PDA

View Full Version : Orionid Meteor Shower Peaks Oct 20-21

Centaur
2012-Oct-17, 06:03 PM
The annual Orionid meteor shower is expected to peak during the weekend night of 2012 OCT 20-21. The waxing crescent Moon will have set before the prime viewing hours between local midnight and dawn when observers will be on the side of the Earth plowing into the meteor stream. The constellation Orion is the radiant, meaning that the meteors’ tails will be pointing back toward Orion. However, the meteors are just as likely to be seen anywhere in the sky.

See my webpage that features a 2009-2018 calendar for the major meteor showers, including global peak predictions and the situations regarding interference from the Moon: www.CurtRenz.com/asteroids

Descriptions and perhaps lucky photos of the meteors would be welcome additions to this thread.

AtomicDog
2012-Oct-20, 06:58 PM
I saw one this morning around 12:30am while walking the dog.

Trail about two degrees long from east to west in the northern sky.

Centaur
2012-Oct-25, 04:06 PM
I saw one this morning around 12:30am while walking the dog.

Trail about two degrees long from east to west in the northern sky.

Thanks for your report, AtomicDog. The Orionids were disappointing this year except for a few brief peaks. The greatest activity appears to have been around dawn in North America on October 20th. Here's a link to a detailed global summary from the International Meteor Organization: http://www.imo.net/live/orionids2012/

The next major shower is expected to be the Leonids peaking during the night of November 16-17, especially after midnight. The waxing crescent Moon during the evening should present no problem: www.CurtRenz.com/asteroids