 11:05 PM
She gets another chance---some kind of music awards show tonight. Maybe she'll just be a presenter? :o

Do you know any of the details. I just may have to watch for curiousity reasons only. :wink:

Tonight's 2004 Radio Music Awards (9 pm/ET on NBC).

sarongsong
2004-Oct-25, 11:06 PM
:...Simpson is scheduled to perform in Las Vegas for NBC's "Radio Music Awards," scheduled to be televised at 9 p.m. ET..."
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041025/D85UIJ3G0.html
Local radio news reports her dad says she "had a sore throat"---despite Lorne Michaels' (the producer/director) assertion that "if it's not live, it doesn't get on SNL".

Jpax2003
2004-Oct-25, 11:12 PM
:...Simpson is scheduled to perform in Las Vegas for NBC's "Radio Music Awards," scheduled to be televised at 9 p.m. ET..."
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041025/D85UIJ3G0.html
Local radio news reports her dad says she "had a sore throat"---despite Lorne Michaels' (the producer/director) assertion that "if it's not live, it doesn't get on SNL".Maybe they should rename SNL to "Simpson's Not Live"

2005-Jan-05, 03:35 AM
Whew. That was close, for Ashlee.

Kelly Clarkson started out the Orange Bowl halftime show, flapping her lips without being heard. For about 15 seconds the music was there but her voice wasn't.

Ashlee went third and finished up OK. Were those boos I heard at the conclusion?

Maksutov
2005-Jan-05, 04:21 AM
Whew. That was close, for Ashlee.

Kelly Clarkson started out the Orange Bowl halftime show, flapping her lips without being heard. For about 15 seconds the music was there but her voice wasn't.

Ashlee went third and finished up OK. Were those boos I heard at the conclusion?
Based on the hurting USC's putting on Oklahoma, the Sooners must be starting to hum "Enjoy Yourself, It's Later Than You Think".

Remember when the Orange Bowl was played in the Orange Bowl?

sarongsong
2005-Jan-05, 09:09 AM
...Remember when the Orange Bowl was played in the Orange Bowl?
Yeah---and USC played the Rose Bowl---wha' happened?

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Jan-05, 06:12 PM
Were those boos I heard at the conclusion?
This webpage (http://simpsonboo.notlong.com/) has a www.lipsync.us (http://www.lipsync.us/download.php?f=(link.

Rip, is that you? :)

Candy
2005-Jan-05, 11:07 PM
Thought I better change the title. 8-[

Doe, John
2005-Jan-05, 11:44 PM
I thought it was a new thread and was going "what the heck?" for the first few posts. Ashlee?? give me a break.

Candy
2005-Jan-06, 12:27 AM
Were those boos I heard at the conclusion?
This webpage (http://simpsonboo.notlong.com/) has a www.lipsync.us (http://www.lipsync.us/download.php?f=(link.

Rip, is that you? :)
Can that girl get a break? No! :lol: :lol: :lol: