PDA

View Full Version : Next Door Neighbors? Earth-Sized Planet Discovered in Nearest Star System to Us

Fraser
2012-Oct-16, 10:20 PM
Artistís impression of the planet around Alpha Centauri B. Credit: ESO Astronomers have discovered an enticing new planet that could be considered our next-door neighbor. The planet is orbiting a star in the Alpha Centauri system — the closest system to our own, just 4.3 light years away — and the planet has a mass [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/98031/next-door-neighbors-earth-sized-planet-discovered-in-nearest-star-system-to-us/)

IsaacKuo
2012-Oct-16, 10:29 PM
YESSS!!!!! I can hardly contain my excitement!

I wonder if this planet could have a carbon dioxide atmosphere? My guess is that it's so close that it either has no atmosphere or some sort of weird rock atmosphere. Anyone more knowledgeable about exoplanet atmosphere theory care to chime in?

Selfsim
2012-Oct-17, 01:08 AM
Oh brother .. here we go Ö :rolleyes:

kzb
2012-Oct-17, 05:28 PM
YESSS!!!!! I can hardly contain my excitement!

Isaac I see this has jolted you out of the ho-hum, not another planet -boredom you were in, in the interesting exoplanets thread?

Anyway, excellent news. Hopefully it could generate some political will to spend the money on space hardware that could actually image this planet, plus any others further out that could have a better climate. I hope it makes the main TV news tonight.

Yesterday, I saw there was going to be an announcement about an important exoplanet discovery, I was wondering what it could possibly be to get such special treatment.